• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaddyB

Hello,

Check my sig for system details, my cpu runs at 41c idle and 46c load. My problem is while playing games on my comp for an hour or 2 the game will crash or stop responding, 3d mark 2001 runs fine (score 4197), can run SisSandra burn in for 99 cycles with cpu math and multimedia OR memory. if i lower the fsb to about 145 the games run fine. same issue on this rig with a t bird 1200@1350. :mad:

ive tried upping the voltage on the cpu, ram and vid card, tried underclocking my vid card and i dont think heat is an issue (ram chips on the vid card hit 47c while gaming). im just not willing to say the fsb is too high and turn it down. does any1 know whats wrong or is my only solution to unlock my athalon turn down the fsb and pump up the multiplier? (i want this 1800+ running at 2100+ speeds minimum)

right now 2.5V for the ram but ive tried 2.6 (board can do 2.7, havent tried it) and the gpu ive tried at the minimum in the clock settings think it was 175 and the ram at 250, regardless the slider was all the way down. dont know the brand of the ram either bought it second hand (in another system)

Ok, lets go with the vmem and GPU are at stock settings so let us assume that it is good. How aggressive are the mem settings on the DDR?

cas latency is at 2 (only other option is 2.5, which ive tried) and the burst (i think thats what its called) is at 4 and as i understand it 8 is the more aggresive. but i dont know a whole lot about BIOS settings for memory so i havent played with anything else.

I am going to geuss here and go with generic ram rated at cas 2.5. I believe that the problem is either the processor or ddr. What voltage are you running on the processor? I see it is oc'ed in your specs.

right now its at 1.8V but i think its stable at 1.775, i just bumbed it up again earlier to try to fix the crashes, so u think i should buy some crucial or something? btw i was wondering if i bought some 333mhz ddr ram would i be able to use it (obviously not at 166, just to help me get to 150 fsb) or would 330 mhz just not work on a kt266a chipset? i remember way back when u could buy pc133 ram for a pc100 system (or 150 for a 133 sys)to make sure ram wasnt an issue....

thanks for all you help by the way

DaddyB said:
right now its at 1.8V but i think its stable at 1.775, i just bumbed it up again earlier to try to fix the crashes, so u think i should buy some crucial or something? btw i was wondering if i bought some 333mhz ddr ram would i be able to use it (obviously not at 166, just to help me get to 150 fsb) or would 330 mhz just not work on a kt266a chipset? i remember way back when u could buy pc133 ram for a pc100 system (or 150 for a 133 sys)to make sure ram wasnt an issue....

thanks for all you help by the way

I'm quoting all this so I can read and type. You are writing so I take it that it is still crashing at 1.8v, correct? If you are in the market for ram then take the ram up to 2.7v. I was running mine all last night at 3.1v and I always ran my shuttle at 149 (fastest settings) at 2.7v. This was one of my complaints with the shuttle, not enough ddr voltage. Hey, given the price of ram you might look at a board instead, I am using a epox 8K3A and am thrilled with it. As I type I am running Crucial 2100 at 170 fastest settings and took it up to 195 (390) last night. Just a thought. Make sure you have good case cooling and move the ddr up to 2.7v and give it a work out. Keep the cpu at 1.8v and keep an eye on the temps. Stay at 45c and below.

Back