• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FUGGER's next generation cascade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SOOO COLD. Um whats preventing liquid nitrogen from condensing on the head of this thing? Neoprene will crack, silicone will harden and contract, dielectric greese will most likely freeze.

madcow235 said:
SOOO COLD. Um whats preventing liquid nitrogen from condensing on the head of this thing? Neoprene will crack, silicone will harden and contract, dielectric greese will most likely freeze.

Yeah, lol. You no longer have to worry about water condensing, you have to worry about ever gas known to man condensing on it.

You do realize that at temperatures around LN2 the transistors basicly fall apart? Going colder and colder is not going to keep helping, especially in the life of the hardware, at a certain point.

Effulgence said:
You do realize that at temperatures around LN2 the transistors basicly fall apart? Going colder and colder is not going to keep helping, especially in the life of the hardware, at a certain point.

Yes, sometimes a CPU will just stop working at that kind of temp. I don't really think this kind of cooling would be for 24/7 use because the silicon would eventually crack from going from room temp to -200C, then back to room temp.

Wouldn't a good use for that be a cooler for a lan party that has water cooled PC's and all dumps into one resevoir?

CreePinG_DeatH said:
Wouldn't a good use for that be a cooler for a lan party that has water cooled PC's and all dumps into one resevoir?

No, a offic AC compressor would work better. You would need a larger heat capacity, not lower temps. At a lan party with a lot of computers, you would have maybe 10,000Watts of heat. That helium compressor would die under that kind of load.

Ahhh very true..... Should have remembered that after getting my 1/2HP low temp compressor and hearing the word OVERKILL

Chris_F said:

No, a offic AC compressor would work better. You would need a larger heat capacity, not lower temps. At a lan party with a lot of computers, you would have maybe 10,000Watts of heat. That helium compressor would die under that kind of load.

That's how. ;)

If you didn't watch what you were doing, you could freeze the water, like on initial startup, the water might freeze before it gets to the heatsource, for example. Or if the load on the setup that is designed for 10,000 watts of heat drops to a couple thousand...

Chris_F said:

Yes, sometimes a CPU will just stop working at that kind of temp. I don't really think this kind of cooling would be for 24/7 use because the silicon would eventually crack from going from room temp to -200C, then back to room temp.

if it was on 24 /7 the temp whuld not chang much and you woint let warm up even when youre not using it the cmpressor will run all the time even when the computer off

i agree, having a cpu at -150C 24/7 would be the most reliable you could get. you would just have to make sure prime95 was ALWAYS running or it might cool down a bit more. the biggest danger would be initialy cooling it down, as if you go too fast you will crack the cpu in half.

i doubt his setup is gonna work well for long term use though. with helium everything has to be PERFECT for it to be leak proof. think aobut helium ballons, the helium atoms are so small they escape THROUGH the rubber. the tiniest imperfection in any of the components means a leak.

cstarritt said:
i agree, having a cpu at -150C 24/7 would be the most reliable you could get. you would just have to make sure prime95 was ALWAYS running or it might cool down a bit more. the biggest danger would be initialy cooling it down, as if you go too fast you will crack the cpu in half.

i doubt his setup is gonna work well for long term use though. with helium everything has to be PERFECT for it to be leak proof. think aobut helium ballons, the helium atoms are so small they escape THROUGH the rubber. the tiniest imperfection in any of the components means a leak.

you DO know the guy putting this together builds industrial -150C cascades for a living, right? he is a HVAC Engineer.
(Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning)

cstarritt said:

Or you could use an injector so the temp never changes even when at idle or load.

Back