• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gabe Newell: 16 Days to Half-Life 2 Completion!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PowerK

Registered
http://hl2world.com/index.php
Gabe Right now we are looking at our bug numbers. Each day you fix some bugs and you find some new bugs. The net number tells you how quickly you will get to zero.

At our current rate of find/fix bugs, we'll be down to zero bugs in 16 days.
This sounds like a good sign of it coming soon. :)

But... as he said similar things about this time last year, I'll believe it when I see it on the shelves.

DMac

Just saw that article. You would think Valve could see all the excitement about Doom 3's upcoming release. They'd probably like to get HL2 out there to counter this.

Tw00sh

If they are smart, they will wait till around Oct-Nov time frame and bank on the holiday spenders.

If they release too close to the Doom3 release, they will loose potential buyers as not everyone can afford to go out and buy both right away.

Shawn123456

YES!! im so excited!! its finally coming out soon..for the ppl who watch g4TechTV u know the G4oria thing? the awards show on Aug 6..they said that they will be showing off Hl2 there..does that mean it will be out by then?

fl0w

Yeah, I think even if they finish the game soon, they arent going to release it untill the doom3 buzz is over, or atleast well underway. I know I'm gonna buy the one that comes out first, and beat it to a bloody pulp. Only when I'm done with the first game am I gonna buy the second.

Tatuya

Shawn123456 said:
YES!! im so excited!! its finally coming out soon..for the ppl who watch g4TechTV u know the G4oria thing? the awards show on Aug 6..they said that they will be showing off Hl2 there..does that mean it will be out by then?
No because it usually takes around a month to just package and manufacture the games as well as ship them out, etc. Valve probably gave/will give them an early version.
Tw00sh said:
If they are smart, they will wait till around Oct-Nov time frame and bank on the holiday spenders.

If they release too close to the Doom3 release, they will loose potential buyers as not everyone can afford to go out and buy both right away.

One could argue that the opposite could happen as well. Another game could take alot of hype away and decrease sales since a lot of games are overlooked at holiday time because of the mass amount of games released. One such game that could steal customers could be GTA San Andreas.

Agent_Mull

I think this is a good sign. I think valve and gabe have learned to shut their mouths unless they can back up their claims. I just hope i can download my copy off of steam, and send in my Free HL2 Coupon at the same time for the Boxed version.

Flashfx2

Hey, maybe september 30th will be the release date after all :rolleyes:

It would be great if it is true, but after last years fiasco I won't be holding my breath.

bojangles

Flashfx2 said:
Hey, maybe september 30th will be the release date after all :rolleyes:

It would be great if it is true, but after last years fiasco I won't be holding my breath.
Ya, HL2 takes "I'll believe it when I see it" to a new level. I will be halfway through the game before I am safely convinced that it is in fact HL2.

Vio1

When I buy HL2 and bring it home...I think I'll stare at the CD case for a few hours in disbelief, pinching my are in 3 minute intervals, until it sinks in that the game is infact finished and in my possession. At that point I will madly install it and have a few sleepless nights ahead of me!

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Vio1 said:
When I buy HL2 and bring it home...I think I'll stare at the CD case for a few hours in disbelief, pinching my are in 3 minute intervals, until it sinks in that the game is infact finished and in my possession. At that point I will madly install it and have a few sleepless nights ahead of me!

As you steadily place that oh so precious cd in your drive, and give the cdrom a little nudge to close it, you hear the the cd start to spin. With your eyes glazed from not blinking, watching the screen, anxiously awaiting the "Install Half Life 2" option screen appear, you are instead greeting with a Windows c++ runtime compile error :rolleyes:

You then pick up the phone and frantically dial the Valve tech support with your sweaty fingers, it feels like the room is on fire! You dial the number, the phone begins to ring 3 times, on the 4th ring an recorded voice answers the phone "Thank you for calling Valve Tech support. We are aware that many if not all people who purchased Half life 2 are experiencing run time errors when installing the game. We are working on this problem and we we should have a fix by October of 2006, thank you very much for your patients." :mad:

Last edited:

Vio1

truthfully, i really hope it wont come to that... That would be a total blow up in there face. I for one am optimistic and therefore forsee a near flawless game released.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Vio1 said:
truthfully, i really hope it wont come to that... That would be a total blow up in there face. I for one am optimistic and therefore forsee a near flawless game released.

Yeah I wouldn't want to see that either, but its just the way things have been going that I wouldn't put anything past them.