• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frosty Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How do you like that Z87 OCF? That was the board I had for my short stint with Haswell. I loved the board. I just wish I had gotten a better 4770k (or had enough time to bin them). It's hard to find a chip worth selling my 3770k over. 6.7 max chip is pretty damn nice to have on hand. No CB, and a -140 CBB (I'm convinced it's the board). I can't complain much. :D

Hi,the Z87 OC Formula is a awesome board,I would go as far to say it is the best 32M pi board out there.It is so rock solid for what ever type benching you are doing,3D,2D,looks like the Z97 OC Formula is going to be great as well

Little Single stage memory benching with EK SS adapter plate on Z97 OCF and Gigabyte Z97 Force

Some 3D action from last night

AsRock z87m OCF and 780ti

Attachments

• 8 4 14.JPG
    8 4 14.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 813
Nice pics ^^,some cold memory
DSCN9941.jpg

Well it's been a while since I benched anything AMD. I just had to finish off the rest of the LN2 that was in my dewar so I got some decent 3 core results for the bot. And I got to freeze the hell out of the board after. :thup:

IMG_20150810_225655_zpstrusm5dv.jpg

IMG_20150810_225640_zps9kmeww0x.jpg

IMG_20150810_225544_zpstkj96gun.jpg

Hiya Bullant!

Omg those are some stellar frosty shots!! Hoping to try cold psc (figure try with the ss first then with ln2) in the next couple weeks (playing with a decent 4790k atm). Have to dig through lots of threads and bug Jason for tips hehe

Thanks for sharing these!

Hiya Bullant!

Omg those are some stellar frosty shots!! Hoping to try cold psc (figure try with the ss first then with ln2) in the next couple weeks (playing with a decent 4790k atm). Have to dig through lots of threads and bug Jason for tips hehe

Thanks for sharing these!
Hey

Yeah Psc is fun mate, let me know how you go....thanks

Hello,
So I was admiring the photos on this thread. Can you or someone explain what the cooling systems are. I was going to guess, refrigerator parts thrown together. Please educate me. I was going to dabble my idea, another thread I was brainstorming on, using the Einstein Cooling method, but with propane. Anyways seems like this dabbling has already been jumped all over by many others. What kind of room temperatures are you experiencing with these systems running during gaming? What do you use for thermal energy transfer? Are you using a two or three phase transfer method or maybe a using a getter behind a medium once the transfer is completed?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Are any of you machinists?

Most of these pics will be from using Liquid Nitrogen (LN2) though there are a few that used Dry Ice (DICE), Phase Change, and maybe even a Peltier cooler.

Generally speaking these sub-zero coolers are not used for gaming or any long duration calculations. They are primarily used for competitive system benchmarking.

Hello,
So I was admiring the photos on this thread. Can you or someone explain what the cooling systems are. I was going to guess, refrigerator parts thrown together. Please educate me. I was going to dabble my idea, another thread I was brainstorming on, using the Einstein Cooling method, but with propane. Anyways seems like this dabbling has already been jumped all over by many others. What kind of room temperatures are you experiencing with these systems running during gaming? What do you use for thermal energy transfer? Are you using a two or three phase transfer method or maybe a using a getter behind a medium once the transfer is completed?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Are any of you machinists?

As mentioned, most photos in this thread are liquid nitrogen/dry ice, neither of which is a cooling system so much as an extreme benchmarking temporary measure. If you want to look into phase change systems, parts wise, they are very similar to refrigerators but made for the purpose of cooling a CPU. {No, one can not use a refrigerator...the parts are similar, but SS is not a refrigerator.} Google led me to this video, which has a good brief description of a single stage phase change cooler at 5:36. There are also dual- and triple-stage coolers, but once you go past single stage the degree of difficulty becomes exponentially higher. Triple stage coolers are about the size of a medium-large table and waist height. Here's a triple stage cascade build. They are insanely hard to build and keep running; very few people in the OC community are even capable of building one. Upkeep can also be an issue, heh.

Here's our own intro to the various extreme cooling types: https://www.overclockers.com/an-introduction-to-extreme-cooling/

Back