• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeze - FX-9590 on asus 990 fx r2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd still re-flash the BIOS using the method I described earlier. The BIOS is likely a bit messed up.

It won't reboot - It's back to the "no signal" on the monitor, then monitor power off. No bios LED.

I have two choices. Remove power (unplug everything) remove the battery, move the jumper and wait awhile - then reboot and try the "delete" key, F5 sequence ------- Or
Try to re-flash the bios. I have the bios that Johan45 provided stored on an otherwise empty 16GB usb stix formated FAT32. It will be quick to plug it in and depress and hold the usb bios flashback button. I doubt it will work either, until I recover the bios LED by doing the first choice above. But I also doubt it will do any further harm to try.

Ok - tried the re-flash -- as I suspected, nothing. no flashy lights, no bios LED. So it is time to do the power down, unplug, remove battery and switch jumper thing, then wait. Should I pull the memory for this? Don't need memory to re-flash. Of course it won't boot without at least one memory stix.

If you didn't get any flashing light then you didn't do it right IMO. The USB flashback by passes everything and writes directly to the BIOS chip. Even if the CPU/ram etc.. were no good it should still write.
DID you rename the bios file ?

Yes, I renamed the bios file, copy/paste the name you provided.Will check the manual to verify that is the right name.

Check the slot too. Also need to have the power on. If that doesn't work try a different USB stick

you might try the full cmos reset and streight to the bios reflash without booting.

Just thought of something, if you copy pasted the name you might have ST990FXR20.CAP.CAP. Extract the file again and just rename leaving the original extension intact

I have the correct file name. I think the problem is that I didn't get the file into the root directory. I'm using Ubuntu and the file properties show it in /media/steve/usbsticknumber/ The root directory seems to me should be where media is. any suggestions on how I can move the file up the tree to root? root of the stick that is. I can move it to root of the boot device which will do no good. Problem is, I don't know how to cd to the stick. I'm looking on google. But second thought, it is first in line on the stick, the /media/steve/ does not go with the usb memory stick. Maybe it is already in root on the stick?

Ubuntu isn't my thing. Can you change the directory when you format the stick. Do you have a windows laptop or anything similar?

Sure, I have windows 7 on this machine side by side with Ubuntu. I logged in to windows to format the stick to get FAT32 but downloaded the bios file while logged into Ubuntu. That is a good idea, I will look at the stick directory using Windows.

I looked. On windows, G\ is the usb stick drive letter, and the file is G\ST990FXR20.CAP on windows.

caddi daddi - you might try the full cmos reset and streight to the bios reflash without booting.

Yes, I might try that. What do you mean for me to do? disconnect everything, remove battery, move dip swich, let it sit long enough then reassemble, put the bios usb in the slot, turn machine on and hold down the button?

that is what I mean, but you don't boot the machine, you put it back together, plug in the psu, put the flash drive in the slot, press and hold the button, all without booting.

You guys do know that the original disk has Bios recovery built right in. Simply put the disk in the reader and the board should boot right from it. (unplug HDDs) I saved my M3A board after a bad flash in this fashion. All components must be in working order.

Would advise on a low watt cpu to test the board first before flashing a bios..... I think I already said this??

The bios isn't borked from a simple over-volt. Generally heavy memory overclocking and high bus clocks do this to a bios.

where is that in the manual? I dug out my saberpuss manual and I can't find anything about that.

The manual is not the tell all. you already know that.

Have no belief? Put your mobo disk in and boot from DVD ;)

Oh never mind. Here's the FaQ

Recovering the BIOS

To recover the BIOS:

Step 1: Turn on the system.

Step 2: Insert the motherboard support DVD to the optical drive, or the USB flash drive containing the BIOS file to the USB port.

Step 3: The utility automatically checks the devices for the BIOS file. When found, the utility reads the BIOS file and enters ASUS EZ Flash 2 automatically.

located here: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1012219/

This is the exact board I was able to save.... some years back now.... https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3A/

Last edited:
I knew about it for the crosshairs but had no idea about the other boards, thanks shrimps!!!!

@caddi daddi, johan45 and all -
I did as caddi daddi and johan45 suggested, reloaded the bios using the usb bios flashback on a cold machine, that is, plugged in but powered down. I also removed 3 of the 4 memory sticks and unplugged the boot device (SSDD).

It worked. The flashy light flashed then after awhile , maybe a minute or two, it went dark as would be expected of a machine that was powered down. I powered up and got a bios screen asking me to reboot or insert a boot dvd so I plugged the ssdd in. It booted as it should. I ran the math test job for 15 minutes with one memory stick installed. It ran at what looks like 43C cpu. Killed the job, shutdown, reinstalled all 32GB of memory and rebooted.

That is where I am now. I am somewhat concerned that the temperatures as I have them displayed may be for the wrong devices. I am using lm sensor and psensor but the only definite information I have on the actual display is the sensor number which I can't decipher very clearly. I am concerned that what I have displayed as cpu temperature is actually the temperature of some other component. I am sure about the video card sensor as it's long number includes the mfgr's name. The other numbers generally don't contain identifying information. The manual indicates there exists ASUS software on the support dvd to read temperature, fan speed and voltages. It also indicates that this software runs under windows which is not installed. This machine necessarily runs Ubuntu. Suggestions.

Back