• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frontpage etc - run from central server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyTheRed

I was just installing MS Frontpage 2000, and when you get to the choice of "Install Complete" or "Install Custom", I choose custom (as always). You get the choice of instaling each individual component, but even mroe than that you can select how you want them to run. You can choose "Run from CD", "Run from Hard Drive", "Install on First Run". I've always seen these, and there's nothing new about them. But today, for the first time, I saw "Run from network Drive".

Does this mean, you can have it installed on a central server, and you can run it from there, without a hitch? So each machine doesn't need to have Frontpage and all it's additional files installed on it?

Is this option just now being added to new software? Or is it only for certain products?

- Thanks

hmm... well i would assume that you could make it so it reads those files from a central server and you don't have to install them all on remote machines... but you may need a special version (a server version possibly) that allows it to serve the files...

If you're thinking you can install it on a central server and run it on any machine in that server's network, you need a special license to do that (well, not special, but you need a license for each computer). If you just want those files to be stored there so that when you want to use them (and thus when they require installation), you won't have to search for the CD, I think that's what that's designed for.

Z

Back