• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fury's no longer "cool"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Noticing two things
1) Fury prices have PLUMMETED (~250$)
2) No one recommends them

Is there some inherent flaw with them I'm not aware of? Genuine question. I know they aren't the most power efficient, but they aren't exactly potatoes either; still a top tier gpu imo. Why are they so cheap?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The fury is as fast as a 1060 and costs around the same... just uses more power and has less vram. With driver improvements/it's performance now vs release, the rx 480 is as fast as fury, has more vram, uses less power and is cheaper.

The fury X sits between a 980 and 980ti performance wise and is still $390...you can find a 1070 with 8GB for the same price. It performs better, uses less power, and doesn't have the potential concern of radiator mounting.

Last edited:

DaveB

Newegg is selling the "vanilla" Sapphire Nitro air cooled Fury for $240 after rebate - eBay has had sales around $250 lately. Its the water cooled Fury X and Nano versions still going for $390. If the Nanos dropped to $250, I'd pick one up for an ITX setup. I had a vanilla Fury between my 980 and 980Ti and that's where it sat performance wise. Compared to today's models, it outperforms RX 480 and GTX 1060, but is behind the GTX 1070.

Saul Goodman

The fury is as fast as a 1060 and costs around the same... just uses more power and has less vram. With driver improvements/it's performance now vs release, the rx 480 is as fast as fury, has more vram, uses less power and is cheaper.

I reckon the Fury would easily beat the 1060 and 480, judging by the gains Fury X has also seen with relive drivers.

http://www.overclock-and-game.com/n...several-games-benchmarked-4k?showall=&start=2

Initial reviews with ancient drivers (15.5 beta) have it on par/above the 980.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_Fury_Tri-X_OC/30.html

They are good value if you have the cooling and don't mind the power consumption, also said to operate extremely quietly with that beastly nitro cooler.

It could be the best value GPU on the market right now for 1440P.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Perhaps. Then it's a few percent faster for the same peice, more power hungry and less vram.

I don't know if I'd call it a good 1440p card though if it's as fast as a 980 or a bit faster. Also, that 4gb, hbm or not, can be an issue at that resolution with the highest settings/AA.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
i dont remember them ever actually being recommended or cool

OP
B

bob4933

The fury X sits between a 980 and 980ti performance wise and is still $390...you can find a 1070 with 8GB for the same price. It performs better, uses less power, and doesn't have the potential concern of radiator mounting.

The Fury X is not a good deal at this time obviously. The vanilla fury is now selling for 230-250$ all day, and is 2% slower than the fury x, which puts it pretty far above to the gtx 1060. Its not THAT much of a pig (250w), and with modern architecture cpu's running at 90-120w (depending on clock obviously), a 430w psu is still plenty.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The Fury X is not a good deal at this time obviously. The vanilla fury is now selling for 230-250$ all day, and is 2% slower than the fury x, which puts it pretty far above to the gtx 1060. Its not THAT much of a pig (250w), and with modern architecture cpu's running at 90-120w (depending on clock obviously), a 430w psu is still plenty.
It's a pig... no matter how much lipstick you put on it. 250W is as high as single GPUs really get.

I only saw a fury at newegg for 260... 1060 is the same price. So there is several percent difference in performance, but that power and ram though compared to 1060. For 1080p, it's a good deal.. but there are reasons to be forgotten. ;)

DaveB

It's a pig... no matter how much lipstick you put on it. 250W is as high as single GPUs really get.

I only saw a fury at newegg for 260.
The Sapphire Nitro Fury has a $20 rebate and free shipping, so $240 AR.

Saul Goodman

Perhaps. Then it's a few percent faster for the same peice, more power hungry and less vram.

I don't know if I'd call it a good 1440p card though if it's as fast as a 980 or a bit faster. Also, that 4gb, hbm or not, can be an issue at that resolution with the highest settings/AA.

True on the vram............But the minimums and averages have huge gains, and it will play nicely with the new low level apis. Not sure how many games you can wind up the settings at 1440p with the 6GB 1060 or 8GB 480 though either. That saying I probably wouldn't buy one myself at this point, but could understand why someone would purchase one if the price is right.

Uses about the same power, whilst making around the same noise level as a 980ti.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/72...deo-card-review-hbm-water-cooler/index10.html

i dont remember them ever actually being recommended or cool

That's because of mindshare, for the price of a 1060 it's a decent deal, and will be one of those cards that ends up being significantly superior to it nvidia counterpart (980) at the end of the day.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I can hear both sides... just answering the OPs question with my opinion on why its 'forgettable'. I mean, at this point it likely is one of the better cards in the price point, but, there are plenty of reasons to move on.

A $20 MIR doens't move it up my list though. ;)

RJARRRPCGP

The wattage reminds me of the R9 290/X... (And 280/X?) I suspect that the FuryX is just like the R9 290/X and R9 280/X, known better for raw GPGPU power than gaming...

Saul Goodman

The wattage reminds me of the R9 290/X... (And 280/X?) I suspect that the FuryX is just like the R9 290/X and R9 280/X, known better for raw GPGPU power than gaming...

They are well known for their mining power etc, but also both those cards kicked butt over their respective nvidia counterparts for gaming. But it's always too little too late with AMD cards stretching their legs down the track.

Caviman2201

I just picked one up from Newegg... I couldn't find anything else that was close in $ per FPS. GTX 980s can't be found for less than $400 and GTX 1060 may be the same price and more efficient, but its also 7% slower in BF1 @ 1080p and 16% slower @ 1440p.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1267-battlefield-1-benchmarks/page2.html

I'm not overly concerned about the power draw since I don't game very often... its not going to really affect my power bill lol. I was looking for the fastest card to push my 144hz 1080p monitor for <$250. I think I got it.

NewbieOneKenobi

It all comes down to your specific uses (e.g. newer cards, especially with weaker architecture, can be slower in older versions of DirectX, where old beefy cards can still rule supreme; also your preferred game settings matter a lot and different settings exact different loads on different architectures) and the bang for the buck. There could be a niche and a price where Fury is the best pick, but normally 480 will be the better purchase — cheaper card and cheaper power bill, newer tech, better support, longer life expectancy, more resale potential, easier CF etc.

I personally find it hard to resist the lure of once-mighty, once-expensive highest-end cards from previous generations, because there is something special, something epic about them, but they usually consume a lot more power than a more modern, less high-end card offering similar performance, often for less money because sometimes prices don't fall as fast as the tech ages, meaning they aren't realistically as good as they are epic. ;)