• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-EP45-EXTREME not pleased with OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artas1984

GA-EP45-EXTREME, BIOS F8
E8400, Wolfdale, Stepping A
Enermax Modu82+ 625W
Thermalright Silver Arrow TY-140 Push/Pull
2X2 Gb Hyper-X DDR2 1066 MHz

So, i am not pleased with OC on this motherboard. The max i can get is 4300 MHz.
This is both with 8X and 9X multi.
9X 478 MHz (1.45 V) or 8X 538 MHz (1.45V)
RAM FSB never exceeds 533 MHz.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/511/e84004300mhzoc.jpg

Although idle i get only 30 degree Celsius at 4300 MHz on 1.45V, i expected more performance out of this motherboard. I mean this is supposed to be the top end S775 motherboard for overclocking and paired with such a cooler it comes only moderately to it's limits.. Any tips? I want a stable 4500 MHz.

I have heard people are getting 4800 MHz with the setup i have, although rumors are rumors and i don't trust them, so i need someone to back it up.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
We need some more BIOS settings. What MCH strap are you using? MCH voltage? CPU PLL? FSB Term? System Memory Multiplier?

You'll want t use the 9x CPU multiplier. If you use the 8x and have to go over 533 FSB then your RAM will be overclocked. I don't remember having a System Memory Multiplier on my EP45-UD3P that allowed the RAM to run lower than the FSB.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
You're not pleased w/ a 1.3GHz overclock from a E8400, and blaming the board because you can't hit your goal of 4.5GHz stable? You're kidding right?

hank123

Ref voltages are key. I was able to run my e8500 at 4.6Ghz daily without issue. It took me a bit of time to figure this board out. Really its a good board. I know i have the DDR3 ver but I think ur board is a little better.

Give us all your settings within the bios.

OP
A

Artas1984

We need some more BIOS settings. What MCH strap are you using? MCH voltage? CPU PLL? FSB Term? System Memory Multiplier?

But does not MCH strap go automatically when i raise the FSB?
What MCH voltage should i be using?
And how it it important anyway?

The CPU termination voltage is 1,5 V. As long as it is higher than vcore, i have nothing to fear?

OP
A

Artas1984

Settings. Need them.

DEFAULT SETTINGS - latency timings, voltages and so on. Except the increased vcore to 1,45 V. Standart OC mode selected (recommended).

With 9X multi and 470 MHz FSB RAM multi is 2,4.
With 8X and 538 MHz FSB RAM multi is 2 .
Motherboard supports RAM OC from 1066 to 1333 MHz - though i am not planing on RAM OC.

xoke

Code:

Robust Graphics Booster [AUTO]
CPU Clock Ratio[9X]
Fine CPU Clock Ratio [XXXXX]

**********Clock Chip Control*************************

CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) [400]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100]
C.I.A 2 [Cruise]

*********Advanced Clock Control**********************

CPU Clock Drive [XXXXX]
PCI Express Clock Drive [XXXXX]
CPU Clock Skew [XXXXX]
MCH Clock Skew [XXXXX]

**********DRAM Performance Control***********

Performance Enhance [Turbo]
(G) MCH Frequency Latch [333]
System Memory Multiplier [2.00B]
Memory Frequency [800]
DRAM Timing Selectable [XXXXX]

CAS Latency Time [5]
tRCD [5]
tRP [5]
tRAS [15]

*******Advanced Timing Control***********

tRRD [XXXXX]
tWTR [XXXXX]
tWR [XXXXX]
tRFC [XXXXX]
tRTP [XXXXX]
Command Rate (cmd) [XXXXX]

***********Motherboard Voltage Control*******

Load-Line Calibration [Disabled]
CPU Vcore [1.45]
CPU Termination [1.4]
CPU PLL [1.5]
CPU Reference [0.760]

MCH Core [1.25]
MCH Reference [.760]
MCH/DRAM Refernce [.900]
ICH I/O [1.5]
ICH Core [1.1]

DRAM Voltage [2.0]
DRAM Termination [.90]
Channel A Ref [.90]
Channel B Ref [.90]

*****************Advanced BIOS Features*********

CPU Multithreading [XXXXX]
Limit CPUID Max to 3 [XXXXX]
No-Execute memory Protect [XXXXX]
CPU Enhance Halt (CIE) [XXXXX]
C2/C2E State Support [XXXXX]
C4/C4E State Support [XXXXX]
CPU Thermal Monitor [XXXXX]
CPU EIST Function [XXXXX]
Virtualization Technology [XXXXX]

OP
A

Artas1984

Before posting anything, an important question - does overclocking work with Gigabyte P45 dynamic energy saving features such as and C2/C2E & C4/C4E and EIST?

OP
A

Artas1984

Before posting anything, an important question - does overclocking work with Gigabyte P45 dynamic energy saving features such as and C2/C2E & C4/C4E and EIST?

Ok time to bump this thread. I mean - seriously this should not be a difficult question to anyone who knows things in motherboards business..

Badbonji

Yes, but they may cause the system to become unstable and limit your overclock. I would turn them off until you are at your goal, then see if it is still stable with them on, seeing as they reduce power consumption when the full oc is not needed.

OP
A

Artas1984

Ok, the problem is that when i turn those DES features on in bios, overclock CPU just to 3,6 GHz and restart PC - overclock is gone... I can overclock to 4,3 GHz, but can not do even 3,6 GHz if i turn those on. Only C1/C1E and EIST work with OC. What follows out of this? Or perhaps i needed to turn something in software before enabling DES features in bios?

ccope80

I have the same mobo. Im not entirely sure what the definitions for all the voltages are in the bios. If someone could help me out. im not used to these settings. I have come from OCing a 965p express gigabyte board and that was straight. Or if anyone could point me to somegood read on the p45 and bios setting. that would be great. If anyone has questions please ask. thanks