• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

friends is looking for a laptop under 1000, for basic (internet,e-mail,music)help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

friends is looking for a laptop under 1000, for basic (internet,e-mail,music)help plz

Hello everyone!

Do you guys have any recommendations for a laptop under $1000 for things such as browsing the web, downloading music, etc she doesn't play any games so this mainly just for basic stuff.

She just wants something fast, so when she clicks on something it opens up! rather than a delay hah, and she wants vista! She thinks its pretty!
Having a decent size viewing area would be good as well.

So the graphics card doesn't have to be great, like she isn't going to be playing any cod4 or anything like that but enough to handle vista.

Any suggestions?
She works at verizon so she said she might get discounts at DELL but not certain on that one.

Thanks a ton guys!

PS: She says under a 1000, so being under that def. is priority, she's cheap.

:santa:

EDIT: I saw another poster saying he bought:
Dell Vostro 1500
1.4ghz c2d 800mhz
2gb ddr2
160gb hd
256mb 8600gt ddr2
1280 x 800 screen with truelife
internal bluetooth and wireless g
extended 9 cell battery
dvd burner
for like 838

is there any better deals than this or should I do the same thing for my friend?
core duo 1.4 seems pretty slow if applications arn't multi threaded isn't it just going to be running at 1.4?
Also the graphics card might be overkill on this setup if she isn't a gamer right?

I know she def needs 2 gigs of ram to handle vista
She wants a good size monitor
she wants to be able to burn cd's/dvds
she doesn't want it to die all the time
She doesn't need a great graphics card but does want to be able to handle vista's pretty features.

EDIT 2:
she sent me an e-mail and said she found this:
Dell Inspiron 1525
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5450 (1.66GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache), Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Basic Edition
Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
LCD Panel Anti-glare, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
Video Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Hard Drive Size: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Network Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Modem Integrated Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
Combo or DVD+RW Drive CD / DVD Writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini-Card
Camera Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Subscription (30-day trial)
Battery Options 56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
Warranty & Service 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service
Installation Services 1 Year Complimentary LoJack Theft Recovery Service
Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested
Bluetooth Option Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

Subtotal:
Sub total:$794.00

Is that a good deal or no?

Last edited:
The 1525 would be a better option because its thinner and lighter. It would be perfect :)

You won't find a better deal anywhere.

The X3100 integrated is actually alot better than people say -- It can handle CS:S with 60fps+. Far better than anything she will ever want to do.
As for not having it "die"....Just make sure she has the "big 3"
1) AVG Free
2) CCleaner
3) Spybot Search and Destroy

Cool, thanks ps2cho, before I read this post thats what I told her. It looks a lot more girly as well so its not just a black laptop she put flowers on it ha.

Back