• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free 1gig alternative to Gmail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fightingpiper

Found this today for those of you itching for a free 1 gig email box......Walla!Mail

Here's an article on the email service. Looks like an Isrealie company, Its ad supported but only from the the info you give when you sign up and not contextual adds like gmail....

Havn't signed up yet but I'll let you know what I think..

I was looking at G mail today, I don't understand why they would do this. Millions of people will try and sign up for it, they will need amazing amounts of storage space. I know its partially add suported but still the amount of servers/ hard drives they will need for this is huge.

google is looking at becoming a publically traded company soon, also.

and when they get the amount of advertising contracts that they do...a thousand hard drives isnt a big deal. lol

Fightingpiper said:
Found this today for those of you itching for a free 1 gig email box......Walla!Mail

Havn't signed up yet but I'll let you know what I think..

Well Ive used it for a couple of days now and its a good basic email. definitly doesnt have the bells and whisltes that Gmail has but then again there is something to be said for simplicity. Plus I dont have all the contextual adds running in the sidebar like Gmail, only the banner ad.

Also walla supports the Opera browser which Gmail does not and when I set it to identify itself as Opera as opposed to IE the banner ads dont show up at all. Well I have more email space now than I will ever need with Yahoo and hotmail increasing theirs and now with a Gmail and a Walla account both at 1 gig. What to do with all the space......

i read something about a p2p service that took advantage of G-mail's storage space, but the 1 gig thing is basically just a selling point "more space is better", but I doubt most people can fill that up, unless they get the crap spammed outta their inbox

I realy love my earthlink email, is there any reason to move to Gmail? I can get an address. With EL I have never gotten a spam message in the last 2 years. It has a nice software suite and its fast.

Back