• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7N400L Bios Update Issue (HELP!!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dropline

I am running an AMD-XP2500+(Barton-Locked) on a Giga-Byte GA-7N400L.

This motherboard came with the F1 Bios on it and does not seem to enable DualChannel DDR with F1... if I update to anything else the BIOS reports high temps. I did read from the Giga-Byte boards that this is normal.

Is there anyone else using this combonation of CPU/MB?

This is not Overclocked at all.... not yet. Stock cooler still.

With F1 MotherBoard Monitor shows
CPU=45c Case=28c

with F5(Or anything from F2-F5)
CPU=64c Case=29c

Also I let it run for almost 2 days Idle at 45c and the Heatsink is Warm but barely. IF I stop the fan the Heat goes up... then when I let it go it lowers again, so I do know the Heatsink is working.

Thanks,
Drops

3sixes

Dropline,
Everything is cool, dont worry:)

Couple things you want to do:
The cpu socket on these boards are rotated 90 degrees;) and many did not notice this and put their hsf on backwards:eek: so check that it is on correctly.

You may want to consider pulling the thermal pad from the hs, cleaning it off and replacing with some thermal paste, im seeing many reporting 3-7degree drops with as5.

You should also have a look at this gigabyte new owners guide
Gigabyte New Owners FAQ

Good Luck

3sixes -aka- dafanman:cool:

OP
D

Dropline

so should I stay at F1 or jump to F5? I dont like to see my temp at 63c Idle... I can imagine what its going to say when I am Gaming for 4-12hrs. :(

Also with the F1 Bios, it never says "Dual Channel DDR Enabled", does it actually work with F1 and not tell you?

3sixes

Dropline,
Again the first thing I would do is check that the hsf is on properly.

After that, what you decide to do about bios/temps is up to you, however dont let that f1 bios give you a false sense of security, most users are running anywhere from lets say high 40's to high 50's, my load/gaming temps never get above 55c, but then again I have alot of fans, and dryer hose mod.

If your ram is in the orange slots, 1&3 or whatever your board specifies you are running dual channel, you can get cpu-z and look under the mem tab it reports your mem status.

OP
D

Dropline

Yes, HS/F is on the proper way, and the RAM is in the Orange slots. I am going to go with a better HS/F then the Stock AMD.

Thanks for the info.

Also any input on a Hmm.. Cheeper high end HS? I know cheep and High End don't go together.. just looking for a fwe steps up from the AMD Retail Cooler.

Thanks.
Tom(Dropline)

3sixes

Dropline,
Best I can tell you on the hs is to go to newegg, use their product selection and look at all of the coolers for socket amd, make sure and look for the ones for the speed at which you expect to run your processor.

Here is a link to a heatsink round up, that may give you some ideas.

Just keep in mind that you have a limited space to work with and
you cannot get one that requires mounting holes.http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/

OP
D

Dropline

Thanks, I have been looking over the reviews and wish I could mount a "ThermalRight SP-97" in there...

Oh well.

Also looking up information on Power Supplies, I did not notice my old tired one is only 300w :( but thats for another Forum.

OP
D

Dropline

I noticed you are using the "HHC-001" on your rig.

How do you like it? GF looking for a last X-Mass gift and I was thinking about ordering that.

Also if that fits in your Pro Board... should it fit in mine?

3sixes

Dropline,
Personally Im finding it to be quite good.
When I orderd my xp1700 I decided to order another hsf to go with it, wanted something diff, liked the heatpipe tech idea, and the rated rpm's.

First impression, wow this thing is heavy!!
I polished the bottom, just out of habit, modded the fan for extra rpm's, now at 7031rpms:D

The highest ive ever seen this xp1700 o/c to 11x200 2.2ghz w 1.85v is 55c, now that ive done the dryer hose mod, temps are 37-40c.

Some on newegg complained about fan noise, my tower sits beside the desk, with cover on, I cant hear it.

The hs fits well, has clearance above the ram slot, didnt have to dodge any caps, or any modding to make it fit.

OP
D

Dropline

Thanks.. I think I will go with that.

I was sorta worried about mounting it in my tower case, glad you said thats where yours is mounted.

I don't mind the Fan's running.. I have 3 PCs next to each other. I am mostly Gaming so I just turn the Volume up. I also find it a little relaxing almost "White Noise" to me. (But do look forward to one Day having water Silence)

I also thought I had a PS picked out till Is tarted reading those threads from you. I think I will think about it more. I sorta wanted a Moded PS but now I think I will Mod it myself later and just go with something that is good rated and has at least 2 fans.

Thanks Again..

I am sure I will have another Question or 3 before I am done. I really like this Forum and see me visiting here for a long time to come. I already have lots of Ideas from Trolling the past week or so here. :)

3sixes

Dropline,
Hey no probem, dont mind abit.
On the psu you def want substance over flash;)

If you need anything else, just holla:cool:

OP
D

Dropline

what do you think about the "Antec True Power 430 Watt Power Supply" ?

I can buy it local for $99 more than I wanted to spend on a PS, but with the Mod Idea I have in the back of my head it will fit in nice.

one thing I am not sure of is the "Further dedicated Fan Only power connectors allow TruePower power supplies to control the speed of case fans, too." I am not really sure I would want my Fans to slow down... but then again... my case can mount many Fans.. and a few more that would only kick in when things heat up wouldn't be too bad.

3sixes

I will have to get back to you on the antec, couple days, bout to go out of town.

Im not a fan of fan controll, when they fire up i want them running full speed, and not dependant on a controller be it software or hardware.

Ive got a 120mm modded front, 120mm modded side intakes, double 80mm stack heigth chimney blowhole fan up top(only one fan in the assembley though) a 80 piggybacked to the back of the psu, been running that way for years. Nah i dont want fan controll, i want fans that run, besides with the tower by the desk sitting on a custom stand to accomodate the external psu, if i turn everything off in the room, i can barely hear it.

OP
D

Dropline

Ok, I think I just get the Antec under that one.. Seems to be all same stats but no Fan controls. and $25 less.

Thanks again for all your help and have fun where ever your going.

3sixes

xmas trip to the inlaws sigh....................:( :( :( :( :(

Catch ya later
3sixes -aka- dafanman:D

OP
D

Dropline

I found my bigest heat issue.. I had another PC I was working on that was next to it but pulled out a bit.. the Exhaust fan on the others PSU was at the same spot I suck air in for the CPU. :(

Still not great Temps.. but better. :)
With F1 MotherBoard Monitor shows
CPU=42c Case=25c
(Stock AMD Heatsink still)

This is also with adding a new Fan.

OP
D

Dropline

Update with load.
CPU=55(drops to 54 then back to 55) Case=31. (1hr Prime95)

Is there any point on clocking how long it takes to get back to Idle Temps? Seems that should be a good judge of HS/Fan and Case circulation.

OP
D

Dropline

Problem was Thermal Pad. I also Swapped out with my "Other" system that had Same MB/CPU but the "AMD OEM Copper Core heatsink". I remounted the HS on the 1st board with Some AS3 and it dropped right down to where it should be 46/35 on that system now and it has been folding since yesterday morning.

Also the "Heat Pad" they sold me at the CPU shop had Melted and Dripped onto the CPU so had a little bit of a cleanup there.

See Sig for MY system's Current OC and Temps.

Now to learn Memmory timings and push the FSB 200+.. lol.. maybe when new HS/Fan gets here I never ordered.