• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freezing and corrupt profile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Ok let me make this as short and sweet as possible. My computer keeps freezing on me. When I restart I have to run chkdsk through the WinXP recovery console because the OS won't boot. It won't let me run chkdsk on my E: drive (where windows is installed) saying "There are one or more unrecoverable problems" So I run it on my C: drive

The computer allows me to boot to Windows but doesn't load my profile so all my icons wallpaper shortcuts are all gone. My main drive (E) is a brand new Maxtor 40GB only one week old, because my last one went bad so I RMA'd it. Could it be possible that i got another bad one?

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Since you can make it to the desktop, but nothing is visible...hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager | File-->New Task (Run...) | In the "Open" field, type cmd and click OK | At the prompt...

E:\Documents and Settings\<Your Name>\>

...type chkdsk /F and ENTER (the /F switch fixes errors on the disk)...you can then schedule chkdsk to run on next boot. If that doesn't work for you, try chkdsk /R from the command prompt next boot (the /R switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable information).

You could also try Maxtor's Powermax software to repair the volume, available from Maxtor here...

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm :)

Last edited:

fadirocks

c:\documents and settings\<ur login>\My Documents
back it up 1st then delete ur profile
c:\documents and settings\<ur login> folder

Hopefully ur default account still there in c:\documents and settings it should be hidden if u cant find it tell us we can fix that problem for u too