• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

g0dM@n's IHS Removal Tutorial 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
g0dM@n said:
actually, i believe that are transistors... :D

could be a resistor across a specific trace iirc, but they should be transistors... varying elements.

Gotcha. I've never picked up a soldering iron in my life. :)

-1 internet points for me.

aaronjb said:
Gotcha. I've never picked up a soldering iron in my life. :)

-1 internet points for me.
pick one up... it's fun!!! you can nail one at RadioShack with some free solder for roughly $8... that's where i bought my 1st one a long time ago. I now use a soldering station that cost me $100, but in all honesty it wasn't necessary... i just like them cuz i used the soldering stations at my old job.

I would think that the floss idea could be risky if it catches on one of the transistors. Just a though. I have removed a few ihs's off of some 478 p4's with a utility knife. They're easy as pie to do. Good way to start. I am about to remove the ihs off my buddies new 3800 d/c 939. I will post any change in overclocking and heat results.

Hurray second post.

P-Trainenator said:
I would think that the floss idea could be risky if it catches on one of the transistors. Just a though. I have removed a few ihs's off of some 478 p4's with a utility knife. They're easy as pie to do. Good way to start. I am about to remove the ihs off my buddies new 3800 d/c 939. I will post any change in overclocking and heat results.

Hurray second post.
can't wait to see the results...

and...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Does anyone know if we can remove the IHS on the Phenom II chips and if so... is it worth doing?

Not sure but you cause me to look this one up I guess :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222040

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209279

ghost all ready been there long ago obviously, just thought I'd throw it up.

That's i7... not PhII.

But I gotta say... you just made me waste almost an hour of my time reading those posts. Man I wish I had cash!! I would have picked up an i7 and tried that (a couple of yrs ago I would have had the $$ to do it).

Hopefully the economy will kick back and I'll be playing with more toys!!

In the meantime... has anyone tried to pop off the PhII IHS?

Back