• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

foxconn (austin) ps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaptcha0s

I'm looking at a chieftec case at newegg.com that comes with a 450w foxconn(austin) ps for $80. Are these ps of good quality? I have read they were noisy but nothing on quality. I plan to do some overclocking and will have the basic stuff to supply power to. Is this throwing hard earned cash into something I should not?

larrymoencurly

Foxconn, Austin = Deer, which put the "K" in "Quality."

You know how components are usually overrated? Like a PSU that may draw 6A max @ 120VAC will contain transistors rated for 10-12A? You'll find this even in super cheap PSUs, but I saw a 250W Deer where they were rated for just 3A.

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
And that "K" stands for "Kapow" - these are very poorly made units and have been known to take other parts of the system with them. Certainly not a good overclocking choice. I would see if you could get the case with a Sparkle/Fortron unit.