• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

frame rate drop with sli.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
A friend of mine is over and I am helping him setup his car in project cars 2.
with sli "off" at one point on the track I get A frame rate drop from 60 to 56, and it's not awful bad.
with sli "on" I get A drop from 60 to the upper 40's, and it's real awful.
the cards show about 35% usage, the cpu shows about 20% usage at that point, the card clocks are down around 1300 at this point.
What could be going on?
cards, gtx 1080, one is ftw the other is hybrid.
cpu, [email protected].
all ssd's in the rig.
32 gigs, 3000 ram.

ShrimpBrime

~MadHatDeLidder~
Project Cars 2 does not support SLI. Most benches show similar FPS running a single card.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
its pretty common for SLI to have issues like this in games that it isn't supported, a lot of the time it actually hurts fps when enabled.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Frame Rate or Frame Time (not FPS or response time) will drop a certain percentage when using SLI or Crossfire due to the extra hop in communication between the multiple GPUs. People always look at FPS in comparing these types of setups. I've personally tested a few different multi-gpu configs in my system, and I always found that the increase in FPS was not sufficient enough to hide away the loss in Frame Rate. Single card solutions will always win out in Frame Rate.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
FTFY. :)
Frame Time (not FPS or response time) will drop a certain percentage when using SLI or Crossfire due to the extra hop in communication between the multiple GPUs. People always look at FPS in comparing these types of setups. I've personally tested a few different multi-gpu configs in my system, and I always found that the increase in FPS was not sufficient enough to hide away the loss in Frame time. Single card solutions will always win out in Frame time.

Frame Rate = FPS. Frame Time is what you are talking about and is a known issue with multi-GPU setups...some worse than others (micro stutter).

Good reminder of what it is, but in this case, has nothing to do with the OP. :)

Last edited:
OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
soooooo, I have swung A deal on A pascal titan, I guess that means it goes in the game rig and I build A new rig so the 1080s have A home... what A shame.
I never saw it till my friend played and I could watch the numbers in after burner.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
FTFY. :)

Frame Rate = FPS. Frame Time is what you are talking about and is a known issue with multi-GPU setups...some worse than others (micro stutter).

Good reminder of what it is, but in this case, has nothing to do with the OP. :)

:-/ Oops, I've had that backwards than for sometime.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I got a snap of afterburner, don't ask for another because I just can't do it again.
with sli enabled it seems to split the workload between the two cards but will not exceed 50% load per card.

crash2.png

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Because the game doesn't support SLI like was mentioned earlier?

You can try renaming the game .exe to a known game that has a profile and see if that works, otherwise, you have your answer I think, no?

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
yep, I has my answer to the issue.
there are further questions.
#1, why does the system use both cards but only up to 50%?
why does it not simply load it all on to one card?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
1. Because it doesn't support SLI
2. See #1. It isn't smart enough to automatically sense it doesnt have a profile and attempts it? Not 100% sure.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
1. Because it doesn't support SLI
2. See #1. It isn't smart enough to automatically sense it doesnt have a profile and attempts it? Not 100% sure.

the driver or the game or both, because one does and one does not? refering to #2

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Pictures are worth a thousand words, but not sure what they are saying, here... you disabled SLI?