• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From TOPVIEW... drill straight in between the fins all the way through..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCFreak

I was lapping my new fop32 & thought hmmmm...
a duron cpu has 5 raised areas ...in between is air
space ......
im gonna dap som thermpaste on all raised parts...
set the heatsink in place (thus marking all areas)
& then drill tiny air holes in the dead air space areas...

What do ya think???
first ill note regular temps then post my results
opinions pleeeeaazze
theanx MichaelT

The only place the CPU contacts the heatsink is on the core...I'm not sure what you are expecting to accomplish by drilling away the heatsink base. It seems to me, it would only interrupt the heatpaths and make your heatsink less efficient.

Un-necessary and uneffective.

Heat doesn't travel by airpaths except for in the middle atmosphere in jetstreams. Heat travels by cross diffusional molecular energy transfer. Drilling holes in a heatsink would suppress this action, thus increasing the temperature of your CPU.

sometimes..............

wild_andy_c (Mar 11, 2001 02:41 a.m.):
Un-necessary and uneffective.

Heat doesn't travel by airpaths except for in the middle atmosphere in jetstreams. Heat travels by cross diffusional molecular energy transfer. Drilling holes in a heatsink would suppress this action, thus increasing the temperature of your CPU.

sometimes..............

Do you have somekind of degree in Thermal Dynamics or something??

The holes in your HS would probably fool the motherboard’s CPU temp sensor like the Orbs and ThermoEngine.

Kewl.. thanx all for the input on my idea.... jus got most the parts in today..... still waiting on the case
i jus figured air circulating through the dead space between the cpu & heatsink would help.... especially since its forced air roaring straight down into the sink.....then fanning outward...
but then i noticed the new epox board has a bios cooling fan
just below the cpu...... the "spin off" air should cool this air space......

epox 8kta3
duron650
thanx all
MichaelT

It would probabally keep the ceramic base cooler and fool any sensors under the chip into thinking that is was cooler but you would be reducing the mass of the sink without giveing it much more surface area which would reduce it's effectiveness

Back