• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.skill trident x and intel i7 4770k issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crypticjoker

hi, this is my first post so thought i would say hello to everyone and thank you ahead of time for helping me out.

i recently upgraded my setup
windows 8.1 pro x64
asus maximus vi hero
intel i7 4770k (currently running stock because i gave up with this issue)
hyper 212 evo
g.skill trident x 16gb(2x8gb) 2133mhz [part# F3-2133C9D-16GTX]
evga geforce 670 ftw
corsair ax850w

originally had my system OC'ed @ 4.3 using 1.190v (i did try bringing voltage up to 1.20 to see if it changed anything and nothing changed with my freezes)

my issue happens everytime i put the ram up to 2133mhz, i've tried oc'ing the cpu and doing this but it seems everytime i use some of my systems resources (i.e video render, ultra gameplay battlefield 4, max settings assassins creed iv) you get the idea... anytime my cpu goes under load it hard freezes where i can't do anything and forced to restart (or if i leave it frozen the system will shut it's self down)

things i've tried
before the new ram i used 8gb(2x4gb) corsair vengeance 1600mhz running the 100% exact settings and my pc had no issues its ever since i've installed the new ram. (i installed this ram again to test if anything has changed with my system and it ran 100% perfect) also since this problem has began i havn't changed ANYTHING on my system setup except the ram.

i've tried using just 1 of the sticks of ram using the same settings and it would still lockup and freeze.

i've ran memtest with no issues, strangely enough i can run prime95 for awhile (however the program crashes after 25 runs)

all of this was using asus XMP profiles (1 and 2) i get the same results. my last resort was a post i found regarding "never use xmp" and i tried my best at basically duplicating all the settings from xmp to set my ram up to 2133mhz which i've never really OC'ed ram before is why i didn't go too crazy with suggestions people were giving because i was blind on what to run. however after setting the manual profile it ran smoother however every game i played or every program i ran would run for about 5mins - 1 hour then the program would crash. this would cause the program to crash twice then on the 3rd run the system would hard freeze.

so i've come to the final conclusion either,
A. my board may be bad
B. i'm doing something wrong (most likely)
C. cpu possibly bad? (have had this cpu for 35 days)

can anyone suggest some ideas on what i can do here? maybe a walk through trying to setup a better OC profile for the ram/cpu to possibly get this running because i have nothing but headaches the past week reading forums, contacting people and i've just about given up on this.

Hi there and welcome to overclockers!

Please follow this guide to oc your cpu. I did it and everything runs perfectly. My system is quite similar to yours so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you as well. Maybe it's because of the voltage, try 1.25v instead and test it.

Hi there and welcome to overclockers!

Please follow this guide to oc your cpu. I did it and everything runs perfectly. My system is quite similar to yours so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you as well. Maybe it's because of the voltage, try 1.25v instead and test it.

i folllowed the guide 100% and moved it up to 1.25 and still nothing. i'm just going to end up RMA'ing the ram and buy some 1600 since i don't have any issue running at 1600. thanks for the help though.

i7-4770K, Asus Maximus VI Formula MB, & G.SKLILL Trident X 2133

hi, this is my first post so thought i would say hello to everyone and thank you ahead of time for helping me out.

i recently upgraded my setup
windows 8.1 pro x64
asus maximus vi hero
intel i7 4770k (currently running stock because i gave up with this issue)
hyper 212 evo
g.skill trident x 16gb(2x8gb) 2133mhz [part# F3-2133C9D-16GTX]
evga geforce 670 ftw
corsair ax850w

originally had my system OC'ed @ 4.3 using 1.190v (i did try bringing voltage up to 1.20 to see if it changed anything and nothing changed with my freezes)

my issue happens everytime i put the ram up to 2133mhz, i've tried oc'ing the cpu and doing this but it seems everytime i use some of my systems resources (i.e video render, ultra gameplay battlefield 4, max settings assassins creed iv) you get the idea... anytime my cpu goes under load it hard freezes where i can't do anything and forced to restart (or if i leave it frozen the system will shut it's self down)

things i've tried
before the new ram i used 8gb(2x4gb) corsair vengeance 1600mhz running the 100% exact settings and my pc had no issues its ever since i've installed the new ram. (i installed this ram again to test if anything has changed with my system and it ran 100% perfect) also since this problem has began i havn't changed ANYTHING on my system setup except the ram.

i've tried using just 1 of the sticks of ram using the same settings and it would still lockup and freeze.

i've ran memtest with no issues, strangely enough i can run prime95 for awhile (however the program crashes after 25 runs)

all of this was using asus XMP profiles (1 and 2) i get the same results. my last resort was a post i found regarding "never use xmp" and i tried my best at basically duplicating all the settings from xmp to set my ram up to 2133mhz which i've never really OC'ed ram before is why i didn't go too crazy with suggestions people were giving because i was blind on what to run. however after setting the manual profile it ran smoother however every game i played or every program i ran would run for about 5mins - 1 hour then the program would crash. this would cause the program to crash twice then on the 3rd run the system would hard freeze.

so i've come to the final conclusion either,
A. my board may be bad
B. i'm doing something wrong (most likely)
C. cpu possibly bad? (have had this cpu for 35 days)

can anyone suggest some ideas on what i can do here? maybe a walk through trying to setup a better OC profile for the ram/cpu to possibly get this running because i have nothing but headaches the past week reading forums, contacting people and i've just about given up on this.

I know this is an old post, but hopefully someone will still see this. I've been fighting this exact same issue for a month, but because I upgraded many things at once, it was more difficult to pinpoint the issue. After searching the internet from one side to the other, I've finally come to a conclusion that Asus has a compatibility issue with this memory, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9D-16GTX. Whenever I try to overclock anything, the memory, the CPU, the GPU, whenever I save the settings in the BIOS and the system is supposed to restart, it kicks on and off a couple of times, which is normal because it's changing the voltages in different parts of the system, but once that's finished, my PC won't POST and I get nothing on the display. Sometimes I can hit the clear CMOS button on the back, and then I'll get something on the screen but it tells me I have an overclocking error and to enter setup.

This is my 2nd Asus motherboard. The first one I had to RMA. I wouldn't POST and got stuck on Q Code 63, or 55 I don't remember, but it was something to do with my memory. Some people recommended checking the pins on my processor, some recommended removing my waterblock from the CPU and reattaching it, none of these worked. I sent my board to Asus, and they sent me a new board and no explanation of what was wrong with it.

If I keep everything in the BIOS in it's default setting and only change the XMP profile to #2, it won't boot. The bad thing is I bought my CPU (Intel i7-4770K), the motherboard (Asus Maximus VI Formula ROG), and the memory (G.SKILL Trident X 2133) all as a package deal through Newegg. I recently went to the Asus website and printed a list of approved vendors for memory that works with this board's XMP profile to overclock, and this memory isn't listed anymore. I called G.SKILL, and they told me to manually enter the voltages, timing, etc for the memory, but I have a feeling that no matter what I do, it's not going to work. I even ordered 2 new memory chips, same exact ones as I currently have so I could rule out the memory being an issue, and it didn't work either. Now I know it's just the memory.

I think I'm going to contact Newegg and tell them to give me full credit towards a replacement. I was just about to go through another overclocking guide and set every single thing up manually, but now I'm thinking it's just going to waste more hours of my life.

Well, I just thought I would let you know it's definitely an incompatibility issue here because I'm having the same exact problems. Now all I need to do is decide if I'm going to just buy new memory, or change out the entire MB and memory, but that depends on if I can convince Newegg to do this.

Have you tried setting the RAM timings and voltage manually instead of relying on the XMP in bios to get it right? If you will install CPU-z and look in the SPD tab you will see what the manufacturer's recommendations are for voltage and timings at various RAM frequencies.

Have you tried giving a small bump to the VCCIO and/or lowering the RAM freq?

I'm going to give that a try tomorrow. Most of the problems got worse and along came new problems after the latest Asus firmware release. Before I had to RMA my MB, I was able to run the XMP profile on my memory and overclock my CPU to 4.2Ghz using the stock CPU cooler. Now, even starting with everything in its default setting, I can't even overclock my CPU keeping the memory with its default settings. I might try rolling back to the firmware I was using when I was able to overclock everything, but on another note, did that have something to do with my motherboard going out and having to RMA it?

I'm going to try using all the settings manually sometime tomorrow, if I have some time. I'love update you on the results.

Back