• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freezing and OC issues\questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ezcharlie

Hey guys,

Need some help pls.

First off, I switched over to an E5-1620 V2 from an E5-2650 V1 to get higher core frequencies and higher ram frequencies at the expense of less cores.
After doing that, my system now regularly freezes when i browse online.
It doesn't happen immediately. it happens after a day if i leave my pc on.
i only have less than 10 tabs(Firefox) open sometimes even less. The tabs start closing with errors then they start to freeze then the whole system freezes.
When i play games like SCII and NFS Payback, everything is fine until i shut the game down.
While it's starting to slowly freeze up and not respond, task manager shows very little cpu usage and maybe a max of like 45% memory(16gb gskill ddr3 @1866mhz) usage.
It's all running stock speeds (cpu and ram).
VM is set to Sys Managed and my C: free space is around 32gb.
With my previous cpu, i could leave my pc on for a week without any issue.
I tried setting my ram speed back to 1600mhz but i still get the problem with the new cpu.
How can my cpu be bad when it has no issues with my system while in use except when i leave the pc on for a couple of days w/o restarting?
My OS is a fully updated Win 10 x64.

If anyone can help me with this, I'd like to move on to OC questions.
My Asrock x79 Extreme9 allows me to change mult values but after booting into the OS, nothing sticks. It still runs at stock speeds.
BCLK changes only allow me to go as high as 108 before the sys does all kinds of funky stuff.

Hi Charlie,

Have you turned off hyperthreading and turbo to see if this changes the behaviour? What are your temperatures like?

David

hyperthreading = no
turbo = not entirely sure how in this mobo's bios
temps = max are in the 50's celcius for all cores

may i ask how that would affect it?

hyperthreading = no
turbo = not entirely sure how in this mobo's bios
temps = max are in the 50's celcius for all cores

may i ask how that would affect it?

I guess HT and Turbo both increase power usage/heat output so it might be interesting to see if they affect stability.

Have you tried running memtest86 to see if there are issues with the RAM?

I wonder if something else heats slowly to the point that it then causes stability issues - I wonder about heat around the power delivery circuitry on the board.

Have you stress-tested the memory? I'd start there.

I wonder if the 4x64GB of RAID is the issue too? 32GB free isn't a lot out of 256GB.

AS far as overclocking, you have a Xeon, and I do not believe this one is unlocked in the first place. So you would be limited to the max turbo frequency plus and BCLK.

I guess HT and Turbo both increase power usage/heat output so it might be interesting to see if they affect stability.

Have you tried running memtest86 to see if there are issues with the RAM?

I wonder if something else heats slowly to the point that it then causes stability issues - I wonder about heat around the power delivery circuitry on the board.

I disabled HT and will see if that makes a diff.
Using HWmonitor, all temps for the mobo and proc are in the 50 degree celcius range or lower. Will see if anything goes up if the sys starts to freeze.

Have you stress-tested the memory? I'd start there.

I wonder if the 4x64GB of RAID is the issue too? 32GB free isn't a lot out of 256GB.

AS far as overclocking, you have a Xeon, and I do not believe this one is unlocked in the first place. So you would be limited to the max turbo frequency plus and BCLK.

If by tom, things don't change, i'll test the ram. Didn't do it yet coz i used to getting errors when ram starts to fail.
As for the ssd raid, it was the same when i had the previous proc but i had no issues then.

I'll wait if HT does anything then move on to memtest then further on to prime95 if things don't change.
Should have done that before posting. I guess i'm getting lazy because the internet is so accessible nowadays and it's so easy to just ask away w/o actually doing anything prior.
But if you guys have any other points of failure you'd like me to consider, pls lemme know.

About the OC'ing, i read someone here had a e5-1620 at over 4ghz so i posted on their thread to ask about it but it was a really old thread so i dunno if they will respond anytime soon.
I was under the impression that if my mult was locked that i would not be able to change the mult values in my bios.

You should be able to increase the multiplier value up to the turbo limit, as another said.

I also wonder if giving the CPU a tad bit more vcore would help.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Maybe some wrong values were retained when you switched CPUs.

Do you have the latest bios installed?

What OS are you running?

Have you checked for infections?

I would also run system file checker. If you are running Windows 10, here is the proper method for doing it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

memtest86 passed the default full 4 passes. it took 7hrs.
i have the latest bios and it was reset a couple of times after switching the proc when oc settings failed.

i can increase the mult value past my cpu's max turbo setting of 39 so i am assuming that maybe this cpu is unlocked.
this bios allows me to manually type it in for all or individual cores.

the system still gradually freezes after using the pc over a day.
I'm pretty sure i reinstalled the OS after i switched cpu's but i'm not 100%. (I might do it again if i can't figure anything else out)

If i can't fix the freezing, i'll at least try to figure out how to oc this cpu if possible and just reboot my pc everyday.

Your CPU is not unlocked.

Attachments

• locked.png
    locked.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 134
Hey guys,

Need some help pls.

First off, I switched over to an E5-1620 V2 from an E5-2650 V1 to get higher core frequencies and higher ram frequencies at the expense of less cores.
After doing that, my system now regularly freezes when i browse online.
It doesn't happen immediately. it happens after a day if i leave my pc on.
i only have less than 10 tabs(Firefox) open sometimes even less. The tabs start closing with errors then they start to freeze then the whole system freezes.
When i play games like SCII and NFS Payback, everything is fine until i shut the game down.
While it's starting to slowly freeze up and not respond, task manager shows very little cpu usage and maybe a max of like 45% memory(16gb gskill ddr3 @1866mhz) usage.
It's all running stock speeds (cpu and ram).
VM is set to Sys Managed and my C: free space is around 32gb.
With my previous cpu, i could leave my pc on for a week without any issue.
I tried setting my ram speed back to 1600mhz but i still get the problem with the new cpu.
How can my cpu be bad when it has no issues with my system while in use except when i leave the pc on for a couple of days w/o restarting?
My OS is a fully updated Win 10 x64.

If anyone can help me with this, I'd like to move on to OC questions.
My Asrock x79 Extreme9 allows me to change mult values but after booting into the OS, nothing sticks. It still runs at stock speeds.
BCLK changes only allow me to go as high as 108 before the sys does all kinds of funky stuff.

I would suggest restarting your PC daily to eliminate the possibility of memory leaks from poorly coded software you might be using.

I'll just ask, did you reset/reload the OS? I'm guessing the lower core count is messing with a system configured for more cores. My 2 cents here.

Z

Your the one whos running an unorthodox setup, don't get made at people because they cant solve your problem.

Remember: text is an imperfect medium and doesn't convey all aspects of human communication - I read "sigh" as a sigh of frustration. No need to jump to this sort of comment.

Your the one whos running an unorthodox setup, don't get made at people because they cant solve your problem.

I believe this is overclockers.com. 99% of systems here are "unorthodox". People who "only" have name branded systems that are pre-built don't normally go here. And besides, there's really nothing uncommon about my setup.

I'll just ask, did you reset/reload the OS? I'm guessing the lower core count is messing with a system configured for more cores. My 2 cents here.

Z

I thought i reinstalled my OS before to fix this but now i'm not so sure. I'll do it again.

Remember: text is an imperfect medium and doesn't convey all aspects of human communication - I read "sigh" as a sigh of frustration. No need to jump to this sort of comment.

Thank you for not jumping to conclusions.

I reinstalled my OS and freed up around 180gb on my main drive.
So far, my system hasn't frozen up and i'm on my 3rd day of not restarting.
I guess EarthDog was right and 16gb ram and 32gb free ssd space was not enough for Internet Browsers. I guess I have Microsoft Windows to thank for that. HAHAHAHAHA!!!
I don't think that 3rd party sw caused anthing coz i monitor and uninstall sw that i don't need. perf monitor is also always showing low usage on cpu, mem and ssd.

Now i just need to figure out why my current E5-1620 V2 allows me to change the multiplier in my bios but does not actually work when i check it in Windows.
(my previous E5-2650 V1 DID NOT allow me to change the mult in the bios so i have to assume that maybe my current cpu is unlocked right???)

Last edited:
I do not think that chip hjas an unlocked multiplier. Second the OS reinstall is morethan likely what fixed the freezing/lockup issues. Glad you got it working

Z

The E5-1620 v2 the OP is running does have an unlocked multiplier.

E5-1620V2-OC.jpg

Here's a list of Xeon CPUs with unlocked multipliers according to overclocking results from HWBOT:

Bloomfield:
W3570 (source)
W3580 (uncertain)

Gulftown:
W3680
W3690

Gainestown:
W5580 (most probably not unlocked, despite of one CPU-Z validation; please see also https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...h-an-open-multiplier.15983/page-5#post-209642)
W5590 (most probably not unlocked)

Sandy Bridge-EP:
E5-1620 (source - max CPU multiplier is 43, just like the i7-3820)
E5-1650
E5-1660

Ivy Bridge-EP:
E5-1620 v2 (source)
E5-1650 v2
E5-1660 v2
E5-1680 v2

Haswell-EP:
E5-1650 v3
E5-1660 v3
E5-1680 v3

Broadwell-EP: