• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-9590 stability issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On ambient cooling the Saberkitty will take that Fx-9590 as far as it will go OC wise. For the money it would be my choice due mainly for the fact that we know it works! The M5A97 board you have, if it is the EVO version is a darn good board for something along the lines of a FX 63xx or a stock 83xx. Once you get above on average 4.5 Ghz it just doesn't have the guts to supply enough clean voltage to the processor. As RGone said I have the M5A99X Evo and tried running my 8350 on it, I could not get stable above 4.5 on all 8 "cores" as soon as I switched to my CHV my stability issues were gone. I also have a Sabertooth it is as good of a board as the CHV but without all the bells and whistles. If you are looking for something that you can tweak the living heck out of the Cpu then the CHV is your board, but for the money I feel the Sabertooth is the better buy, if extreme overclocking isn't your goal.

The 9590 doesn't OC on ambient really..... Maybe a little. couple hundred mhz if so lucky.....

It's like the guys with 8350s trying to get over 5ghz. It's just not that easy no matter the board. The darn thing is voltage hungry and just too freaking hot for most people in warm climates.

Great board Secret Combo, you won't be disappointed with it.

SaboKitty for non-hardcore benchers and daily users.

Going hard core extreme benching or need a top of the line board BruglaR had it right in post #15.
The Sabertooth is just as good a board as the others. Matter of fact, I rank it better than the EX9. Had a bad experience with a couple of them.

Thank you so much for the support guys, I learned a lot and got the solution I need. I'm going to get the http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/ Mobo because I want to get every penny out of this CPU.

Unless you plan on using fan expert or some other feature of the CHV there is no difference between the Sabertooth and the CHV.
You will max out before 5.2GHz with any mobo, unless you plan to go over the recommended thermal/voltage limits.

Unless you plan on using fan expert or some other feature of the CHV there is no difference between the Sabertooth and the CHV.
You will max out before 5.2GHz with any mobo, unless you plan to go over the recommended thermal/voltage limits.

Actually there is related to what's in the BIOS as far as options and tweakability is concerned.
The voltage range with several options in the Sabo's BIOS doesn't go nearly as far as the CHV-Z does, gives a max of 1.25v's for the chipset for example but the CHV-Z goes well above that (1.40v's+). The CHV-Z also has a more extensive selection of RAM tweaks/options BUT you really have to know what these do or they are useless.

There are also a few extra options period in the CHV-Z's BIOS but nothing you coudn't do without unless going for a WR.

I've said before the CHV-Z can be overwhelming to some in the BIOS with all of it's tweaking options and believe me, it's got 'em.
Honestly I've had some really good results with my 8320 and Sabo (6500 Mhz +) but if you know what you are doing in a BIOS, the CHV-Z is simply a tweakers dream with the guts to back it up.

Just my thinking...

...thinking that maybe saving about $60.00 on the mobo by going with SaberKitty not CHV-z and taking that $60.00 and putting at least another $100.00 with it for more cooling would bring greater results in the long run.

I gotta think that Secret Combo, is not as nuts as most of us about overclocking. And I don't think he is going to come in sort of meek and mild like Blaylock and then take the RodeoCowboyz oath about his parts and pieces. Hehehe. Been at this for 3.5 years now with FX 8 cores and out of all that have come for help, just 4 or 5 have gone nutso about clocking and then poured the money at the hobby.

That is why my thinking is for the SaberKitty and have some extra to go toward more cooling. Just ole faht me.

RGone...

I find that funny coming from a guy doing 7+ gig LN2 runs on a sub $50 board.

I just went big with cooling and found a trick for extra voltage. Heck I don't even think the bios on that M5A78L even goes past 1.6v ;)

He's like a bumblebee concerning it shoudn't fly - Doesn't know he shoudn't be able to do that so he just does it anyway.

Haha god, this made me laugh. Out load and everything. I couldn't respond cause I was busy at work, but the guys where looking at me like wtf shrimpy??

So I explained it the best I could with a simple cpu-z submission.

http://valid.canardpc.com/40lgmw

It does fly. But only this little bee knows how, what, where, when, and why!

Thanks Johan. In the end, our submissions under 8ghz will be pretty much useless. Hoping you hit the big 8ghz. I'm no where near it. Don't think it's the board and the VRM output. There's 4 VRMs and only two cores running. I'm hitting GHZ walls at 2.076v and that's about the max output I can work with any ways but get the same effect at as little as 1.9500v. Definately not on all 8 cores like TopDog has got pinned there at 7900 some odd mhz. Now that there is a really nice chip IMO.

I still have room in the voltage dept. that's for sure. Not sure if I'm going to get the opportunity to push the FX this weekend. Won't know till I get there TBH. Would be nice though.

Hey everybody, just bumping this thread one more time to somewhat give closure to my stability issues...

First and foremost, the ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 IS NOT compatible with the AMD FX 9590, as it is a 220 W cpu and the sabertooth is only certified for 140 W.

I got the mobo off amazon, and once I realized that the computer was still unstable BECAUSE of the Sabertooth, I had already exceeded the returns period and am short $170 addition dollars...

Compared to a lot of you I am quite a noob at anything hardware related, however, now I have learned the hard way to spend more time researching the different aspects of compatibility with computer components (I.E. cpu wattage in addition to socket size). Please qualify your answers in the future with a little more research please...

Hey everybody, just bumping this thread one more time to somewhat give closure to my stability issues...

First and foremost, the ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 IS NOT compatible with the AMD FX 9590, as it is a 220 W cpu and the sabertooth is only certified for 140 W.

I got the mobo off amazon, and once I realized that the computer was still unstable BECAUSE of the Sabertooth, I had already exceeded the returns period and am short $170 addition dollars...

Compared to a lot of you I am quite a noob at anything hardware related, however, now I have learned the hard way to spend more time researching the different aspects of compatibility with computer components (I.E. cpu wattage in addition to socket size). Please qualify your answers in the future with a little more research please...
If that's what you want to blame it on. :shrug:
There have been many many successful stable OC's on both the R1.0 and R2.0 Sabertooth boards, over 5 gig also. Compatibility is not your issue.

Back