• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game stuttering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

Almost all my games stutter, except the ones that don't require really any power to run, like very simple games such as Binding of Isaac. The stutter is not so bad, and is bearable, thats why I've been dealing with it for... years? I don't remember not having micro stutter every few seconds or minutes.
The stutter is signifanctly worse in games that I have less FPS in and is bearly noticable in well optimised games such as League of Legends, Witcher 3, Overwatch etc. These run ok and I don't mind the stutter every (few mins)?

The problem comes when running games such as rust, pubg etc Even though I get sorta high fps like 90? I still stutter like hell in those. Like every couple of seconds constantly.

The stutter I can describe as a whole freeze of the screen for 0.3 seconds (or less?).

To me - I have tried everything... I even changed the graphics card to 1080ti, cpu cooler, reinstalled windows etc.

All drivers are perfectly up to date, same as windows updates, I have no background bull**** running except my logitech gaming software for my g502 mouse keybinds, bitdefender, msi afterburner, realtek hd audio manager.

I have the last hope in you guys! Please help! My specs are in the signature...

Are you using Fast Sync by any chance ? it causes micro-stuttering every time you dip below your refresh rate.

Temp.jpg

I am using application settings directly through the game, therefore they should ignore the nvidia global settings, correct?

No? Depends on the setting though.

Are you seeing hdd activity when the stutters happen?

I only have SSD’s. Any suggestions where and how I can check this ssd activity youre talking about?

HDD/SSD activity... same thing. My point is to check for storage activity!!

It is checked the same way you check HDD activity bud, with the light on the case. ;)

You can also consider running task manager and when it happens alt-tab to it and see if there are any spikes. A couple of ways to skin this cat. ;)

So I've tested this for about 30 minutes. There is some disk activity on the disk that the game is running on, but it never really reaches 5%. There were some occassions that when the game experienced a slightly bigger stutter, the disk did have that 5% or w/e spike. HOWEVER, there were the micro stutters while the disk was at 0% activity so I don't think this is it unforunately :/

Btw thanks for your help!

So I've tested this for about 30 minutes. There is some disk activity on the disk that the game is running on, but it never really reaches 5%. There were some occassions that when the game experienced a slightly bigger stutter, the disk did have that 5% or w/e spike. HOWEVER, there were the micro stutters while the disk was at 0% activity so I don't think this is it unforunately :/

Btw thanks for your help!

Did you change the setting Kenrou pointed out?

I did not have that enabled. I had “whatever application uses” I also tried normal vsync. Same results for all

I have recently just swapped my graphics card and so I believe completely new drivers were installed for that. I did have the same exact problem before getting the card. Or woould a clean install still help?

If you didn't actually check "clean install" when doing that any potential issues with the driver would persist.

'Clean install' only removes settings from within NVCP. That is all.

DDU or a similar app will clean all registry remnants and other leftoever bits.

I will try this DDU program you're talking about. Fingers crossed!

On another note, I have completely disabled disk pagefile, but I didn't notice any difference I don't think.

So I've uninstalled my drivers in safe mode using DDU. Then after about 40 seconds into rebooting, windows automatically installed some form of nvidia drivers. I then downloaded the newest drivers for my card from the official site, and performed a clean install.

I will check out how it works now and let you know!

Right, so the drivers are clean and the stutter in PubG still persists. Has anyone else got the game that could verify if they get micro stutter or not?

I have the game, and last I tried a couple nights ago, no microstuttering.

PUBG is an online game... does this happen in SP titles where the web isn't required?

Just tried on Witcher 3(offline game of course) and I do get the micro stutter where the game freezes, even though the game runs smooth and high fps, I do the get ocasssional stutter, sadly.

Really starting to worry now.

You mean taking out the cmos battery so it resets it?

Update: I tried with 2 different ram sticks at a time with no positive results. I think it would be a good idea to try running games on my other SSD?

Last edited:
Back