• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Friend's new build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So, a guy I know from WoW is making a new pc for the first time. What video do you guys suggest he watches that will help him most understand.

A video won't delve into things like research on compatibility of parts etc.
As to the physical constructing....it's like Legos (kinda snap together ;))
Instead of a video, I'd suggest your friend come and read some of our "How To's"
Ya gotta excuse me...I'm old and think videos ain't got squat on actually reading :D

Well, he said he wanted a gaming build and I pretty much told him what to get. Not hardcore gaming, but an i5-6600, he doesn't know what overclocking is so I advised against doing it, and a gtx 970. I'll let him know about this website.

not to be mean but its WOW it doesnt take much to get good fps out of that game, the problem is its high latency. since it is open world RPG with lots of people floating around and if in raids his last problem will be FPS. though i have seen some video of really big raids and some peoples older machines struggling on the fps. anything like a 960+ or even just a 1060 will be way over kill for wow even at 1080P. he still might peg 200fps+ at 1440 or 4k in wow with those cards.

*edit*
just saw you post, tell him it will also help with how much he has to spend as well as what parts he needs. i mean are we going all out new monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset/sound system....

I have a 2600k and a 980ti and although I usually get 140fps at all things maxed out it can dip to 50-30 in raids or when there is a lot of particles.
You would actually be sursprised how much power it takes to run wow at all settings max. I'm also using a 1440p, he's using a 1080p, so..
I can max out BF4, MGS5, and Metro no problem and cap fps at 165, since that's as high as my monitor will go, but wow just uses a really old engine.

- - - Updated - - -

He thinks he'll get the Asus pb278q monitor, the corsair vengeance keyboard and he has't decided on a mouse yet. I think he already has decent speakers/headset.

Well, he said he wanted a gaming build and I pretty much told him what to get. Not hardcore gaming, but an i5-6600, he doesn't know what overclocking is so I advised against doing it, and a gtx 970. I'll let him know about this website.
I would have him get a GTX 1060, which costs just a bit more, performs much better, and uses less power than the older 970.

Have him come here and give us an idea of his budget and such. ;)

EDIT: If he is getting that monitor, I surely would not buy a 970 now.

The Legion patch upped the ante on graphics, they added quite a bit more. Ultra settings on a 1440p monitor is taxing for my setup at times. Open world, no problem hitting 300+ fps. A high pop realm in a major city drops that to 60fps real quick. And a 20man raid can get it dropping even lower. I would definitely recommend a newer card, like the GTX 1060 (or even better the 1070).

I have a 2600k and a 980ti and although I usually get 140fps at all things maxed out it can dip to 50-30 in raids or when there is a lot of particles.
You would actually be sursprised how much power it takes to run wow at all settings max. I'm also using a 1440p, he's using a 1080p, so..
I can max out BF4, MGS5, and Metro no problem and cap fps at 165, since that's as high as my monitor will go, but wow just uses a really old engine.

- - - Updated - - -

He thinks he'll get the Asus pb278q monitor, the corsair vengeance keyboard and he has't decided on a mouse yet. I think he already has decent speakers/headset.

It is the CPU that holds you down. I have a 7970 and a [email protected], and I (well, not "I", a buddy who plays with my rig) am running 60fps constant, heavy populated towns, raids...

there is no doubt that each series they release for wow updates the engine in a few ways. though this engine is still no crysis or name other gpu demanding game, from helping a friend and playing the trial for a bit. even on older HW with a 1440x900 res, cpu was a T5600 back then, it might have been before the exp i dont recall. that old hw at that res was pushing 200fps and near 80's in high pop towns, what i noticed. is when i got into high pop towns my ping would skyrocket causing stuttering not related to fps. there was no doubt though when i moved it over to a higher end rig, the game really liked faster clocked cpus more then heavy lifting gpus. only way wow is going to become that gpu demanding is if they do a whole new wow with a greatly updated engine.

i have always wondered what a diablo type wow would look like or even a starcraft one.

See, this man knows! Lol.
Because he agrees with you or because what he says is correct? :shock::escape:

It is the CPU that holds you down. I have a 7970 and a [email protected], and I (well, not "I", a buddy who plays with my rig) am running 60fps constant, heavy populated towns, raids...

there is no doubt that each series they release for wow updates the engine in a few ways. though this engine is still no crysis or name other gpu demanding game, from helping a friend and playing the trial for a bit. even on older HW with a 1440x900 res, cpu was a T5600 back then, it might have been before the exp i dont recall. that old hw at that res was pushing 200fps and near 80's in high pop towns, what i noticed. is when i got into high pop towns my ping would skyrocket causing stuttering not related to fps. there was no doubt though when i moved it over to a higher end rig, the game really liked faster clocked cpus more then heavy lifting gpus. only way wow is going to become that gpu demanding is if they do a whole new wow with a greatly updated engine.

i have always wondered what a diablo type wow would look like or even a starcraft one.

I dont think my cpu is holding me back.
And Im usually right around 15ms local and 18ms world, so I don't think that's unreasonable.
It's not that I see stuttering or anything, I'm just saying even with my overclocked 6700k and slightly overclocked 1070 I still can watch fps dip below 60 often in populated areas.

sounds like you were near servers, back when i tried wow no matter what realm i was on it was 150+. in high pop it would rocket to 400+, that was on the fastest i could get back then being 3mbit DSL.

sounds like you were near servers, back when i tried wow no matter what realm i was on it was 150+. in high pop it would rocket to 400+, that was on the fastest i could get back then being 3mbit DSL.

My internet averages around 35mb/s, if I'm gaming on it that usually means the family is all asleep and my computer is the only thing running.
I have no idea where the servers are in relevance to my location, but I rarely go over 20ms unless there'san issue with their servers.

Back