• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB OC Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mantis69666

Registered
I tried OC my FSB and changed the DRAM settings to what I think they needed to be and when the computer boots it seems to boot fine except it doesn't go into WinXP Pro. Is there something I'm missing or any recommendations on my settings?

I tried just going to 170 instead of the 166. I changed the CAS to 2; bank interleave to 2 bank; Trp to 2T; Tras to 5T; CMD (Trvd) to 2T; and Burst to 8. Also, DRAM Command rate to 1T command and DRAM access time to 2T

I think those are way too high for pc2700 ram, since its already running at 333mhz. Anything more is an overclock of the ram.

Try much less aggressive timings. If you had to change the cas to 2, what was it before? Don't go to a lower number when overclocking, go higher.

It was 2.5, I didn't know I should go higher. I thought lower numbers were better. I'm trying to up the FSB because I'm having no luck in OC'ing anything else. If I change the multiplier off of auto to 13x the comp won't boot at all, and anyways I've been reading that it is better and more productive to OC the FSB and ram. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well there is a chance that your comp won't boot at cas 2 without even overclocking.

Try setting it to SPD and overclock the fsb, when you cant go higher with the fsb, then try using less aggressive memory timings.

If you don't know what the settings are at when you set it to SPD, get this. It will tell you your settings.

mantis69666 said:
It was 2.5, I didn't know I should go higher. I thought lower numbers were better. I'm trying to up the FSB because I'm having no luck in OC'ing anything else. If I change the multiplier off of auto to 13x the comp won't boot at all, and anyways I've been reading that it is better and more productive to OC the FSB and ram. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The reasoning behind that u cant change the multiplier w/o it not booting is because the L1 bridges on ur CPU arent closed/unlocked....closed is a term used for a factory unlock in a way....and unlocked is a term for when u do it manually, screw the factory way :p

But plz come back w/how ur computer is going...good luck!

bubba gump said:

The reasoning behind that u cant change the multiplier w/o it not booting is because the L1 bridges on ur CPU arent closed/unlocked

I thought the bartons came unlocked? Or is that only with a mobo like the epox 8rda?

Yea, apparently that is my problem. Well, here goes nothing!

Actually, I think I'll try tomorrow when I have better light (my 3rd desk light is blown) and I can get a "real" pencil to jump the L1 bridges. That is the only ones right?

if you wanna relax on ur timings for your memory, switch it to optimal timings....it works good for 200fsb

No, You can't get 200 FSB unless you want to risk data corruption on your HD. The KT400 chipset does not have a PCI lock, and the 1/5 divider will only keep the PCI bus at 38Mhz at 190 FSB. Also I don't think the pencil trick will work with the Barton, you will have to cut the bridges or you will have to blow them with a 9v battery.

OK, now I'm confused. I've been reading that you need to bridge the L1 bridges to get it to work. So you're saying that I need to cut the L1 bridges? Which ones, all of them?

So I blow the 5th L3 and make sure the L1's are bridged, right? I thought I remember reading somewhere that I when you blow the 5th L3 that I should also blow the 3rd L3, is that correct?

Sorry if it seems like I'm asking so much, I just can't afford another 200 bucks right now.

mantis69666 said:

Your going about this process the wrong way

Set your multiplier to about 9, then overclock your ram as far as the system is stable, then start bumping your multiplier.

You have to eliminate as many problems as you can, this is the best way to do it IMO

If I start OC'ing the RAM I'm still not sure which values I bump. Do I need to adjust any of the voltages?

Hello-been hanging out in cooling but I want to confirm something here about my first O/C attempt. Related question anyway (I think...).

No, You can't get 200 FSB unless you want to risk data corruption on your HD. The KT400 chipset does not have a PCI lock, and the 1/5 divider will only keep the PCI bus at 38Mhz at 190 FSB.

Just started nudging up my FSB (yesterday) now that I've got my cooling straightened out. Am planning on dropping my multiplier and going up a few mhz at a time over the next few days.

Would really like to get to 166+. With my board (KT400), can I assume anything <190 FSB is pretty safe for my HDDs?

Thoughts?

Back