• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gain Ultra 160/15K over IDE Raid 7,200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hiergesell

Main uses of sytem are:

Internet Browsing
Multimedia (no gaming)
Massive text conversion
Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
Photoshop and Fireworks

Considering a setup with a Seagate 15K Ultra 160 18gig for applications with an IDE Raid 0+1 for files. Am I getting too cute here looking for extra performance or will this system have definite performance advantages? Also, should I use a better configuration?

System is AMD XP 1800, Win2000, 256ddr

mugambo

Normally, I would say that you are getting too cute; however, based on what you are showing for your applications, maybe not. I am assuming that you are using this setup either professionally or semi-professionally. Is that true?

If this is true, then I use LOTS of 15K scsi 160 drives professionally for database work and wouldn't use much else. For the RAID you are talking about, much is dependent on the controller you choose. I use a lot of RAID 5, 0+1, and 1. It's expensive, but it is still a far better bang for buck deal (in my opinion) than the Sun servers which we have.

Dave

hiergesell said:
Main uses of sytem are:

Internet Browsing
Multimedia (no gaming)
Massive text conversion
Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
Photoshop and Fireworks

Considering a setup with a Seagate 15K Ultra 160 18gig for applications with an IDE Raid 0+1 for files. Am I getting too cute here looking for extra performance or will this system have definite performance advantages? Also, should I use a better configuration?

System is AMD XP 1800, Win2000, 256ddr

Generally I believe the faster IDE are the fastest for the money but U160 15k drives seem to offer about 30% more speed in general. They cost a lot more per megabyte but my new 36Z15 18 gig IBM was reasonable. $129 with a free U160 card and free shipping. It tests good and the 3.9 ms seek times are real nice.
If you use the scsi for OS use and a fast big IDE drive for storage it would be nice.