• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FTP List Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonny 2x4

I have the newest version of GuildFTPd and this is what happened towards the end of the connection.

Code:
PWD 
257 "/" is current directory. 
TYPE A 
200 Type set to A. 
PORT 192,168,1,100,5,21 
200 PORT command successful. 
LIST 
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls (100 bytes). 
425 Can't build data connection. 
List Error

The FTP works fine when i use my local ip address (192.168.1.100), but when I use my external ip address it gets that list error. If anybody can help me out with this I would be very appreciative.

I used to run a ftp off of guildftpd and never had a problem like this. I really want to stick with guildftpd because I don't want to have to learn how to use a new piece of software all over again.

Also, I have an ip that changes if I unplug the router and plug it back in (i have to do that sometimes when the connection messes up). Is there any free place that I can get a domain name to use instead of my ip? If I have a domain name but it's not being used right now, could I use that?

Chris

Are the FTP ports forwarded from you're router to you're local IP? Whe nyou're IP changes all the time its called a Dynamic IP and when it stays the same all the time its Static, you have a Dynamic IP. There are free services out there that will let you use a domain name istead of an IP. The only one i can this of the top of my head is http://www.dyndns.org I dont know if it is free, but like i said thereare some free ones about myabe someone can recommend you one:)

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
FTP has 2 modes: PORT mode and PASV. For PORT mode, you need to open ports 20 and 21. In PASV mode, you need port 21, and a range of other ports (check the help of the FTP server program to see what ports it uses).

OP
Jonny 2x4

Jonny 2x4

oh crap! thanks su root, i forgot to do the other range......

i'll brb and tell you if it worked.

EDIT: It worked. You do have to have passive on but I also forgot to open up the port range, thank again guys (I can't believe I forgot that...).

Last edited: