• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 Mildclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Faulty IMC's? This is news to me do you have some information I could read on this RJAR?

I've killed IMCs before. Happens like I loose dual channel capability after pushing beyond 1300mhz effective clocks and 4ghz HT clocks. My FX-9590 did that. I cannot get dual channel running on that chip for the life of me. Currently retired and awaiting a good ol' LN2 run, I haven't tried the Cpu. But after running a FX-4300 in the same board with the same memory, I have dual channel again. And that's running 12GB at 933 - 1066mhz. (I'd have to look at actual speed cause I don't remember off hand)

Faulty and killed are two different things though, Shrimpy. The Fx 8350 I have doesn't have that great of an IMC and I struggle to get most ram over 1866 with any kind of real stability on it. My 6300 k on the other hand will run at 2300 Mhz with my Pi's onboard at 7-9-7 timings. I do not believe the Imc on these chips should be considered faulty, yes some are stronger then others. Considering the Fx chips are rated at 1866 on the ram and that is only with 1 stick on board. Faulty Imc is a pretty broad statement and I'm just looking for some info if there is any.

I see what you're saying brother, just was exclaiming how I've killed them and what happens.

However, I've not found any FX processors that could not do 933mhz or better on Cas 9. Also have only used 3 motherboards all Asus, so I cannot attest if that would be a motherboard/slot power issue. Like Cpu RAM NB and HT could very well have v-droop causing issues with Ram stability.

I've seen a lot of CPU/NB voltage pumped to get RAM to hit a certain Mhz. I found this voltage to be more useful when overclocking the NB it'self in conjunction with NB (chipset) core voltage. ALso have only used a couple of different types of RAM none of which where GSkills. I never bought into them because from previous generations (ddr, ddr2) I've only had bad experience overclocking them but also understand there are certain models of GSkill that can and do fly pretty well. However, there's never been a problem running 1000mhz even on the Llano rig I type to you now with Patriot Viper Xtremes currently running 1033mhz effective OCCT 6 hours stable back to back with Prime95.

the only issues I have with the fx imc is 2 sticks vs 4 sticks.
2x8 gig sticks is easy, 4x4 gig sticks is a bit of work but not much.
one of my chips it's just what ever I want to shove it and go.
one chip mixing ram is a sure no boot and another, 4 mixed sticks is just fine.
don't ask me, I think it's just luck of the draw.

I dunno, but suspect AMD having a lot of faulty IMCs on Visheras.

AMD may have a dirty secret for all I know. For all I know, AMD may have made Visheras so that more than 4 GB of RAM isn't supported!

weird. my 8370 runs 16gb of ddr3-2400 cas10 no problem

Well, I know with the 16 GB of G.Skill RipJaws, I can run Prime95 blend without an error.

The strangeness was discovered back in late 2014 when I used to have a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P motherboard and Intel Burn Test had random erroring with CPU and RAM at stock clocks! (With the PNY 2x4 GB kit)

I'm worried I may be forced to replace it with an FX-8370 and I'm broke!

Still don't see why you're saying that they have a faulty IMC. A lot of times when one is having issues with these Fx 8xxx chips it's because they're trying to run them on inadequate motherboards, even at stock clocks. I've also seen issues where the boards do not give the Cpu Nb enough voltage at stock settings. In most instances bumping the Cpu Nb Voltage will help alleviate issues related to memory with these chips.

I will also say this, as I stated above, my 8350 tends to need a bit more Cpu Nb voltage then the average chip to run ram at or above 1866Mhz. That said I have a particular set of G Skill Sniper 1866 sticks that my chip absolutely hates. I actually RMA'ed them 2x thinking it was the sticks but after the 3rd set realized my chip just hates them. I worked for hours to try and get them stable and eventually I thought I did. After running them for about a month I started having random issues again, which included, BSOD, Freezing etc. So I took them out and haven't had an issue since, now I'm running my 2400 Trident X at it's rated speeds without issue.

However, I've not found any FX processors that could not do 933mhz or better on Cas 9. Also have only used 3 motherboards all Asus, so I cannot attest if that would be a motherboard/slot power issue. Like Cpu RAM NB and HT could very well have v-droop causing issues with Ram stability.

--snip--

The gskill DDR3 has treated me well thus far, this was p95 2+ hours stable:

Also, in my GA-990fxa-ud5 mini review, it has WAY more screenshots. Even though I had to drop the CPU clocks, as my H80 was on death's door, the ram is still clocked at those speeds. I leave the tower on these days, cause there is no risk of leaking water too ;)

The Gskill ram I have does great, mind you I am only running it @ XMP spec, and not pushing it at all.

Attachments

• 1455371595427.jpg
    1455371595427.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 79
You shouldn't have to push it at all. IMC since 32nm release has been good deals! I'm running a Llano chip. Well past 933mhz, it's perfectly stable with stock timings. Patriot Viper extreme.

Here's a screen shot for ya. The memory isn't being pushed that hard really. It passes stability testing at stock CPU/NB voltage.

I cannot run more sticks, the board only has 2 slots lol.

E2-3200 Memory speed 1033mhz.png

You shouldn't have to push it at all. IMC since 32nm release has been good deals! I'm running a Llano chip. Well past 933mhz, it's perfectly stable with stock timings. Patriot Viper extreme.

Here's a screen shot for ya. The memory isn't being pushed that hard really. It passes stability testing at stock CPU/NB voltage.

I cannot run more sticks, the board only has 2 slots lol.

View attachment 174980

Ahhh I misunderstood. I blame the coffee not kicking in :p

No no it's all good!!!!

Love to see and hear what people gots goin on! More input makes us all fine tuned :D

Man_D was just wondering about a comment on faulty IMCs with FX chips. I'm just displaying how CPU/NB doesn't really effect Memory as much as just over-volting the memory it'self would do. That's all I'm trying to point out really.

Man_D was just wondering about a comment on faulty IMCs with FX chips. I'm just displaying how CPU/NB doesn't really effect Memory as much as just over-volting the memory it'self would do. That's all I'm trying to point out really.

On my old FX setup, turning down the RAM clock didn't help, IIRC and raising the CPU-NB voltage seemed to not really change anything!

Intel Burn Test would still fail in random spots, sometimes 4th pass, sometimes 2nd pass!

I think I also got more desparate and raised the VDIMM to 1.65V and no change...

On my old FX setup, turning down the RAM clock didn't help, IIRC and raising the CPU-NB voltage seemed to not really change anything!

Intel Burn Test would still fail in random spots, sometimes 4th pass, sometimes 2nd pass!

I think I also got more desparate and raised the VDIMM to 1.65V and no change...

My simple answer to this....

Intel Burn Test is not a tell all program for running AMD processors.

Back