• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FW82371EB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

good

Registered
Let me start off by saying, I just started overclocking and I'm already addicted. I was sifting through my closet today looking for a can of air and I came across an old case with a motherboard inside. Intel FW82371EB: I know nothing of the chipset or what processor is on the board(except it's Intel). I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on the thing? It's ancient I can tell, and it fascinates me. I was gonna put it together with some spare parts but I couldn't find an IDE HD. :temper:

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 2,227
Last edited:

Old Thrashbarg

I know nothing of the chipset or what processor is on the board(except it's Intel)

There is no processor on the board.

The model number of the board is GA-6BA, it says right there on the lower left edge in your picture. The number you read off is from the southbridge.

It's a Slot1 PII/P3 440BX board made by Gigabyte. Nice board for its day, and one of the fastest boards to use the baby-AT formfactor. It looks like that revision only officially supports up to a 500mhz PIII, but assuming the voltage regulator can handle a Coppermine chip, it should work fine with a faster CPU... most BX boards would. The 4 RAM slots mean it'll take up to 1GB of PC100, regardless of what the official specs say.

Gresyth

Computer Abuser
Let me start off by saying, I just started overclocking and I'm already addicted. I was sifting through my closet today looking for a can of air and I came across an old case with a motherboard inside. Intel FW82371EB: I know nothing of the chipset or what processor is on the board(except it's Intel). I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on the thing? It's ancient I can tell, and it fascinates me. I was gonna put it together with some spare parts but I couldn't find an IDE HD. :temper:

FW82371EB is a chipset. The motherboard is a http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/gigabyte/GA-6BA.htm. This should help.

hehe, ya got in while I was putting in the link to the board info.:welcome:

OP
good

good

Registered
Thanks for the info. Do you think this board's BIOS is unlocked? I would definitely be interested in putting this piece together if there was a possibility of overclocking it a little. And if it was cheap hehe.

Old Thrashbarg

I did a little more looking, and it appears the voltage regulator will handle Coppermine chips, and even Tualatins... you'd need the proper slot adapter and maybe a BIOS patch, but you could run a 1.4ghz Celeron in that thing if you were so inclined.

The only thing really lacking on it is the fact that it doesn't support 133mhz FSB, so that limits your CPU choices a bit, and overclocking is pretty much a no-go.

Overclocking on those boards had nothing to do with unlocked BIOSes or anything... it was all done with jumpers on the board itself.

OP
good

good

Registered
It's cool to know what I discovered. I think it is pretty cool. I'm definitely going to keep this thing in safe keeping. Could make for a pretty neat project.