• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G-Skill DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 4Gb (2x2GB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meatloafwsnx

Registered
I am building a new pc and am shopping around for ram, it seems newegg has this ram for 93 with free shipping, is this good ram for OC'ing? Any alternatives?

J-O_S-H

is it G.SKILL Ripjaws?

If so... YES... they are very good and popular. A lot of people would reccomend them.

Also, being 1600MHz will help you overclock your CPU easier

J-O_S-H

I can't get those links to work...

If you are going for an LGA1156 build... these are very good... they are $125 though but definately worth the extra

Code:
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231279&cm_re=ripjaws-_-20-231-279-_-Product[/url]

They have much better timings as well as still being 1600MHz.

dgb303

Is it me or do those links not work...

Anyways I've got some non-ripjaw G-Skill DDR3 1600 in my setup now and they've been great.

J-O_S-H

Out of the two.. I'd go for the Ripjaws... they look better and have better cooling.

Apart from that I can't really see the difference.

If you can afford it though... the CL7 RIpjaws are awsome.

OP
M

meatloafwsnx

Registered
Yeah they look nice, but unfortunately I am under budget, If i could find some memory used it would be better but I have not had much luck.

OP
M

meatloafwsnx

Registered
considering im running a 1.8ghz with 2 gigs of ram on a 9800 pro, it wont take much to wow me. :D:D:D
building a new pc, maybe ill save the memory last and hope i run into a better deal

OP
M

meatloafwsnx

Registered
Well I have purchased most of it

This is what I have purchased...

COOLER MASTER RC-690
Radeon HD 4890
Phenom 2 x3
Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H
Windows 7 Professional.

This is what I still have to get

Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB
Antec EarthWatts EA650
Ram

OP
M

meatloafwsnx

Registered
Thanks for the help, any alternative suggestions to the HD and Power SUpply I have listed?

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
I'd buy a Western Digital Caviar Black versus the Seagate HD.

RAM doesn't matter nearly as much as it once did from a timings perspective. It'll make a slight difference, but not noticeable on anything except a few benchmarks.