• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-8IRXP Problems!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jhubbard

After O/Cing my system at all it is unstable for the first 2 minutes, after it warms up, I can go from my default 2.2Ghz all the way to 2.8Ghz no problem. I tried the voltage mod, and it still is unstable in windows for 2 minutes. Even unmoded, I get windows errors and GPF's when the system has first been turned on. I tried a different board, but it is also unstable for the first couple of mintues too. What could cause this?

My system

Intel 2.2 Malay
AVC Sunflower H/S
GA-8IRXP
Leadtek GF4 Ti4600
Maxtor ATA/133 Raid 0
Kingmax DDR 333 256Meg RAM
Plextor 24x10x40

jdmcnudgent

welcome to the forums.:D first of all, what bios are you running? you should use the f6 if you are not already. next, what are you running your memory at? for higher overclocks, you need to set it down to 2.0 or 200, and as your fsb goes up, so does your memory. third, i would recommend that you use a conductive pen, and either put it on the socket, or put it on the chip itself. it is very tricky to wrap 4 pins on the bottom of the cpu, to set default of 1.85, that is why i recommend doing it this way. with this mod done, it fixes the reboot problem by leaving the cpu default v core in the bios, ie: if you have it set to anything but default in the bios, and you need to restart your machine, it will hang and you will have to shut off for 10 seconds, and then turn back on. depending on temps, at 137 fsb, it would be 3014, and you should be able to do that.:D

phatjedi

Registered
Also, what bios are you using? I would recomend the F6.
This board totally rocks!!! I have my 1.8 @ 2.4 on stock voltage.
I have not tried any further because that was my goal.
Arkua 8568 cooler, Samsung pc 2700 memory.
Set the divider to pl16 and put it up at 140 fsb and runs stable.
Ran every bench mark, played all my games and it has not missed a beat.

No if I can sell my tualatin chip, Gigabyte motherboard
GA-60 XET and the memory that is on it, I can build another PC using my GA-8SRX.

OP
J

jhubbard

I FIXED IT!

It was the Kingmaxx DDR333 memory causing my stability issues! A stick of Samsung DDR333 works perfectly now in my system.

rbbnet

Registered
JHubbard,
Glad to hear you you found your problem. How does your RAID 0 perform with the Maxtors? I've read tons of reviews but none have ever really compared ATA133 RAID to ATA100 RAID. I was just wondering if there's any real difference between the two. From what I've read it would appear most people would get better performance out of two 8Mb cache harddrives even if they were only ATA100...you got any thoughts on this?

DuWellin

Registered
me too

I have the exact same problem as the original poster... the difference is, i'm Currently using Samsung(the good kind) PC2700 DDR Ram...

This started happening when I took off my factory heatsink fan and installed an alpha heatsink instead..

It does it with both Bios revision 6 and 7a...

I got a Northwood 1.6a btw..

Tried to put it into multiple slots too...

Btw, the Shutdown problem was FIXED when i flashed to the 7a BIOS, and remains FIXED even after going back to Bios version 6.

My brother who has the exact same mobo/cpu isn't so lucky though..

rbbnet

Registered
Don't take this as gospel but......
one of the RAM reviews out there said that the Samsung ram is definitely super ram.....after it has been burned in. So the cause of your problem may be ram related, especially if it does fine after it has warmed up. Simply go through all the big sites....anand's, Tom's, etc and find the review that test PC2700 from Corsair, Samsung, OCZ.... I think you may find your answer.