• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free CPU HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chixofnix

Wao!

Handily, I AM a short excursion from a Microcenter!

I was casually waiting for a great deal on a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 to come along... I would very much like a quieter solution than the stock Phenon II heatsink/fan! Some quick checks on this guy's performance, and I'm pretty much sold however!

Here it is stacked against the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, with impressive results! It doesn't quite best my target, but has very acceptable temps at load. The article makes it clear the same people were behind both designs....

It looks like I can expect a 20-25 rise max from ambient with the fan undervolted to ~5-6V, so I should be a happy camper regarding getting my noise under control.

The only thing that gives me pause is the potential for noise with the 92mm, where I definitely have the case space for a large 120mm option. But at the risk of losing $1+tax, I think I'll have to give this a shot =).

OP
H

Headstand

Wow, that sucks. I found it and can't get one. Anyone near a MC want to get me one and ship it to APO? While you are there, I could use a new mobo and an i7 920, maybe some ram, a PSU, a GPU or 2(or 3 :) ) how about the obsidian case, dual 24 inch monitors, or and don't forget the USB powered dart gun!
:) :) :)

Chixofnix

FYI: Same OCZ rebate program pulls $15 off the Vendetta 2. Same thing except 120mm like the Xigmatex s1283. In fact VERY MUCH like the s1283. Various review sites place either ahead of each other by marginal amounts, so I'd consider them equals for performance.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0285949

Final price is $25+tax AR

I'm jumping on the free* 92mm one though :D

(*$1.75 after tax, for me)

Last edited:

Chixofnix

installed last night - as quiet as a mouse (no, fan is not squeaky)!

Best $1.75 I've spent in a long time!

I forgot how odd the regular shopping crowd is there though... :D The guys I was behind in the service line for my pickup could have used a shower a few days ago :p.

Haven't given it a thorough stress-testing yet, but with the stock fan it appears this HS is more than capable of CPU-intensive gaming in my rig (closed panel) without ramping up to audible levels - it's well below the noise threshold of my stock 5770 fan - that's the only thing I hear now).

this is the 92mm version...

Correct. I was pointing out the 120mm version is on sale as well for a good price. At $25+tax, it's not as good as free+tax, but if you were in the market for something along the lines of a Xigmatek s1283 or Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme - this is the same tier of performance/dimensions for a low cost.

Last edited:

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Anyone who lives near a microcenter want to ship one to a fellow member? I assume this is light years ahead of my XP90C?

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
There's one 3 hours from where I live but it's about $20 in gas plus it's in Detroit, and I'm too lazy to epoxy hub caps on my car to deter thefts. (...not to mention epoxies sucks when it's cold outside at 20 degree F or -7C )

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
There's one 3 hours from where I live but it's about $20 in gas plus it's in Detroit, and I'm too lazy to epoxy hub caps on my car to deter thefts. (...not to mention epoxies sucks when it's cold outside at 20 degree F or -7C )

Being from Michigan as well, this made me :clap: You aren't from near Lansing are you?

Chixofnix

Anyone who lives near a microcenter want to ship one to a fellow member? I assume this is light years ahead of my XP90C?

"Only one rebate per promotion per household..." so I'm out of the running after mine, sorry!

Re: your XP90C... well that is a beautiful hunk of metal! I tried a bit to find some reviews to indirectly compare performance between the two (or one site doing C/W measurements with the same rig), but w/o any luck... then again I didn't really scour just casual googling...

I've got some solid-copper beauties past their prime myself... I wonder if it's worth the time to try bringing to a metal scrap buyer?

nealric said:
Dang...

I just went to micro-center the day before yesterday. It's an hour away from me- so not worth it for just a fan.

Just noticed this - the thread title could be a bit misleading... if it wasn't clear, this is for a quite decent heatsink and fan, not just a HSF - pretty good deal ;).

[EDIT]: Further comments on the noise - I've developed that wonderful condition where I approach my hibernating computer, reach for the power button only to find I'm turning the computer off instead of on. At idle and in light use this is effectively dead-silent to my ears (closed case, on the floor).

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Just noticed this - the thread title could be a bit misleading... if it wasn't clear, this is for a quite decent heatsink and fan, not just a HSF - pretty good deal ;).

Got a PIN number? Heat Sink Fan. So this is for a heat sink, fan, and a fan? Push-pull TRUE 120?