• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

g0dM@n's IHS Removal Tutorial 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nicely written. I read this article while I was at work. Later when I got home I was working on my system I had my processor in my hand and was staring at the IHS. Thinking about it. Debated to myself. Threw AS-5 on it and put it back in the PC.

Today just wasnt the day. One day I will though .... one day ....

Quailane said:
I seriously have no clue what he was talking about with shaving the motherboard bracket. On my motherboard brackets I just removed the four circular nubs that the HS normally sits on. That gives it the perfect fit and there is no way to screw up. Maybe there are different stock bracket designs? I have only seen one on all my boards though.
CONGRATS ON THE WHITE STARS, MAN!!! I haven't seen you in a while.

Four circular nubs? Maybe I didn't take a closer look... that's on the top side of the mobo bracket? I shaved the bottom of the bracket... I'll get a pic when I have the chance (hoping I remember).

@ OP - Awesome guide man :clap:

In there, you mentioned the issue of going too deep:
g0dM@n said:
(keeping in mind you don't go too deep. That's the only worry with my technique... well, that would be the worry with any technique)

A suggestion if I may:

IHS_Tool.jpg

This thing works awesome, man.

It gives you more to hold on to and limits the depth of the cut so you don't have to worry about shaving off any DSM components under there in the process. I know a few guys who have knicked a couple with no ill effects but I'm not taking the chance personally ;)

You can pick these up a just about any hardware store for under $2 & It uses a standard razor blade.

TechLife said:
@ OP - Awesome guide man :clap:

In there, you mentioned the issue of going too deep:

A suggestion if I may:

IHS_Tool.jpg

This thing works awesome, man.

It gives you more to hold on to and limits the depth of the cut so you don't have to worry about shaving off any DSM components under there in the process. I know a few guys who have knicked a couple with no ill effects but I'm not taking the chance personally ;)

You can pick these up a just about any hardware store for under $2 & It uses a standard razor blade.
I was actually thinking about letting people know the measurements of the depth of where those components lie. I measured it out on my dual-core naked the other day... there is a way to set how deep you go with that? Like... some sort of a guard with a measurement setting? I can't really tell...

Unfortunately, no, there is no adjustment on it as you can see better in the pics below.
The blade just slides in there and it locks shut.

IHS_Tool_Side.jpg
IHS_Tool_Side_Blade.jpg

It limits the cut to 5.5mm max if you bury it nuts deep. If you use just the corner of the blade, roughly 4mm.

It's worked like a charm for me...pops 'em right off! :D
(Not the Opty in my sig obviously but she's getting the blade as soon as my new water is together...)

What did you get for a depth measurement on that DC from the edge of the IHS to the DSMs?

Last edited:
TechLife said:
What did you get for a depth measurement on that DC from the edge of the IHS to the DSMs?

I think it was 40mm by where the ARROW is (directional arrow to show how to mount cpu to socket), 60mm on the other adjacent sides, and the opposite side was something like 80mm (have to check that one)... but for sure the arrow side was 40mm, and the two adjacent sides were 60mm...

g0dM@n said:
CONGRATS ON THE WHITE STARS, MAN!!! I haven't seen you in a while.

Four circular nubs? Maybe I didn't take a closer look... that's on the top side of the mobo bracket? I shaved the bottom of the bracket... I'll get a pic when I have the chance (hoping I remember).

Thanks.

Yeah, it is on the top of the bracket. I didn't know you were talking about the bottom. With cutting off the nubs on the top, it is much easier and they are perfectly spaced as the exact thickness of the IHS. I took them off with a wire cutter and trimmed it flat with an Xacto knife.

Sorry for the thread ressurection but I have a 3.2 P4 D1 and was thinking of popping the IHS, just to get me through until conroe gets affordable. Can I pop the IHS on this cpu?

Nothing wrong with ressurecting... I made this thread for ppl to know how to do this process.

I don't know about INTEL chips, buddy. I know most people lap the IHS rather than pop em off... I dunno if you can. You should try in the INTEL section, or google it. I know lots of p4 IHS's are soldered.

hmmm i want to remove it but but but.... so SCARY! but iono from the pictures it seems like the glue ends very far away from any transistor. or may b u guys just make it look easy, and wen i do it myself i end up killing my cpu @_@

but another issue would b mounting the hs or wb on it. i remember the athlon xp days the cores were really easily cracked due to uneven pressure when putting on the hs. never happened to me. but u never no

First time I saw this tut... My 3200 Winchester is at 2.5 ghz @ 1.575V may have to be operated on, seeing how i get 44C/50C temps with 80F~ ambient. It's under a XP120 with 7V medium panaflo too... Seem worth it?

Also if I were to do this, could I steal the pads off a Athlon XP and use them, or would they be a different height?

neonblingbling said:
First time I saw this tut... My 3200 Winchester is at 2.5 ghz @ 1.575V may have to be operated on, seeing how i get 44C/50C temps with 80F~ ambient. It's under a XP120 with 7V medium panaflo too... Seem worth it?

Also if I were to do this, could I steal the pads off a Athlon XP and use them, or would they be a different height?

If you're not afraid of the risk, then you can do it. As for stealing the pads off of an AXP, that's EXACTLY what I did for my first IHS removal. I took the black pads off of a dead 2700+...

Thanks for the guide godm@n :) this helped me out a lot last night! Good thing I had a spare 3200+ to practice on.. I ended up cutting a little too deep and at an angle and ended up sheering off a couple the transistors :eek: But i got it right on my 170 :) took about 6 minutes or so cause i was being sloooow lol..

SuperDave1685 said:
Thanks for the guide godm@n :) this helped me out a lot last night! Good thing I had a spare 3200+ to practice on.. I ended up cutting a little too deep and at an angle and ended up sheering off a couple the transistors :eek: But i got it right on my 170 :) took about 6 minutes or so cause i was being sloooow lol..
stupid me... i had measured out all edges too and was gonna post a sketch, so that you guys know where the transistors are.

by the way, did you TEST that 3200+? it may still work just to let ya know... sometimes they still work after a bad move. :D

nah.. I haven't... I think I'm just gonna make a keychain out of it anyways.. it was hard enough getting the waterblock tightened correctly on the 170, so I don't feel like going through the hassle of re-setting the waterblock... Not unless you want to borrow it to see if it posts lol, but i'm pretty sure its dead cause I took off 2 transistors cleanly lol... too much force! and I took most of a third... practice makes perfect :D

SuperDave1685 said:
nah.. I haven't... I think I'm just gonna make a keychain out of it anyways.. it was hard enough getting the waterblock tightened correctly on the 170, so I don't feel like going through the hassle of re-setting the waterblock... Not unless you want to borrow it to see if it posts lol, but i'm pretty sure its dead cause I took off 2 transistors cleanly lol... too much force! and I took most of a third... practice makes perfect :D
oh 2 or 3... prolly wont work :(

are the transistors completely destroyed?? maybe it's repairable (unlikely, but could be fun to try)...

SuperDave1685 said:
ehhh... I'm pretty sure they're destroyed lol... the transistors crumbed into little pieces :D

Aren't those resistors, and not transistors?

Anyway, I shaved one of these on an X2 (3200?) once, and it still worked. Gone were my excellent overclocks, though.

aaronjb said:
Aren't those resistors, and not transistors?

Anyway, I shaved one of these on an X2 (3200?) once, and it still worked. Gone were my excellent overclocks, though.
actually, i believe that are transistors... :D

could be a resistor across a specific trace iirc, but they should be transistors... varying elements.

Back