• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6300 Black and Asrock 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0 Overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wombatunder

Registered
Hi All,

After having my i7 920 machine die on me I have moved back to the red team.

I was given an FX 6300 Black Edition along with an Asrock 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0

After upgrading the Bios to 1.50 I decided that I wanted to play with overclocking.
I have a reasonable AMD branded CPU cooler from a retired Phenom system that seems to be doing the job fairly well.

I've, now, seen a bit of info about the internet about how this motherboard isn't really one for overclocking but I'm debating on a Ryzen upgrade so we will see what happens :D

So I've managed to successfully overclock, very basic I know, to 200x20 on all 6 cores with cpu package temps maxing at 60.4 while running prime95 for just over 21 hours. Vcore is set to 1.35v with all other settings at standard for the board.
I manually set all the other settings rather than letting the board decide what they should be.

I set out to overclock without searching too much about my board but was happy when I got to a stable 4.0Ghz. Then I was curious what other people were getting out of these cpus and what vcore and other settings they were using. It's been a very long time since I fiddled with overclocking, the last machine I overclocked was a 486 DX2 66 back when I was a teenager.

after doing some more in depth hunting I discovered that people were getting much faster overclocks on this cpu with similar vcore and that got me wondering why... then I decided to check out my board :( Oh well, it was free.

I understand I'm probably not going to get much more speed out of the FX with this board but I wondered if I should be using a combination of FSB and multiplier overclocking to get better performance from a similar speed or will I be more likely to have power problems with my board if I head that way?

Would my Board or CPU or any of the other settings(at stock) bottleneck my GPU? Asus R9-270 2GB?

CPU Specs are
Asrock 980DE/U3S3 R2.0 Bios version 1.50
FX 6300 Black Edition Clocked at 4.0Ghz on all cores with AMD Branded cooler from a retired Phenom rig
3x 2Gb Kingston PC3-10700 (Triple Channel kit) + 1x 4Gb Cruicial PC3 10700 all clocked at 1333 @ 1.5v CL 9
1x 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD
1x 1Tb WD Caviar Black
1x 1Tb WD Caviar Blue
Asus R9 270 2Gb Graphics Card
Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W 80plus silver PSU

Last edited:
I understand I'm probably not going to get much more speed out of the FX with this board but I wondered if I should be using a combination of FSB and multiplier overclocking to get better performance from a similar speed or will I be more likely to have power problems with my board if I head that way?

Would my Board or CPU or any of the other settings(at stock) bottleneck my GPU? Asus R9-270 2GB?

Again, Welcome Womba! To answer your questions you might be able to get a little more but there is the obvious risk of pushing that poor board too hard. :) At 1.35v your temps are likely to be the cause of any instability if you push much further. Whether you should or not is a question that only you can answer. For me it would be a question of why. Is this for gaming, benchmarking, work, or just for browsing. To be totally honest another 100-200Mhz is not going to net you any benefit for gaming or browsing. You would likely see better gains from overclocking your ram if possible.

I think the R9 270 and the FX6300 are a good match for each other and will not cause any significant bottleneck. Just my opinion.

Again, Welcome Womba! To answer your questions you might be able to get a little more but there is the obvious risk of pushing that poor board too hard. :) At 1.35v your temps are likely to be the cause of any instability if you push much further. Whether you should or not is a question that only you can answer. For me it would be a question of why. Is this for gaming, benchmarking, work, or just for browsing. To be totally honest another 100-200Mhz is not going to net you any benefit for gaming or browsing. You would likely see better gains from overclocking your ram if possible.

I think the R9 270 and the FX6300 are a good match for each other and will not cause any significant bottleneck. Just my opinion.

Hi Blaylock
It's mainly used for gaming and web browsing. I'm debating about swapping out my ram for a Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FBK2/16 16GB (2x8GB) kit because I'm not sure my current ram combo is 100% happy.

General temps when gaming tend to be around high 40's low 50's depending on how cpu intensive the game is. Idle temps are around 24ish degrees.

I discovered 3 "stable" setups while reaching the 4.0Ghz clock

3.8Ghz @ 1.25v @ 45°C max CPU Temp
3.9Ghz @ 1.2875V @ 52.5°C max CPU Temp
4.0Ghz @ 1.35V @ 60.4°C max CPU Temp

I had 4.0Ghz @ 1.3375V run fairly well then had one core cause errors with prime95 at 52 mins. Max temp was 59.3°C.

I would say you have done your due diligence and you have a solid overclock. Pushing for 4.1Ghz will likely require more voltage. Looking at you other stable points I would venture to guess in the 1.4x volt range and you would likely be on the temperature threshold. Where you are at is stable and safe and that's where I would leave it honestly.

As far as upgrading your ram I would only do that if you find a really good deal on them. I picked up a pair of G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4Gb 1866 CL9 for $25 late last year. If you can find a deal like that then maybe consider it but buying new I wouldn't at this time. I would think anything new you put into this system should be considered for your next build, and that means DDR4, not DDR3.

These are just the rambling opinions of an old man who's been in the game about as long as you. My first home computer was a Commodore 64 and my first PC was a Pentium 4. I remember well the 486 days.

I would disagree with you Whitehawk, so would RGone. Here's a link to his all encompassing tips thread. If you click on the temps link you will see after reading all the incredible information there that the max safe socket temp to be 70c and the max safe package temp to be 62c.

Is OP running warm? Yes. Is he "way too high"? No.

BTW Womba, read through that post. I wouldn't expect to understand all of it on your first pass, but it's a great wealth of knowledge RGone has left us.

I would say you have done your due diligence and you have a solid overclock. Pushing for 4.1Ghz will likely require more voltage. Looking at you other stable points I would venture to guess in the 1.4x volt range and you would likely be on the temperature threshold. Where you are at is stable and safe and that's where I would leave it honestly.

As far as upgrading your ram I would only do that if you find a really good deal on them. I picked up a pair of G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4Gb 1866 CL9 for $25 late last year. If you can find a deal like that then maybe consider it but buying new I wouldn't at this time. I would think anything new you put into this system should be considered for your next build, and that means DDR4, not DDR3.

These are just the rambling opinions of an old man who's been in the game about as long as you. My first home computer was a Commodore 64 and my first PC was a Pentium 4. I remember well the 486 days.

I don't know about due dilligence.... I haven't done a proper windows reinstall since I change the hardware. :D I did the windows 10 "Reinstall windows without touching your files" I've been a bit lazy about doing the fresh install. I think windows is possibly having some issues, I think I uninstalled all the old drivers and hardware but I don't think windows is allocating properly to all 6 cores for day to day tasks.

I have had some thoughts about buying a new board, ram and cooler for the cpu because if I don't kill it it will get handed down to the kids. They're still making do with a Q6600 and a GT250.

I was a bit wary about buying some "cheap" ram off of ebay and was planning on buying from a reputable online store I have had dealings with before but I'm in Australia and all this stuff is so expensive over here.

I might revisit when I reinstall windows, a buddy has just bought some ryzen gear and he's going to be upgrading his machine shortly and will do the fresh install then, I might do mine at the same time.

Been following this thread and I am kind of curious: since that chip turbos to 4.1ghz shouldnt that be kind of a given on stock voltages? Or is it the board that might not be up to pushing bigger clocks? I didnt check the board yet but I gather it has 4+1 power phase or something?

It only turbos 1 core.
Heat becomes more of a factor when you run 6 near turbo speed.

Been following this thread and I am kind of curious: since that chip turbos to 4.1ghz shouldnt that be kind of a given on stock voltages? Or is it the board that might not be up to pushing bigger clocks? I didnt check the board yet but I gather it has 4+1 power phase or something?

The board is only a 4+1 and it has an older 770 Northbridge chip. The specs for the Mobo in its little quick installation guide do claim it supports cpu's up to 140W and up to 8 cores though. I don't recall having my FX6300 ever hit 4.1Ghz, even on one core. I would regularly get 3 cores on 3.8Ghz from the stock 3.5Ghz. It was happy to run all 6 cores at 3.8Ghz @ 1.25v though.

The next thing I want to try is overclocing my GPU but I think the lack of proper windows fresh install may be screwing with the driver installation as I occasionally have the AMD Radeon Settings app reset my "Global Overdrive" settings. The only thing I had set in there was the fan speed was set to always be at max.

Where did you get the 4.1Ghz turbo from? I found this and it only mentions 3.8Ghz.

Last edited:
On a good board with good cooling mid 4's ghz are common with those CPUs.

Where did you get the 4.1Ghz turbo from? I found this and it only mentions 3.8Ghz.

Hmmm, that does bear looking into. I wonder if therr are different revisions of this chip. We have seen that before with the Phenom II's. Literally every link I checked (besides yours) listed 4.1ghz turbo. I will look into it more when I get a couple minutes, and possibly back if I find anything interesting.

I tend to use this site as the LAW as it just has a ton of information for each CPU. Notice the 2 different P states. IIRC you can check you P-States in CPU-Z. Been a while but I believe you can save a txt file and open it to display P-States.

TL;DR
pstates.JPG

saving the text file, this is all I could fine relating to P States
# of P-States 7
P-State FID 0x19 - VID 0x0D - IDD 17 (20.50x - 1.387 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x10 - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.350 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x10 - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.350 V)
P-State FID 0xE - VID 0x23 - IDD 9 (15.00x - 1.112 V)
P-State FID 0x9 - VID 0x2A - IDD 7 (12.50x - 1.025 V)
P-State FID 0x4 - VID 0x31 - IDD 6 (10.00x - 0.937 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x3A - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.825 V)

The page I linked, one step back is this

What I gather from that is: If looking at your top line @ 20.50x multi your CPU is set to run @ 1.387v 20.50x200(FSB) = 4.10GHz.

You can use this P-state function to give you an idea What your CPU might need voltage wise at a set speed. It's not all encompassing and YMMV but it's a starting point.

So I've now completed more of my Due Diligence :D.

I've done a fresh install of windows. However I seem to be having problems getting chipset drivers for my board for windows 10 64bit.

The only downloads for windows 10 from Asrock are for the realtek audio driver See Here for the link

If I use AMD's website and select
1. Chipsets
2. AMD 7-Seris Chipsets
3. All 7-Series Chipsets
4. Windows 10 - 64 Bit
I get an old legacy AMD Chipset drivers package from 2015, Rev 15.7.1. Now this is much newer than the Microsoft 2006 drivers that windows has decides to use for my SATA AHCI Controllers, however after installing it my machine is still using the 2006 Microsoft drivers.

My USB3.0 host controller is using Microsoft drivers
same with the standard enhanced PCI to USB Host controller and the Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller.

Not sure what else shout be getting drivers from a chipset package but if someone will let me know I can check them too.

There seems to be more driver downloads from the Asrock site for windows 8.1 but I wasn't sure if I should be installing them.

Can anyone advise what i should be doing, if anything, from here?

The 2015 is the most current. They simply aren't going to write anything newer for this older chipset.

The 2015 is the most current. They simply aren't going to write anything newer for this older chipset.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case but when I install the package from AMD my computer is still telling me that it's using 2006 Microsoft drivers.

Any idea if using the windows 8.1 drivers could cause problems? Or am I best to let sleeping dogs lie?

Back