• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB overclocking AMD Phenom II B75 (X4 Deneb unlock)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
I used some spare parts to build yet another rig, this time I’m running an AMD Phenom II B75 (heka) triple core.

With my Biostar TA970 motherboard and a spare 8GB kit of RAM I was able to unlock the 4th core, and after a short torture test 4th core appears to be stable.
Don't really have a whole lot of experience FSB overclocking when it comes to the Phenom II. I mostly go Black edition and use the multi, but this one fell right into my lap so I figured why not give it a go and see how far I can push it. Here is what we have so far:

-Stable 240 MHz FSB with a 1:3 ratio on the RAM (so set at 1333 but real is 1600 MHz) 7-8-7-20
-CPU multi has been set to the maximum, which is 15. So 240 X 15 = 3600 MHz clock
-CPU-NB appears to be stable at 2400 MHz @ 1.250v

I’m curious to see how much more I can get out of it but a little apprehensive to go further. Ideally, I'd like to go for a 270 MHz FSB which would equate to 4050 MHz CPU clock (15X) and 2700 MHz CPU-NB but this is all uncharted territory for me and maybe that’s just out of reach. I need a little help from my friends on the forum. If you have a good FSB profile or config for the Phenom II please post it here! Let me know what you think...

cpuz.PNG
cpuz2.PNG
cpuzz.PNG
aida.PNG

Last edited:
3.8-4.0ghz should be no problem. Here's where I currently sit with a B73.

B73 3877mhz ss II.png

Last edited:
Well, thanks for the insight. I was able to push the FSB to 250Mhz for 3.750Ghz CPU clock and 833.3Mhz memory clock.
I am happy with this result, however, I can't seem to get the system to run in dual channel mode with the FSB above 242Mhz. Any suggestions here? Right now, timings are set to BOTH (DCT0 and DCT1). I've tried all combinations and it still shows as single channel unless I drop the FSB below 243Mhz.

OC.PNG

That is probably a board or bios limitation. You may never get rid of that. If you're on the newest bios, try going back a couple. Or vice-versa.
Maybe try kicking the NB frequency down a click. 2500 might be edgy. HT link too. 2000 is good.

You have voltage room, just your temp is holding you down.

Thanks for your response. Seeing as how I can't achieve dual channel mode over 242Mhz, I have to settle for 240Mhz FSB. This leaves me with 3.6Ghz CPU clock, 2400Mhz CPU NB and 800Mhz memory (7-8-7-18 CL1). I am happy with that result. In fact, I think I'm going to miss this processor once I upgrade to the 960T. Something about FSB overclocking makes it all more worthwhile. System is fast and responsive. In any event, here are my benchmark results from AIDA64:

B75quadcore.PNG

Something about FSB overclocking makes it all more worthwhile.

Definitely a sense of accomplishment compared to just up the multi/voltage unstil BSOD or small brushfire in the case. The memory dance, HT link speed, NB speed. Big fun. Unless that's all you have to play with. After a while it's "Jesus! I would really love to just raise the multi and be done with it!" :rofl:

Oh the 960T is really a nice processor. I had one. 4200mhz daily with a NB/HT linked at 3Ghz. 1000mhz DDR3. Daily. All day every day. I have a screen shot from the bot running 4263mhz with a NB/HT linked at 3300mhz and memory running at 1100mhz. Such an outstanding chip. You will enjoy it :D

886185.jpg

Damn Shrimpbrime that's a great overclock! Hopefully I'll get lucky with the silicone lottery first time around! Even if that doesn't happen, I will sell it and find another one that overclocks and unlocks well. I'm curious, what type of cooling did you have on that rig? And that's impressive memory speed. One of the highest I've seen for a Phenom II!!!

That was a custom liquid loop. Winter OC.
My 980BE would do the same clocks.
Had a x2 565BE that was capable of the same thing but actually could run 4.4ghz. I think Mr. Scott has the x2...

A good handful of Phenom II chips will run 4ghz plus.

HT voltage was 1.30v. Cpu/nb. Was 1.45v nb core at 1.250-1.300v.

Very impressive! I will remember these #s when I go about overclocking my 960T.

And yes, I've hit 4.0Ghz with manyy of my Phenom IIs:
My 965 BE is capable of 4.2Ghz for benching.
My 970 PH-E0 was unlockable to 5 cores running 4.3Ghz on air
My other 970 EO was stable at 4.0Ghz across all six cores but no higher.

I really need to start saving for a water cooled setup....

EDIT: Going to be selling my car soon so perhaps I'll have a little left over...

Anyone want to buy a Ford Taurus SHO?

Last edited:
Liquid cooling is the way to go. Lower temps = higher clocks.

Most Phenom II are capable of 4ghz. Not all of them . my C2 940BE would only do 3.9ghz. Didnt matter the cooling either.

Oh that chip is sooo sweet.

**** 800mhz cas 6. Thats what its about right there!!

I have to admit, it's always been my favorite.

- - - Updated - - -

Liquid cooling is the way to go. Lower temps = higher clocks.

Most Phenom II are capable of 4ghz. Not all of them . my C2 940BE would only do 3.9ghz. Didnt matter the cooling either.
My 940 was worse than that. :p
Like running 2 Windsor's at the same time, off the same loop.

I think my 6400+ could do 3.6Ghz on air (with a hyper 212). But I never liked that processor. Ran very hot and was never quite stable even at stock speeds.

This one should do better ;)

IMG_20180613_121448945.jpg

Okay Guys, so it seems like more FSB overclocking is in the cards for me. Last week I was walking home and noticed a garage sale right down the street from where I live. I scored a free Phenom II 945 rig (and some other very old hardware). The Phenom II rig has a RB-C3 stepping 95W 945 X4 chip. Was running a Foxconn AM2 mobo with some ancient DDR2 memory. I figured we could help it out a little so I dissembled it, got rid of the Foxconn board and swapped in my spare Biostar TA970 mobo with DDR3 support (running an 8GB kit ATM).

Here is where we are at right now. Target goal is 270Mhz FSB...

Capture_240_all.PNG

Last edited:
So if I remember correctly this TA970 board has a problem with anything past 242Mhz on the FSB, but we got around that issue by jumping right up to 260Mhz and it seems rock solid at the moment... more to come!

View attachment 206367

Update... 275Mhz appears stable
Capture_275.PNG

2nd Update... 285Mhz FSB!
Capture_285.PNG

3rd Update... 295Mhz FSB!!! (Final tweaking will come later, once I find the absolute limit)
Capture_295.PNG

AIDA64 Cache and Memory Benchmark
Capture_cache and Memory Benchmark.PNG

This is just a balls to the wall run and its not 100% stable, just for fun (FSB is stable, but I'll have to drop the multiplier down to 13.5x)
Capture_4130.PNG

Last edited:
Here is the final, stable configuration:

Capture_FINAL.PNG

EDIT:
In order to pass CBR20 and play some games with full stability, I had to lower clocks to 3.834Ghz:
Capture_FINAL_REV2.PNG

Last edited:
Didn't think you'd mind me posting this Storm, as I've just noticed this thread. It made me think of the B77 I have.
b77.PNG

Back