• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freezes, Then Restart Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Registered
Hey guys! So back in December I put together my first every computer. It worked flawlessly, ran games great and until today, was operating at tip-top performance.

I've been playing World of Warcraft for quite a few hours today, about 8 hours exactly. 30 Minutes ago, my computer started acting up. It would freeze, and leave behind this terrible static sound, and I would have to press the button to restart it.
Upon restarting, it would just go into a restart loop, turning on, then turning off every few seconds.

When I fully boot it down, and then restart it, I could get into my BIOS fine. From there, I took my overclock settings off, and reset everything back to default. It booted back up, and I thought it was all good, as I was able to play for about 20 minutes, but then it happened again.

I'm not too sure why it's doing this, and any help you guys can give me to make this stop is greatly appreciated. I know it's not overheating, as when it restarts, my CPU is only around 40º, and my GPU is hovering around 50º.

Here are the specs:
CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz.
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61.
Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150.
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB / Black 8GB (16GB).
SSD1: Kingston V300 Series 120GB.
SSD2: Kingston V300 Series 120GB.
HDD1: Hitachi Ultrastar 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM.
HDD2: Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB.
GPU: MSI GeForc​e GTX 970​ 4GD5T OC ​4GB.
PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold.

I am also running dual monitors, and tend to have WoW open on one monitor, then Chrome & Spotify open on the other. My background applications are NZXT CAM Software, MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner and Razer Synapse.

Here's my event viewer.
DOQR729.jpg

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Was the static through the speakers or from the PC

OP

Registered
Was the static through the speakers or from the PC

Through the speakers, not the PC.

try it with everything at default, cpu, ram, gpu, everything.

Going to be doing that right now, the only other thing that I left overclocked (slightly), was my GPU. Just put it to default and I'm gonna try to game again.

I also just ran a memory diagnostics with no errors.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
What did you use for a stability test on your OC ? Almost looks like you ran out of power, when things get warm typically they need more voltage to maintain the same OC

OP

Registered
What did you use for a stability test on your OC ? Almost looks like you ran out of power, when things get warm typically they need more voltage to maintain the same OC

I used Prime95 with no issues. But, it's still freezing even at stock clocks, which is what makes no sense to me.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Sounds like it may be the Gpu driver, when it freezes does the screen just lock up with the last frame of the game showing or a black screen?

OP

Registered
Sounds like it may be the Gpu driver, when it freezes does the screen just lock up with the last frame of the game showing or a black screen?

Freezes up with the last frame of the game. I'm on the second most recent Nvidia drivers, as I've heard the most recent have caused more bad than good.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Freezes up with the last frame of the game. I'm on the second most recent Nvidia drivers, as I've heard the most recent have caused more bad than good.
Have you recently updated the driver? May try to go back one more and see if it helps. Is this a one time occurrence?

OP

Registered
Have you recently updated the driver? May try to go back one more and see if it helps. Is this a one time occurrence?

It has happened once in the past, but it happened a lot today, which is why I'm concerned.

I'll try the new drivers, but everyone is saying they only do more harm than good. :(

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
It has happened once in the past, but it happened a lot today, which is why I'm concerned.

I'll try the new drivers, but everyone is saying they only do more harm than good. :(
Try the newest one if it doesn't help roll back to the previous one to the one you're currently using. Make sure you do a clean install.

OP

Registered
Try the newest one if it doesn't help roll back to the previous one to the one you're currently using. Make sure you do a clean install.
Good luck, hope it's an easy fix like that

Well, it ended up freezing again while I was on WoW, withing my first 30 minutes of playing. I shut it down, let it sit for a minute, and as I was typing a response to you guys with ONLY this window open, it froze again.

I have no idea.

Do you think it's a ram issue? Perhaps it's overheating..? I have 4 sticks of 4GB HyperX Fury 1866RAM, which shows timing as 10-11-10 on Newegg, and timing of 10-11-10-30 on HWiNFO64.

Last edited:

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Time to start trouble shooting. If it were me the first thing I'd do is pull the Gpu and use the onboard graphics. If the issue goes away then it likely the Gpu causing the issue. If it doesn't run a stress test such a prime 95 or Aida 64 and open Hwinfo and watch the temps. If they go into the 90-100c range that is likely the issue. If not run Memtest 86+ at least 4 passes.

OP

Registered
Quick update:
I played basically all yesterday with no issue at all, it worked flawlessly. I had my first freeze today while I was playing WoW, and watching a Twitch stream on my second monitor. Then again it happened as I was watching a YouTube video on my second monitor, and again, playing WoW. I took a picture of my monitor, showing what the temps and usage of everything is.
ISbXsud.jpg

Time to start trouble shooting. If it were me the first thing I'd do is pull the Gpu and use the onboard graphics. If the issue goes away then it likely the Gpu causing the issue. If it doesn't run a stress test such a prime 95 or Aida 64 and open Hwinfo and watch the temps. If they go into the 90-100c range that is likely the issue. If not run Memtest 86+ at least 4 passes.

I haven't tested this yet, but I will. Assuming I can even play games on my onboard graphics, lol.

How many times have you upgraded the driver, and what process did you use? DDU in there anywhere?

I've only updated my video card driver twice, using a clean install both times. Not sure what DDU is.

Dlaw

DDU= Display Driver Uninstaller.

Here's the best way I know of to upgrade video drivers:

1: Uninstall everything related to your card (Nvidia related, in your case), starting with the least important (like Geforce Experience), and ending with the actual driver in Programs and Features.

2: Reboot into safe mode, and run DDU.

3: Reboot back into regular mode, and install the new driver, making sure to check "Perform Clean Install".

4: Test.

Did you update via Geforce Experience? I've found that it doesn't work very well. Even running the installer downloaded from the cards manufacturer or Nvidia itself doesn't usually do a great job uninstalling the old driver first. This is where I would start.