• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

frying a P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mirko_3

is it even possible? all the fried CPUs I knwo about are athlons... and I understand why :)
But P4 just turn off at a certain temp... has anyone fried one?:eh?:

JaY_III

Senior of BX
many people have fried P4's
And they are not frying from heat (most likly like the athlons you mention) but rather from Voltage.

Rasing the defualt Vcore more than 10% can get risky and can damage the CPU.

15% incress in Vcore should be the max one raises the Vcore of ANY cpu if they dont want to damage it. 15% still has some risks, but the CPU should still operate fine but the risk of killing it due to voltage is becoming more present

16%-20% is were the real danger is. MANY CPU's will die running with the Vcore raised this much. Only go this high if you are willing to accept the chance of your CPU frying as it is a real posiblity at this level. High end cooling should always be used at this level, such as watercooling.

20%+ the benifit of raising the Vcore starts to disapear very fast and the risk off killing the CPU is very high, not recomended at all.
Unless you have a frozen CPU, dont even try it

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

oh, I wasn't really thinking about the S.N.D.S... only about heat... so anyone? That is, if it's possible...

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

if I start my pc without the waterblock, it just shuts down after a couple seconds...
Are the guys at AMD dumb or is including a termal protection in the cpu such a hard thing? I think it would make soooo many people live less... anxiously every time the turn the cpu on...

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

i guess you're right... did amd ever wonder why it is that they're selling less than intel?
and actually if you read the article on overclockers.com (something like "amd introduces price parity") you may change your mind on amd's lower prices...