• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Friend wants me to help him put together a PC with a specific color scheme.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

So, normally I wouldn't have much trouble with this, but the color scheme he chose is giving me a bit of a hard time. He wants to go with black (or a darker gray, perhaps gunmetal, would also be acceptable he said), orange, and red. He wants this to be a Ryzen system if at all possible, based around a 1600 upgraded to a 3600 when it comes out, and that's where I'm having a bit of trouble. He would like the motherboard to be primarily orange, as it's the largest component in the build and therefore has the most real estate for coloring, and I haven't really been able to find an orange Ryzen board. I mostly dug around PCPartPicker and Google for a few hours today, and have come up short. He also wants the GPU to be at least 1070 equivalent, and is willing to buy a used 10-series if that's what it takes.

He's willing to spray paint, but would like to do as little of that as possible due to being fairly unfamiliar with it, so he wants to get as close to his ideal color scheme as possible before busting out the face mask and painter's tape. The color arrangement he gave me is a red case with orange accents (he's accepted that this will pretty much have to be custom painted after we pick an adequate case, if you guys can recommend something roomy with a window and plenty of fan mounts and ventilation I'd appreciate it), an orange motherboard with black accents, an orange and red or red and orange GPU, and either orange and black or red and black RAM. Picky, I know. I told him I would do my best to get something drawn up for him but I'm honestly coming up short on the motherboard and RAM.

So if you guys have suggestions for the parts, I'd appreciate it. It's looking to me like he might have to custom paint everything or go Intel, but I figured I'd ask here as a last ditch effort before giving him a concrete answer.

Last edited:
So, normally I wouldn't have much trouble with this, but the color scheme he chose is giving me a bit of a hard time. He wants to go with black (or a darker gray, perhaps gunmetal, would also be acceptable he said), orange, and red. He wants this to be a Ryzen system if at all possible, based around a 1600 upgraded to a 3600 when it comes out, and that's where I'm having a bit of trouble. He would like the motherboard to be primarily orange, as it's the largest component in the build and therefore has the most real estate for coloring, and I haven't really been able to find an orange Ryzen board. I mostly dug around PCPartPicker and Google for a few hours today, and have come up short. He also wants the GPU to be at least 1070 equivalent, and is willing to buy a used 10-series if that's what it takes.

He's willing to spray paint, but would like to do as little of that as possible due to being fairly unfamiliar with it, so he wants to get as close to his ideal color scheme as possible before busting out the face mask and painter's tape. The color arrangement he gave me is a red case with orange accents (he's accepted that this will pretty much have to be custom painted after we pick an adequate case, if you guys can recommend something roomy with a window and plenty of fan mounts and ventilation I'd appreciate it), an orange motherboard with black accents, an orange and red or red and orange GPU, and either orange and black or red and black RAM. Picky, I know. I told him I would do my best to get something drawn up for him but I'm honestly coming up short on the motherboard and RAM.

So if you guys have suggestions for the parts, I'd appreciate it. It's looking to me like he might have to custom paint everything or go Intel, but I figured I'd ask here as a last ditch effort before giving him a concrete answer.
Sorry I can't help much with good component choices but if you are going to paint anyway then I have a suggestion. There are lots of good vids out there for custom shrouds made from acrylic plastic. It's cheap and easy to cut and shape and paint. The hardest part is avoiding drillbit wandering. On mobile so Im gonna let you search instead of linking, but I can't imagine you would have a tough time finding tutorials.

He's willing to spray paint
:eek: Spray paint what? That sounds like a horrible idea. If he is going to spray paint anything, have him build a little wooden platform for the computer to sit on and spray paint that. There are all sorts of chemicals inside paint to make it durable and to make it stick. Who knows how they would react chemically with the electronics devices? Plus the paint would coat things that need direct access to air for cooling.

Spray painting electronics is just a bad idea. Period.

I think he is looking at this from the wrong direction. He should pick a motherboard based on the performance, price and features of the board - including the CPU(s) it supports. Not the color. Once he has picked his board, then he can shop for fashion matching colors.

But frankly, I think it would be easier to go all black, then outfit the case interior with a lighting system that lets you pick your own color scheme.

But then remind him, once this fad wears off, pretty lights become boring. They do nothing for performance, add some heat, consume some energy, and like pretty red or blue RAM, do nothing for performance (worth repeating). After all it is whats happening on the monitor(s) that matter.

But frankly, I think it would be easier to go all black, then outfit the case interior with a lighting system that lets you pick your own color scheme.

Considering every component is available with some form of RGB integration, that's probably the best approach for creating a color theme.

Spray painting case panels is still a thing & completely up to the skills & imagination of the modder.

Spray painting case panels is still a thing
Agreed, if painting only case panels is what's being considered here. Still, factory painted cases are typically painted using powder coating, baking or some other "hardening" technique that results in a much more durable (if not professional looking) paint job. I am not saying a skilled painter cannot achieve a truly professional and amazing looking custom paint job, but typically that is a skill that must be practiced and honed and practiced and honed some more - especially if using paint from a spray can.

There are factory made red computer cases out there - Bing Google is your friend.

:eek: Spray paint what? That sounds like a horrible idea. If he is going to spray paint anything, have him build a little wooden platform for the computer to sit on and spray paint that. There are all sorts of chemicals inside paint to make it durable and to make it stick. Who knows how they would react chemically with the electronics devices? Plus the paint would coat things that need direct access to air for cooling.

Spray painting electronics is just a bad idea. Period.

I think he is looking at this from the wrong direction. He should pick a motherboard based on the performance, price and features of the board - including the CPU(s) it supports. Not the color. Once he has picked his board, then he can shop for fashion matching colors.

But then remind him, once this fad wears off, pretty lights become boring. They do nothing for performance, add some heat, consume some energy, and like pretty red or blue RAM, do nothing for performance (worth repeating). After all it is whats happening on the monitor(s) that matter.

Motherboard shrouds, so like the plastic/metal covers that go over the CPU VRMs, the plastic shroud on his GPU, and the inside and outside of his case. I'm thinking this is probably what he'll end up having to do if he wants to have as much orange in the build as he was planning on.

Orange is a tough color to find on boards. Very few have ever used it. Mostly Asrock on their limited edition super high end overclocking boards.

Orange is a tough color to find on boards. Very few have ever used it. Mostly Asrock on their limited edition super high end overclocking boards.

I figured as much. We'll just have to bust out the masks and hope for the best I suppose. Thanks for the suggestions on the boards though, Scott! I might get him to let me snap a few pictures when the system's put together for you guys to see our (probably horrible) paint job.

He wants the motherboard to be orange? Can't even go there! Sounds pukey to me. And what happens when the paint starts to flake off due to heating and cooling cycles of components?

He wants the motherboard to be orange? Can't even go there! Sounds pukey to me. And what happens when the paint starts to flake off due to heating and cooling cycles of components?
I'm assuming nobody is painting the IC's and such.

It really is best to do it with RGB LEDs at this point with a theme agnostic board.

Newegg has the Gigabyte X470 Auros with a Black/Grey/Orange theme.

Gigabyte X470 Auros.jpg

They also have some cases with some orange.

OrangeCases.jpg

Last edited:
If he painted it I think it might be difficult to pull off an RMA if needed.

How did I forget be quiet cases? That's like, THE orange computer parts manufacturer, lol! Thanks for your help guys.

Back