• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8320 - The voltage question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shazzrilla

Hey guys, short version. I used to be into overclocking some years ago, and I've recently gotten the itch again. Primarily because I am waiting to see how the new Zen CPU's look, before I upgraded.

I have the following:

FX-8320 @ 4.65Ghz (I want more, hence the thread) (Currently: CPU(1.525v - 1.52-1.54v), CPUNB(1.3v), CPUPLL(2.67v) - I bought this I believe before the 8370 was binned.
2x16Gb Corsair DDR2400 C11(Yes, this sytem is running at 300 bus, 2400 HT, 2400 DDR, 2400 NB) - Stock 1.65v
Gigabyte 970A-UD3P - v1.0(This may be what is stopping me, forcing me to hit such high voltage?) -- Additional fan mounted to cool the VRM.
Corsair H100i v2, in a case designed specifically for airflow(there is nothing blocking two intake AF120's)
Corsair CX750M Power supply (Additional power draw is 2 SSD's, and one storage drive so Minimal.)
eVGA GTX 1070 SC(got one, bit that bullet. Plan to get a second one after next years CPU upgrade. Yes it's also overclocked. GPU(Boosts to 2100) RAM(8666))

The above is stable in both Prime blend, and Prime small FFT for 24hours.

Temps:

TMP1-MB: ~30c
TMP2-CPUNB: ~50c
TMP3-CPUSocket?: ~55c

Core Temp: ~55c

Additionally GPU never exceeds 59c

Now the questions. Am I reading these temperatures correctly? I am aware the VRM temperature does not report on this board.

How much voltage do you feel is safe? I see 1.55v all over the place, and some people who swear be 1.6v... and even some who say go for it up to where temps start to cause problems.

I am willing to take the risk with my hardware, as an upgrade is due anyway... and if it all dies... well I guess I will get a i7-6700k instead of waiting on Zen.

Goal here: 4.8Ghz ... or 4.95. I also understand my chip just may never do it. It may however at some crazy voltage.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Take my advice, DO NOT exceed 1.65V daily. Your chip WILL degrade over time like my FX 6300 did.
If I was able to start fresh with that chip I would never exceed 1.6V, and i would only used 1.6V with really good watercooling. (at least 120.3 worth of rad. That H100i is 140.2 so it's less)

your CPU and socket temps are pretty much as high as I would go daily.

That's just me though. If you get your CPU cold enough (sub ambient) FX chips can take a beating!

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
I'll try to help you out. I have an early release 8320 overclocked from day one. Runs 5.0 gig stable @ 1.488v on high end custom water.
1.35v CPU/NB
2400 HT
2600 NB
Ram 1608 @ 1.65v @ 6-7-6-24 1T

On a 1st release Sabertooth 990FX board.

It still does 5 gig all day long but I cannot bench at the higher speeds I used to (5.4 gig @ 1.560v) under any circumstances. There has been some degradation, yes, but it's been 5 years or so. Most enthusiasts upgrade way before that. Cooling is the most important thing when OC'ing these FX's. Cooler temps = less volts.
Your AIO is your limiting factor. ;)

image_id_1037879.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Shazzrilla

Shazzrilla

Thanks guys!

I will definitely focus on not going over 1.6v, in extreme situations.

I think I will look at a custom loop, I would like to do that eventually for my GPU's also. Though, I did forget to mention that my temps are with all my fans on low, so I might be able to do better than that.

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
Thanks guys!

Though, I did forget to mention that my temps are with all my fans on low, so I might be able to do better than that.
Slightly, yes. Your AIO is no match for a 5 gig 8 core processor though. It WILL be overcome.

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
What about 4.8 @ 1.55-1.575?

I think I read somewhere 1.55v on AIO, and more on a custom loop.
Speed is irrelevant. It's the voltage that makes the heat. If you're over 1.5v, your AIO ain't gonna cut it. That's over 200w of heat.
For reference, a 9590 @ 4.7/5 gig stock takes only 1.525v average and that's 220w. You're already exceeding that.

Silver_Pharaoh

Cooling is the key for AMD yessir.

You might get a few extra MHz if you play with the FSB a bit.
Clock speed is #1 then comes NB speed then RAM. 2600 Mhz NB speed is a good number for FX.

trents

Take my advice, DO NOT exceed 1.65V daily. Your chip WILL degrade over time like my FX 6300 did.
If I was able to start fresh with that chip I would never exceed 1.6V, and i would only used 1.6V with really good watercooling. (at least 120.3 worth of rad. That H100i is 140.2 so it's less)

your CPU and socket temps are pretty much as high as I would go daily.

That's just me though. If you get your CPU cold enough (sub ambient) FX chips can take a beating!

SP, I think you are confusing his CPU voltage with his stated RAM voltage which is 1.65. He states his current CPU voltage is 1.525~.

Silver_Pharaoh

SP, I think you are confusing his CPU voltage with his stated RAM voltage which is 1.65. He states his current CPU voltage is 1.525~.
OP asked what the max Vcore should be. He's heard 1.55 but he's also heard of people saying 1.6V is safe.
So I shared my experience with 1.6v+ Vcore, which didn;t fair too well for that poor chip of mine ;)

RAM voltage btw, 1.7V is fine for 24/7.

OP
Shazzrilla

Shazzrilla

So what brand water blocks and fittings do you guys prefer? Like I said it's been years for me.

Silver_Pharaoh

So what brand water blocks and fittings do you guys prefer? Like I said it's been years for me.
I use the EK Supremacy XM AMD block, with 1/4 NPT to 3/8" brass barbs from Lowes. Rads are XSPC RX360 v2 and a BlackIce GTS240. The loop only cools my 1090t.

Ek is good I avoid any nickle plated products. Currently using distilled water + silver kill coil but I have some Mayhem's X1 coolant ready to use. Just need to drain and refill. Switching to PC coolant for added corrosion inhibitors plus I don't like seeing my shiny EK block turn black because of the silver coil.

trents

Just yesterday I purchased and installed an EK Supremachy Evo. Mostly because I wanted to use their naked mount kit and it's made to work with their water blocks to give proper clearance to CPU die.

Tír na nÓg

STop throwing money in an old platform (Scotty, don't shoot at me, yet!).

You won't see any difference between 4.8 and 5GHz.

Save the cash, then sold the CPU/MoBo/Ram combo and go for Zen.

OP
Shazzrilla

Shazzrilla

STop throwing money in an old platform (Scotty, don't shoot at me, yet!).

You won't see any difference between 4.8 and 5GHz.

Save the cash, then sold the CPU/MoBo/Ram combo and go for Zen.

Yeah, I believe that is actually the plan. I don't "fear" burning this stuff out, but I would rather be able to sell it. I think the H100i v2, will be solid on a newer chip for a while.

Mag10

I am a little late to the party but I also have an 8320 on a Gigabyte 990fx-UD3 board. Last I clocked was around 4.5GHz @ 1.35v or so... i think i managed to get 1.43v once on accident at a lower clock at the time. However my limiting factor to push past 4.5-4.7 range is my cooling. If I had better cooling I have a feeling this ship could his anywhere between 4.7-5GHz with no issues and minor voltage. although it will probably require at least 1.45v on the higher end of things.

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
I am a little late to the party but I also have an 8320 on a Gigabyte 990fx-UD3 board. Last I clocked was around 4.5GHz @ 1.35v or so... i think i managed to get 1.43v once on accident at a lower clock at the time. However my limiting factor to push past 4.5-4.7 range is my cooling. If I had better cooling I have a feeling this ship could his anywhere between 4.7-5GHz with no issues and minor voltage. although it will probably require at least 1.45v on the higher end of things.
Don't kid yourself. You will hit a wall at a little over 4.6
You will be well over 1.5v for 4.8 or better.

All FX's (8core anyway) act the same.

Mag10

Don't kid yourself. You will hit a wall at a little over 4.6
You will be well over 1.5v for 4.8 or better.

All FX's (8core anyway) act the same.

Well the CPU did manage 4.7 without issues outside of cooling with under 1.45v but i wasn't going to list that as stable either as it would run too hot for my AIO