• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frequency Drop Off Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

When I set options in BIOS, it is in the form of even numbers. 48 x 100 for instance.

But then CPU-Z and Windows show the actual frequancy as something like 48 x 99.76 which equates to 4.788.57 GHz instead.

I'm curious if this is the nature of all overclocking, and we just claim the frequency at a BIOS level, or where this small drop off comes from. I know we have some really technically knowledgable members here, and I'm really curious to what's behind this.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, I don't know.

its normal mine is set at 49x 100 but shows as 4913 or 49 x 100.3 lol each board is different as is each chip but you can put it to like 100.3 in bios without any issues to get a more rounded number

I didn't realize BCLK allowed for decimals. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

I believe it has to do with spread spectrum. Mobo lets frequency wander around a bit to prevent interference with other electronics.

Back