• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fsb or multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnDborder

Ok experts of overclocking, I'm ready to OC.
Which would be advisable to do, adjust the FSB or
"up" the multiplier, a little at a time.
Also, what's the best way to test for stability?

MSI K7T Turbo-R ver.1.0b16 133fsb
AMD 1gig Tbird axia0*****W Y6*****2
384mb cl.2 133 Crucial
2 Maxtor 7200rpm/100 striped
Radeon 64 ver.7089 "Raid-On" tweaker
Alpha 6935, Delta 38cpm
SBLive mp3 5.1
Soho Ethernet card
Win 98se

Thanks

Do both, You can start with the FSB to find out how high you can take it, when it gets unstable, bump the core voltage a bit . Then drop back some with the FSB and go up un the multiplier. Keep going back and forth between the 3 untill you find your "wall". I test for stability with Prime 95, 3Dmark, and Folding.

Maybe a dumb question but...
"Prime 95, 3Dmark, and Folding" all running at the same time?

Thank you for the reply

Yup, all at the same time. If it can survive an hour of that, then I'd say it's pretty stable. Sometimes I throw in some Quake 3, Unreal, or Nascar just to mix it up a little.

FSB will increase overall system performance eg all PCI/AGP devices and Processor speed

Multiplier increases only affect the processor and will have less effect on overall system performance

up the FSB as far as possible but be careful - low quality memory will hold you back

fsb as high i possible of course and finish with multiplier...

multiplier allows you to only oc your cpu, so no pci devices will freak out...

when fsb is too high things can get messed up really bad (data-loss, soundblaster not functioning properly,...)

The Stickie (May 23, 2001 10:01 a.m.):
fsb as high i possible of course and finish with multiplier...

multiplier allows you to only oc your cpu, so no pci devices will freak out...

when fsb is too high things can get messed up really bad (data-loss, soundblaster not functioning properly,...)

I'd say there are three steps:

1 - determine maximum FSB by using a low CPU speed (e.g. 6x160MHz=960MHz)

2 - deterine maximum CPU speed at a stable FSB (e.g. 11x133=1460)

3 - determine best common denominator at highest possible FSB: 1460/160 = 9.1 ==>9x160=1440/160 is your best combination.

Yo

nelly (May 23, 2001 06:05 a.m.):
FSB will increase overall system performance eg all PCI/AGP devices and Processor speed

i didnt know it effected the pci devices. . .is there any danger of killing something (like the modem, sound card etc.)?

I have a soundblaster, i have heard of some guys burning out there soundblsters before. Plus I got a geforce 2 ultra, I really dont want to burn that out!! How risk is it to riase the FSB as high as it will go. I will get a XT card cooler soon, so that should help keep them cool!

If they burned out their SB, it was more likely because they turned up the volume too high. Depending upon how fast your memory is, an FSB of 150 Mhz is attainable, but generally, things start to get unstable in that area of speed. Some get a little faster, most get somewhere between 140 and 150 before things get unstable. As far as how high you can go with the Vi/o. I've never seen any improvement above 3.67, with 3.57 giving me the widest range. Below an FSB speed of 140, I run my Vi/o at 3.47. BTW, the odd voltage reading, as opposed to the bios calls of 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, etc, is the actual voltage read with a digital multimeter (Fluke) at the Vi/o regulator circuit. You rarely get the exact voltage you call for in the bios. My Vi/o runs .07V higher than called for in the bios.

Hoot

Back