• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 OC question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

For you overclockers out there. Could I overclock an FX-8350 with a Hyper 212 EVO in a push-pull fan configuration? I'm running my FX-6300 at 4.4ghz with this setup.

For you overclockers out there. Could I overclock an FX-8350 with a Hyper 212 EVO in a push-pull fan configuration? I'm running my FX-6300 at 4.4ghz with this setup.

I’m pretty sure you can; you’ll have to run a few stability and temperature test, but I’m sure you’ll reach 4.4 without any problems...

It's possible.
It will depend in the chip's actual VID, the amount of voltage you'll need for 4.4, your ambient temp, and airflow of your case.

My 8370 capped at 4.5ghz (also because of motherboard VRM temperature, I was using a m5a97 evo r2.0), so 4.3ghz-4.6ghz sounds about right [emoji4]

Last edited:
I have a FX 8350 at 4500 MHz under a Hyper 212x with a single fan, never touched the voltage. Just cranked up the multiplier until it failed and backed off one. It's in a NZXT Phantom 410 with the stock fans in it.

My 8370 capped at 4.5ghz (also because of motherboard VRM temperature, I was using a m5a97 evo r2.0), so 4.3ghz-4.6ghz sounds about right [emoji4]

+1
I have push both a FX-8350 and FX-8370 to 4.4-4.48 with an EVO-212/2 fans on a ASUS CH V F-Z:) If you want to go higher, I got to 4.7 with my FX-8370 and a AIO. The chips I have needed a Custom Loop to get 4.8-5.0, anything more required Dry Ice :) :thup:

This is the board I have
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-R5-rev-10#ov
There was only one rev for it. It's not the same series board you're referring to. This board came out after that rev version board you're meaning.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.
Realistically, there are only 3 good boards for clocking FX's.
All Asus.
The next best boards are all Asus too.
Your board falls in around the 7th or 8th spot on the list.

Yes, the board has that big an impact.
Cooling method is the other hurdle you have to leap on FX's.

Same chipsets, same 8+2 power section, same Gigabyte Digital Power Engine, down to the word for word description on Gig's website. for both boards, same BIOS up to F2. Mine has F3, not available for your board.

I got the FX-8350 today and did a little overclocking with it. This is what I got so far. Running Prime95 for about 30 mins now. Dropped two cores around an hour run time. I had to give the voltage a couple of bumps. I was able to run 4.4 ghz at stock. FX8350.PNG

Last edited:
I got the FX-8350 today and did a little overclocking with it. This is what I got so far. Running Prime95 for about 30 mins now. Dropped two cores around an hour run time. I had to give the voltage a couple of bumps. I was able to run 4.4 ghz at stock.
Madman you have room to push, my only question is "I was able to run 4.4 ghz at stock." When you say stock do you mean you still have the Cpu voltage on Auto? If so the board is raising the voltage to compensate for the heavier load. You're better off figuring out what it needs manually.

Madman you have room to push, my only question is "I was able to run 4.4 ghz at stock." When you say stock do you mean you still have the Cpu voltage on Auto? If so the board is raising the voltage to compensate for the heavier load. You're better off figuring out what it needs manually.

No. I manually put in the voltage as it was shown by core temp. I entered 1.3375v with LLC set to medium. 4.5 has needed a few vcore increases. It would drop a couple of cores around 1.5 hours. I'm stilling running Prime95 now. I had to bump the vcore one more as one core dropped out after 1.5 hours. So far I'm a little over an hour and still running OK.
I made 2 hours of Prime95 without an issue. 4.5GHZ with great temps. I'll go for 4.6 tomorrow. FX8350_4.5.PNG

Last edited:
I'm trying 4.6 but I've had to bump the vcore quite a bit. I'm up to 1.428v and still testing. The question I have is what test do you run in Prime95? I'm running the blend test but saw a video on youtube where a guy is overclocking the same CPU and he uses the small fft test. Which test is the correct one and for how much time to run the test?

right now, run the blend test, it also tests memory.
small fft just makes heat for you right now, so get what you can get with blend, then worry about the others later, it's time for you to learn also.
please open enough copies of cpu-z and show us all the tabs.
cpu-z is kind of cool, you can open all the copies you want.
what version of prime95 are you using?

Back