• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortissimo III good with Grados?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrSelfDestruct

I had this posted in the sound card forum but i dont think too many people go in there. So sorry if this seems double posted.

Anyway, I just got a set of Grado sr60s and because they sound so clear I'm noticing just how bad the sound cards I have are. I tried my onboard sound (k7s5a mobo) and it's just not loud enough. Then I tried a card I have borrowed off a buddy (think its a mad dog or something like that) but I can hear soo much hiss coming from it. So I'm planning on getting a new card. I was going to get the Hercules Gamesurround Muse XL, but then I saw that the Fortissimo III was only $10 after rebate at compusa. Would the Fortissimo sound better than the Muse with my Grados? I think the Fortissimo is 20 bit and the Muse is 16 bit. I'm planning on getting one today, so if anyone has any thoughts on these cards.... Thanks!:)

ToledoSteel

I had the Fortissimo II, then went to the TB Santa Cruz, now I am going M-Audio Revolution. If you get good headphones you start to notice all the problems with your card. I thought the TB was great till I got some Senn 590's. Now I think it sucks. I would try a few different cards out. Maybe buy them at Circuit City that way there is no restocking fee. Some people are bothered by noises that others aren't. You may find that you need to buy a better card then you originally thought.

OP
M

MrSelfDestruct

Well I went ahead and got the Fortissimo III yesterday, and so far it sounds good to my ears. $30 seemed like a good price for a halfway decent sound card. I may look into something more quality in the future. Thanks for the reply ToledoSteel. :)

Oh and does anybody know anything about the Dolby Headphone thing that comes with the newer versions of WinDVD? Does it actually work?