• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FreeSync causes flickering / flashing in Games / Game Menu ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hi, recently bought a new BenQ XL2730Z monitor, I notice some serious flickering / flashing in the game of Company of Heroes 2 on the Menu. But not during in game, even bring up the STEAM Overlay I'm seeing the flicker. Though on the Menu, the FPS is locked at 30 FPS.
Also I notice the game maximum refresh rate is only up to 120hz, mine is a 144hz monitor. Some claimed the flicker / flashing is caused by Free Sync, I wonder is that true.
Now I've come across this article about G-SYNC having a similar issue. Im having a hard time even processing this info....just want to know what's are you Guru(s) opinion on this ? :-/

http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-sync-monitors-flicker-in-some-games-and-here-why

I did asked why it flicker on the Game Section.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/767365-COH2-Main-Menu-flashing-flickering-like-mad

Anyways I went ahead and tried it, it's true turning off FreeSync does solve the flickering / flashing on Company of Heroes 2 Menu.
But thing is, is this issue a permanent or is it just a Driver issue ? Im using Crimson though and it doesn't seem to be stable at the moment.

I see the same thing with Just Cause 3 with freesync on for what it's worth. I agree I think it is the being stuck at 30fps makes it have issues.

I see the same thing with Just Cause 3 with freesync on for what it's worth. I agree I think it is the being stuck at 30fps makes it have issues.

Is this something to do with the Drivers or is it that the Technology is at fault here? Since I mean G-SYNC too have such a problem, and If not mistaken G-SYNC doesn't need a Driver to run it does it ?

I think it is the technology. When a monitor/game goes below the minimum framerate of freesync/gsync (in my case 30 or 35hz/fps) it will flicker as it tries to make up frames. I believe gsync also requires driver activation just like freesync, but I haven't used it to tell you 100%

Hey great news, the flashing has been fixed with the latest AMD 16.1 Hotfix driver !
It even fixed the graphic corruption problem in Shadow of Modor !!
But now recently Im experiencing a new problem with the monitor...zzz

Back