• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forum Wars 2008 (Summer Warz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Attn Unlimited Xtreme Class.​

Gomeler, Matt and Todd.

This is an (all most) anything goes class!!

In this class you can use (all most) whatever hardware you like.

You could post your stockscores with a E6600 and 7900GT if you wanted, and then bench with a QX9650 and two 4870X2's.

This also means you can change cpu's per test. ie: E8600 for SPI and a QX9650 for wPrime etc etc :)

But to be it this class, Maxi and myself have to be sure you have the time, skills, hardware and cooling needed.

If this does not sound like you, please let us know asap.

Many thanks

Dean

My main question is...it says unlimited downgrades...would going from 2x 3870X2's to a single 4870 X2 be concidered a downgrade?

Been thinking about doing that on XP runs then using the quad setup for vista runs...just want to make sure on the rules before hand...

same question as glock diff hardware.

which CPU of the 2 in my sig is considered better and therefore swapping to the other would be a downgrade?

I'll come back to both of you soon on those :)

Sweet....Thanks for teh vote of confidence Dean and Mark!!

I'll do my best ...hmmm maybe I'll need a bigger dewar for this, seems the 25lt burns away so fast these days :santa: lol

Dean, I should have my 3870x2 by the middle of next week. Since this is a hardware upgrade should I just edit my original stock score thead or create a new one altogether.

Just edit it.

I'm going to update the database with all the scores tomorrow, I'll just leave yours for now.

Can you PM me when it's done.

Ok guys,

Time to get those stock scores posted..

If you haven't done them, please get onto it asap.

Please take note of the first post on how they need to be done.
Things like date stamps, settings window open for AM3 are the main ones.

But it save us both time to get it right the first time ;)

Thanks

Dean.

Mine will be in tonight....I will only get the rampage extreme on Tue or Wed...that is still OK to change to that, correct Dean?

hey guys need some last minute pushing dean knows the story with my current 8500 bottom line is i need another chip. cant decide between 84/85/86 im 99% sure that the 8500 is worth the extra $18 over the 84 so i can use the .5 multi but i cant pick weather the 8600 is $104 better then the 8500.

quick decide for me. two issues something in my system wouldnt let me Overclock to 5ghz with the 8500 cos i needed 527 FSB was either a chip wall or a x48 wall. would the 8600 overcome that? if not ill get the 8500. other issue is price :p

hey guys need some last minute pushing dean knows the story with my current 8500 bottom line is i need another chip. cant decide between 84/85/86 im 99% sure that the 8500 is worth the extra $18 over the 84 so i can use the .5 multi but i cant pick weather the 8600 is $104 better then the 8500.

quick decide for me. two issues something in my system wouldnt let me Overclock to 5ghz with the 8500 cos i needed 527 FSB was either a chip wall or a x48 wall. would the 8600 overcome that? if not ill get the 8500. other issue is price :p

Lets break this down real quick...the 85/86 E0's OC almost right together...so in reallity...is it worth 104.00 to YOU for the exta .5 multiplier...

It is the board IMO, that X48 is not the greatest with 45nm chips, so I think getting another e8500, unless you get a super one, will not make that huge difference, also as you know buying retail chips are luck of the draw, I would try and by one (E8500 or an E8600) from the local bench guys that has a proven chip, otherwise stay with what you have, 4.9 G's on an E8500 is pretty darn good.

yea i kno and after glock gettin the sameish result im pretty sure the next will do the same.

im in aus brollocks so i am pretty much the local bench guy from all the ppl i know. well me and jolly_swagman. i need this chip for FW so dont have time to get one from you guys in the states.

Albyno, stay with that chip you have, make it real cool and clock the snot out of it...you know how so I have no doubt you gonna hit some high numbers ;)

i thoguht 4.9 was the snot out of it .

If i add more .x voltage to my FSB how much before the FSB starts gettin overheated? the boards maxx is .35

i thoguht 4.9 was the snot out of it .

If i add more .x voltage to my FSB how much before the FSB starts gettin overheated? the boards maxx is .35

At that FSB and Ghz you need more v-core and more voltage on the NB, it is not so much the FSB voltage that matter, FSB at 550 and above then you need some serious FSb voltage, but you still OK at say 515-530, remember to keep that NB cool as well and pump the voltage

hmmm might reach 5.0 after all. wasnt sure how much to add to the NB. whats safe under the gigabyete heatpipe? or should i jerryrig a 120 or 2 to blow onto the mobo for those overclocks?

I would remove the NB, SB and PWM sinks and put fresh TIM on to start with, you will definately need a good fan across the NB HS, also keep the PWM's cool as well with a fan blwoing across 'em.

well jsut picked up another 8500 the dude tried to slip me a c0, well that jsut wasnt going to happen so he opend 'a new box' and found e0's turns out its the exact same batch as my other one q822 so should be fairly similar results jsut hoping for a lower vid but not too fussed other is 1.25 and still got 4.9.

as for cooling ill consider pulling all the gigabyte sinks off once FW starts dont have time need to do all the stock runs. but is the gigabyte paste that bad and would it be worse then the stuff thermalright give with the true...thats all i have atm.

and as for cooling the pwms/nb is the exhaust fan not enough air flow? should i have a fan blowing directly onto it? cos that will be a bit interesting to hook up.

Back