• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fruit Based Fun - Ryzentosh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonthunder

Sooo It's been a long time since I posted my original plans for my hackintosh which you can find here

I thought I would tidy things up and put a clear project log of where I'm going with the whole build now as the previous thread is a mess and doesn't make sense with the direction I'm going.

And Im now going RYZEN :eek:

My reason for this build is i need a new mac due to my iMac being on its last legs and apple is now a rip off! Only good thing about them is the OS and I don't have £1000 spare.

So I'm building a Hackintosh on a budget that will hopefully cost half the price of the basic spec iMac and be alot better!

-------------------------------------------------------------

iMac Spec - www.apple.com/uk

21.5-inch iMac - Item Price: £1,049.00
Hardware;
1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
8GB 1867MHz LPDDR3
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Intel HD Graphics 6000
Magic Mouse 2
Magic Keyboard (British) & Users Guide (English)
Accessory Kit

iMac specs have change since I started this but this is what Im aiming to beat - new specs of iMac are here

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So what rough specs am i going with for this build now............ Im buying bits as i go along (being an adult and paying bills sucks!!)

Ryzen CPU - Still debating on which one as prices have dropped with the new gen just coming out, also want it to have vega graphics due to saving for GPU so I can kickstart my Hackintosh project

Motherboard - Not sure which yet

AMD RX 570 8GB GPU

16 GB Ram

1 TB HDD

250 GB SSD

500w or higher PSU 80+ bronze

Things already purchased......

1 TB HDD

Cooler Master CPU cooler - already purchased - post pics soon

2 x Monitors - Already purchased ASUS 21.5 will post pics soon.

Case - already modified in previous post but not sure if Im happy with it....... see here I can always change the case at a later date once funds allow.

Anyways hope you all enjoy this...

I've wanted to ask the question for years-why put an Apple OS on other gear?
Mac OS is fantastic. Much prefer it to windows works great for Adobe suite.

I can't justify a new iMac simply due to price and they're not upgradable.

I want something that can be both hence hackintosh.

Ryzentosh is less Dosh!

I have to say I've not followed the Hackintoh scene closely, but understood it was preferred to use similar hardware to that Apple uses to make it easier. Is Ryzen a workable solution these days?

I've wanted to ask the question for years-why put an Apple OS on other gear?

Apple gear is the same as windows gear, for the most part. That's almost like asking why put Window$ on Linux gear.

I wondered because Apple's OS is more of a locked down environment than Windows 10. Seems like all the work required to make it work and the limited software it allows would make Linux an attractive option. Then again, I've never used an Apple anything, so there's that. LOL

Then again, I've never used an Apple anything, so there's that.
It's handy if you like OP use the adobe suite to edit video and photos and stuff, you can also dual boot windows, or run windows in bootcamp. Some people just prefer the Apple OS gui, which is quite appealing honestly coming from a lifetime windows user.

Yeah, my uses and needs have me severely limited in areas like that. I'm trying to broaden my knowledge base a little, as I suspect I'm going to have to try Linux when Windows 7 just won't do what I need. Fortunately, all I "need" is web browsing, email, and a few games. LOL

Yeah, my uses and needs have me severely limited in areas like that. I'm trying to broaden my knowledge base a little, as I suspect I'm going to have to try Linux when Windows 7 just won't do what I need. Fortunately, all I "need" is web browsing, email, and a few games. LOL

And that's what keep me stuck with winblows; games. I've been fiddling with Linux for a little while and like it alot over winblows, but I still can't game on it :cry:

A Neb sighting! :clap:

Yeah, Windows 7 was so good it kind of sealed the deal on almost everything being made to work with Windows first, often exclusively. Then there was 8. Now 10 and no MS OS seems like it will change the trend no matter how bad it is. I'll give Uncle Bill credit, he knows how to corner a market. LOL

Finally getting somewhere with this! First order of business is done RAM and it's a bargain currently!

Hopefully the price doesn't jump up by next week!

Also a few more select goodies will be on there way!

Also picked up this awesome mouse aswell! Much better on my wrist and shoulder. Screenshot_20200207_161021_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping~2.jpeg IMG_20191225_180640.jpeg IMG_20191225_180627.jpeg

Ryzentosh is less Dosh!

This is pretty sweet. I love the fact that Ryzen can do this now. Last November I helped a co-worker build a 9700K based Hackintosh, RAID NVME, 64GB ram, 5700XT, fricken sweet rig that would manhandle windows. He is a photographer, and does video and his 2017 MacBook Pro wasn't cutting it anymore.

Enjoy all of this sweetness!

Thanks :) so here's an update of what were currently running and how things look.

Gigabyte A320M-S2H - Micro ATX

PNY -128GB SDD

Toshiba - 1TB HDD

Corsair Vengeance LPX - 2 X 8GB

EVGA 600W 80+ White

AMD Athlon 3000G

-----------------

I bet you're thinking why the athlon.... Well it's to get things up and running! Currently tackling Ubuntu.... Oh the joys!! haha I don't make it easy on myself!

The Athlon and the crappy case I've got will be repurposed in the next few months.

And I will be getting a 3rd gen Ryzen and a 8GB graphics card!

Also a nice new case :)

Below is how things look so far.
IMG_20200229_144526.jpeg

Ryzentosh is less Dosh!

So another quick update... I have been messing with Ubuntu although I like it I'm having trouble with some scripts for Adobe CC had it worked I would of changed my mind about Ryzentosh.....

But I'm back on track! Got a R5 2600 and 8GB RX 5800 OC on the way and a new case :D

I'm going to repurpose the athlon and it's a fantastic processor and look at putting a small inexpensive HTCP together.

Ryzentosh is less Dosh!

Mac OS is fantastic. Much prefer it to windows works great for Adobe suite.

I can't justify a new iMac simply due to price and they're not upgradable.

I want something that can be both hence hackintosh.

Ryzentosh is less Dosh!

I actually prefer Linux to Mac OS and don't have a use for Windows. I did a couple hackintosh's back in the OS X days, was a unique experience but ultimately having to be wary of Apple's updates made me feel that my h-tosh was not in a firm foundation, so eventually would end up with a Linux install.

So got all the new nice bits and this is how it's going so far.

I will show more of the setup and full spec soon. Currently going to run Windows and get my office sorted so I can work and In spare time work on the hackintosh side.

Got rid of Linux due to needing creative cloud :(

Need to get windows on then tidy my office and get everything sorted now. IMG_20200323_111014.jpg IMG_20200402_094719.jpg IMG_20200402_125113.jpg

Ryzentosh is less Dosh!

Back