• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G3258 oc/voltage problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shatter

Hey!

Yay, my first post as i just finished registering, although i've been surfing here many times for info and other stuff :)

Anyway to get to the problem at hand, i just got my hands on G3258 processor to see what i can squeeze out of it and it seems the whole chip is bad since the highest stable oc is 4.1Ghz/1.255v i could get. im using gigabyte's z97p-d3 mobo so should be more than enough for this cpu.

Now the actual problem is that if i increase the core voltage over 1.3v the pc won't even post let alone boot up. it powers up for say 3 seconds and then shuts off which results into a endless loop. boots with 1.300v but if i set 1.301 or over it bugs out.. core speed doesn't affect it, does this even at stock clocks if i raise it over 1.3v.

First thing that came to my mind is my crappy corsair vs450 psu which i salvaged from my previous build and haven't had the inspiration to upgrade it yet. could it somehow be that the psu can't feed over 1.3v to cpu and crashes which causes the bootloop? yeah, it does sound ridiculous, but im out of ideas what else can cause this, any ideas?

Thanks!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
An ancient VS450, if in good shape, should easily power that CPU (what else is it powering?). Have you updated the BIOS on that board to the latest version?

OP
S

Shatter

An ancient VS450, if in good shape, should easily power that CPU (what else is it powering?). Have you updated the BIOS on that board to the latest version?

No power hungry stuff hooked, powering only cpu (53w)and gpu (60w) aside from basics like mouse/keyboard, dvd drive etc.

Also latest bios flashed naturally.

hotrod717

I agree with Funsoul. Not knowing you or what you know, it could be as simple as you not adjusting vrin. What voltages are you adjusting. Adjusting core voltage alone on a 3258 isn't going to get you to max oc.