• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-9590 Random freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpeedJunkie

Hello,

First time using this forum.
I have freeze up issues with my FX-9590.
Please let me know where I need to post more info to get the proper help if its not right here, and which software will give you the best info.
I am totally frustrated with this processor and am going to chunk it for a slightly slower chip if I can't find help here.
I have tried suggestions from around the net, but still having issues.
I just don't understand all the bios settings to know exactly what I should be changing as I don't want to fry this new system.
Thanks in advance.

Here is the setup that I have.
MSI 990FXA Gaming MB, FX-9590 processor, crucial 500 gb SSD, EVGA Supernova G3 1000w power supply (220-G3-1000-X1), Evga GTX 1070 FTW Hybrid, Corsair Graphite series 760T Full tower, Corsair Hydro series H90, LG 14x SATA Blu-ray Rewriter (WH14NS40), G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB memory (F3-2133C9Q-32GZH), Logitech MX Master Mouse, Logitech K520 keyboard.

I'm not much of an AMD guy (or at least haven't been for years), but generally the MSI AMD boards are not at all well regarded.

Secondly there's only a couple motherboards that are even generally suggested for the 9590, the Asus Sabertooth and the Crosshair V, and maybe one or two others.

Overall, the vast majority of posts on these forums about the 9590 are about problems with them and not good things. If you just got the system I'd return it and build a Ryzen system, it's significantly faster and doesn't have the issues that the 9590 does. That or return the CPU and get an 8350.

I assume your system is basically running on stock settings. What temps are you seeing with CPU monitor in Windows? The H90 may not be enough cooler for that CPU either.

The cooler isn't going to cut it either. Like Janus said get the 8350/8370. You'll have a lot less headaches

Core temps

I'm not much of an AMD guy (or at least haven't been for years), but generally the MSI AMD boards are not at all well regarded.

Secondly there's only a couple motherboards that are even generally suggested for the 9590, the Asus Sabertooth and the Crosshair V, and maybe one or two others.

Overall, the vast majority of posts on these forums about the 9590 are about problems with them and not good things. If you just got the system I'd return it and build a Ryzen system, it's significantly faster and doesn't have the issues that the 9590 does. That or return the CPU and get an 8350.

I assume your system is basically running on stock settings. What temps are you seeing with CPU monitor in Windows? The H90 may not be enough cooler for that CPU either.

Core temps:
I am running it stock settings

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Scr.png
    CoreTemp-Scr.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 668
  • CoreTemp-Scr-max.png
    CoreTemp-Scr-max.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 666
what happens when you put it under load (prime95, for example)? What do the temps look like?

That's what I'm considering at this point. Speed ain't **** without stability. I don't need headaches over this stuff. Do either of those processors overclock easily and stable? Although its not a necessity as I usually just run stuff stock.

They both will, they're binned differently that the 9590. The 9590 will have a very high VID and needs that voltage at times. Typically what we see are those minute spikes that cause the random lockups. There are things you could try, disabling the turbo core to start. Then try to set a manual voltage that's lower than the VID.
The 8350 or 8370 will clock as well and probably use less voltage and be easier to maintain.

I'm not sure I can get it to run long enough to check it. :-( very temperamental.

how long have you had the system? Are you still in the return window? If you are I would greatly suggest getting your money back, and putting it towards an AM4 board, R7-1700 CPU, and some DDR4 memory.

In BIOS disable Turbo, C6,C1E, APM and AMD cool and quiet options. Then I would set a manual voltage of 1.47 ish and see what happens for stability

Unfortunately buying all new stuff is not an option for me. I live on a very limited budget and I had purchased these things over time. I've never had major issues like these since I've been building my own pc's since the late 1980's. The most I can do is get a new processor with the return of this one.

Back