• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fresh Win 10 Installation Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cctaylor88

Registered
I plan on saving all of my files/documents on another device. So I want to perform a like new clean install. Is my best option to "Reset this PC" under the "Recovery" tab of the Control Panel?

On a separate USB I plan on creating Windows 10 installation media, do I have to format the USB in anyway or will the website run me through all of that?

Things I'm worried about:

1. I essentially want to wipe everything and it's been a long time since I've "partitioned" any drives. I have many SSDs. When I am greeted with the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen I will select my hopeful C:drive to install Windows BUT for all of the other drives that show up... I want to wipe these clean as well. Am I to "format" or "delete" or "refresh" these drives?

2. Am I able to utilize and insert the Windows Media USB in 3.0 or must it be 2.0? I remember USB being an issue 4yrs ago when I did this.

3. My biggest worry is all of the drivers that are currently up to date on m y PC. I have no idea where/how to download new drivers etc. What can I do ahead of time to find updated drivers? For example GPU and LAN drivers are my biggest concerns.

4. What is Ninite good for?

5. I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of stuff so please give me any advice at all.

A. I'd start from scratch and format the SSD.

B. The Windows Media Creation tool site does it all.

1. I'd unplug all your other drives when installing windows. Once installed, then format them. Less confusion.

2. On the system in your signature, likely 2.0 is required as I am not sure if 3.0 is native. Try it and see.

3. Your SATA, LAN, Chipset, WAN, USB drivers will be found at the webpage for the motherboard. GPU drivers are found at the Nvidia website (again assuming the rig in your sig.

4. Streamlining windows installations. You can slipstream drivers in automatically, and make it an unattended install (clicks through options)

5. All good here.

1. I'd unplug all your other drives when installing windows. Once installed, then format them. Less confusion.

2. On the system in your signature, likely 2.0 is required as I am not sure if 3.0 is native. Try it and see.

3. Your SATA, LAN, Chipset, WAN, USB drivers will be found at the webpage for the motherboard. GPU drivers are found at the Nvidia website (again assuming the rig in your sig.

4. Streamlining windows installations. You can slipstream drivers in automatically, and make it an unattended install (clicks through options)

5. All good here.

Pay attention to this. Otherwise, if in the future you remove or replace one those drives you may find the system won't boot.

5. All good here.

Thanks for the reply... I haven't done this is many years. I agree, Id like a clean from scratch install as well but how exactly does one "start from scratch and format the SSD?"

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Pay attention to this. Otherwise, if in the future you remove or replace one those drives you may find the system won't boot.

Oh boy really? That is a huge bummer then. I have several drives I really wasnt wanting to unplug everything as its all wired super tight/all over.

You can format it when installing W10. Wipe all the partitions, format, and have windows do its magic.

As far as the drives/unplugging them.... all you need to do is unplug them from the board... leave everything else. OR......... disable those ports before installing windows.

You can format it when installing W10. Wipe all the partitions, format, and have windows do its magic.

As far as the drives/unplugging them.... all you need to do is unplug them from the board... leave everything else. OR......... disable those ports before installing windows.

Sounds good thank you :) so when I pick the C:drive to install the OS ... for the rest of the drives on there am I just choosing the "format" option it sounds? The "format" is what will wipe them?

Yes. But you can (and should) do that through windows once you've installed without them attached.

During the initial stages of the Windows install process on the c: drive, choose the option to "delete" all partitions on that drive before proceeding with the installation. Windows is smart and will know how to recreate the necessary partitions from there.

I advise you to recover your Windows 10 system using the media creation tool. You can do that while booting from the media Image on the Media Creation tool.
I advise you to install the Windows system on the targeted SSD then after the installation format the other drives to use them. don't format the drives while installation to avoid confusion.
You can download the drivers after the installation and then install them properly at the end.

I doubt he will have to download any drivers on for components of that vintage. Windows 10 should have them all built in.

And I would not advise using the existing Windows recovery image for the reinstall since it may be corrupt. Since he has backed up his data he should be okay. The only thing he could lose would be the apps but he doesn't seem to be concerned about that.

1. Windows 10 on a clean install does not give you an option to chose the drive. It installs most of the disk as the C: drive. Later you can create partitions using the Disk Management tool.
2. Using 3.0 recovery media would be better but that does not mean 2.0 is ineffective. You would notice the speed differences and that is pretty much it. Nothing else.
3. Yes, drivers are always the concern. I wouldn't be able to comment until you tell the make and model of your hardware.
4. Ninite is good for cloning disks but as you mentioned, you want a new and clean install you do not require it in this case.
5. That is pretty much it. You are not forgetting anything.

5. All good here.

Windows will install all of that automatically. With Windows 10 installing drivers is pretty much no longer a thing. Windows can automatically pull drivers for almost any device out there. In short, unless you're specifically having an issue with something not working, the days of going and installing 20 drivers every time you reinstall the OS are long gone.

Windows will install all of that automatically. With Windows 10 installing drivers is pretty much no longer a thing. Windows can automatically pull drivers for almost any device out there. In short, unless you're specifically having an issue with something not working, the days of going and installing 20 drivers every time you reinstall the OS are long gone.
For the most part, yes. However I find the versions of things it installs isn't the latest. But they will sure get you up and running. :)

Edit: at times it doesnt install 3rd party sata and usb controllers if the board has them.

Last edited:
Back