• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 overclocking and voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neptunereach

Hello,

I am new here and I am searching for help.

My computer:
CPU: FX6300 AMD black edition (no overclock)
PSU: Corsair CX600 Bronze edition
MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
RAM: DDR3 16GB 1333MHZ
Video Radeon HD 7850 factory OC 2GB
Storage: 250 GB Samsung 850 evo SSD, HDD WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 103
Case Fans: Bottom of case Cooler Master AF120 (120mm), Back- be quite! Shadow Wings, 80 mm.
Case: some non branded cheap box...

I have tried to OC my FX6300. All my bios options are in screen shots.

https://postimg.org/image/br48szkiz/
https://postimg.org/image/dk75hb5pn/
https://postimg.org/image/wdsyeb3xn/

I suppose 4GHZ overclock should run on Stock voltages, but it fails. Here is screenshot at OCCT stress testing.
https://postimg.org/image/c175yl9rf/
https://postimg.org/image/nrpotprxn/

The thing conecerning me is that vCore fluctuates. I suppose it is due to CPU LCC on auto? NOTE: here is vCore in manual set at 1.37 V (if i recall correctly). So I don't understand why this chip doesn't OC at all. It fails both on OCCT and Prime 95 (6th core that fails).

Appreciate any help.
I'll reply as soon as I can.

We use Hwmonitor NON PRO to monitor temps and Vcore. I suggest using it as well.
That said, you cooler appears to be much inadequate since you appear to be hitting 61C already in OCCT.
Noctua NH-D14 got me up to 4.4Ghz with my FX 6300, but my CPU sucked, it needed a ton of Vcore to do it so that hurt my overclock.

Max temp while stressing should be 62C package, 72C socket. And you're already there.
LLC I have mine set to ultra high . At least on my Sabertooth 990fx, it keeps the Vcore just slightly higher than what I set.
Your motherboard will work but up to 4.5Ghz or so. I know members here have pushed it higher but FX is a power hungry chip and personally only I'd push it on 8+2 VRM boards like the Sabertooth. (ASUS has the best AMD boards right now hands down. Gigabyte it hit or miss, usually being a miss sadly..)

Set the LLC to ultra high, and check Vcore in hwmonitor while you run OCCT. Give Prime95 blend mode a run as well.

But you are correct, almost any FX should run 4Ghz on stock Vcore....
If it's the 6th core that always drops out, that could be your weak core. Doesn't really mean much other than it may need more Vcore than the rest to be stable. That's all. Core #5 is the weak one on my Phemon II.

EDIT: Just saw your board is the non-pro version... 4+2 VRM is just not going to work well with your FX 6300. You MUST have a fan over the VRMs and honestly I wouldn't push the chip higher than 4Ghz.

Yeah. I don't get it why does it fail even on 4Ghz. I mean it is like turbo mode with no OC.
I think Ill try to change LCC to high or very high? Should that help? I guess then I should go with stock voltage to not burn my CPU due to LCC on high/very high options.

EDIT I have HWmonitor CPUZ OCCT PRIME95 and some other app for CPU temps.

V_Core needed depends a lot on temperature and the chip itself. Some are just better than others. Your CPU cooler although better than stock isn't great but should get you a bit better than 4 GHz. The Mobo looks to me like the 6+2 version which should handle your CPU just fine. My problem is your picture hosting, I can't see any of them. Could you please host them here at OCF instead of third party

V_Core needed depends a lot on temperature and the chip itself. Some are just better than others. Your CPU cooler although better than stock isn't great but should get you a bit better than 4 GHz. The Mobo looks to me like the 6+2 version which should handle your CPU just fine. My problem is your picture hosting, I can't see any of them. Could you please host them here at OCF instead of third party

Sorry, I'll try:

2016-09-18-19h26-Temperature-CPU.png
2016-09-18-19h26-Voltage-CPU VCORE.png
20160918_194441_HDR.jpg
20160918_194457_HDR.jpg

I see you have 16Gb of 1333 ram. Is it 2 sticks or 4 sticks and are they identical sticks?
Your temp is hitting the 60s now with AMD FX there are two temps one for core and one for socket, both are important and I don't know which on OCCT shows. Maybe try something like HWMonitor free version it will show both temps. First guess though is that you likely need more V_Core or your ram is messing with things.

I see you have 16Gb of 1333 ram. Is it 2 sticks or 4 sticks and are they identical sticks?
Your temp is hitting the 60s now with AMD FX there are two temps one for core and one for socket, both are important and I don't know which on OCCT shows. Maybe try something like HWMonitor free version it will show both temps. First guess though is that you likely need more V_Core or your ram is messing with things.

Yes, it is 4 sticks 4GB DDR3 RAM. I have recently upgraded to already 2 sticks of DDR3. Before I bought i checked that it is 1333MHZ through cmd command (i didn't remeber what it was when i bought and there are no physical writings on rams itself). So i bought two another of 1333MHZ

I don't know actually, it gets now above 60 degrees if i test it with 1.38V, so not much to overclock i guess...

Do us both a favor and take out two sticks of ram then try again. Just because it's the same speed doesn't make it the same. Make sure two matching sticks are in slot 2 and 4 going from the CPU.
As for the temp 75 is max for the socket and 62 ish for the core the problem is I don't know which one you are seeing.

Back