• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game stuttering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any chance your ISP is throttling your speeds? Or just an issue with the modem, like settings or something?

How could the internet affect FPS in any way? I mean my FPS drops and when it does I get the stutter.. Unless you are thinking backwards like I did, that the stutter causes the fps drop and not the other way around. Hmmmm, what do you mean thorttling my speeds could you expand on that and any way I can check?

I've tried different jitter tests and trace routes to different servers. All same fine without an error, I get perfect ping in all my games.

I don't know who your ISP is or any service details, obviously, but I was wondering if extended moderate to high bandwidth usage triggers the ISP's servers or the modem to slow traffic from the IP. For the modem, some modems have settings that allow prioritizing traffic for certain programs, like games. Useful if your internet connection is like mine-5 Mbps DSL. It doesn't take much background traffic to to start screwing with my gaming.

I don't know if this would help or offer any insight, but I used TCP Optimizer with XP and early versions of Windows 7 with results ranging from good to nothing noticeable. With all the bases we're covering on your problem I thought it might be worthwhile to look upstream from your computer. Process of elimination, if nothing else.

TCP Optimizer here https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Have you tried doing some 3D benchmarks like 3DMark or Superposition?

I don't know who your ISP is or any service details, obviously, but I was wondering if extended moderate to high bandwidth usage triggers the ISP's servers or the modem to slow traffic from the IP. For the modem, some modems have settings that allow prioritizing traffic for certain programs, like games. Useful if your internet connection is like mine-5 Mbps DSL. It doesn't take much background traffic to to start screwing with my gaming.

I don't know if this would help or offer any insight, but I used TCP Optimizer with XP and early versions of Windows 7 with results ranging from good to nothing noticeable. With all the bases we're covering on your problem I thought it might be worthwhile to look upstream from your computer. Process of elimination, if nothing else.

TCP Optimizer here https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

My internet is 70mb download and 20 upload. I really doubt this will do anything but I have nothing left to try.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Have you tried doing some 3D benchmarks like 3DMark or Superposition?

No, what are they and what are they for? I’ll look into it, thanks

They're 3D benchmarks, if your setup runs them just fine then maybe it's something you can fix

They're 3D benchmarks, if your setup runs them just fine then maybe it's something you can fix

Ohh they're just liek heaven benchmark etc. aren't they? I've ran them, and I get the same stutter in them as in games. So yeah, it aint the internet problem :p

I'm really just wondering if a normal stutter here and there, like other users see as normal, you are seeing as a problem?

The vid you posted earlier didn't look like it was an issue. I am also getting an occasional 'hitch' in the games you mention, but no constant stuttering.

I'm really just wondering if a normal stutter here and there, like other users see as normal, you are seeing as a problem?

The vid you posted earlier didn't look like it was an issue. I am also getting an occasional 'hitch' in the games you mention, but no constant stuttering.

I get what you mean, and I was wandering the same thing before, but in the video you can't see as much as if you're playing it. Also, it does actually interrupt gameplay when I start shooting and get that stutter it puts me off. There's no way that if people play this game competitively get this crap. With my specs that I payed thousands of pounds for I should replicate the almost 'perfect experience', not a stutter every 30-40 seconds, you get me?

Also, I KNOW 100% IT IS A PROBLEM, because 3 years ago in CS:GO I had 0 stutter, now I get it and it isn't me making this up I swear.

I don't understand how you can change your entire PC and still have the issue......... doesn't make much sense.

If you change the entire hardware, it would point at software no ? Have you updated the EVO firmware by any chance, i remember older versions having issues (notably the 840), you had to use Samsung Magician to fix it.

Also, have we troubleshooted GPU drivers (try installing older ones to see if the stutter is still there) ? Did you reset the games options when you changed everything ? some games make a list of your hardware and ask if you want to change to default values when you change something (most notably World of Warcraft and OpenGL games), noticed anything different there ?

TL;DR all of it, the last few pages only, but anyone else on your internet? if no disregard. But it might still be your internet, but not the internet itself, just the pages you have opened especially if you have an auto-refresh enabled to stay updated on something. It could also be any pages you have opened have auto-update in the coding and even when minimized are still trying to update, which woudl interrupt CPU usage just enough to cause a stutter. and if it's something that happens regularly then it's something on a timer or something within the OS itself.

I had this happen in a completely different game, an MMORPG, started playing and things where fine at first and as I got more into it I started doing more research in the game-play down time where I would open a web-page on my second monitor. It wasn't as bad in the beginning but as the game got larger and more updates the slight interruption in CPU usage started to make a more noticeable stutter, took me forever to narrow it down to a web-page I had opened with an auto refresh browser extension enabled to stay updated. Of course it could be anything, but it's a thought, and Firefox using 12Mb of data could also be a slight strain on the system, doubtful though.

If you change the entire hardware, it would point at software no ? Have you updated the EVO firmware by any chance, i remember older versions having issues (notably the 840), you had to use Samsung Magician to fix it.

Also, have we troubleshooted GPU drivers (try installing older ones to see if the stutter is still there) ? Did you reset the games options when you changed everything ? some games make a list of your hardware and ask if you want to change to default values when you change something (most notably World of Warcraft and OpenGL games), noticed anything different there ?

I have not updated EVO firmware but I did run Sammsung Magician to see the health of the drives and it said perfectly healthy. Yes I did, I tried 2 different older drivers. And it has nothing to do with game options, since I just installed CS:GO 2 days ago and didn't have it for years and have stutters atm.

TL;DR all of it, the last few pages only, but anyone else on your internet? if no disregard. But it might still be your internet, but not the internet itself, just the pages you have opened especially if you have an auto-refresh enabled to stay updated on something. It could also be any pages you have opened have auto-update in the coding and even when minimized are still trying to update, which woudl interrupt CPU usage just enough to cause a stutter. and if it's something that happens regularly then it's something on a timer or something within the OS itself.

I had this happen in a completely different game, an MMORPG, started playing and things where fine at first and as I got more into it I started doing more research in the game-play down time where I would open a web-page on my second monitor. It wasn't as bad in the beginning but as the game got larger and more updates the slight interruption in CPU usage started to make a more noticeable stutter, took me forever to narrow it down to a web-page I had opened with an auto refresh browser extension enabled to stay updated. Of course it could be anything, but it's a thought, and Firefox using 12Mb of data could also be a slight strain on the system, doubtful though.

No they don't, sometimes my dad plays on his PS4, but I get stutters all the time even if he doesn't. Also I get FPS drops, in which the internet has no impact on from what I read. But I get stutters even if I have the internet browser off, and I've used 2 different internet browers on 2 different formats... It literally can't be that. I boot up the PC, turn the game on and get stutter.

In CS:GO it's different compared to COD. When I went into the cs game I got massive stuttering, which calmed down over the rounds.

Tbh guys, all this doesn't stick together and it's just so much bull.... I've channged so mmany parts that it's ridicilous. The only thing that comes to mind is Windows is affecting me, but why doesn't it affect other people I don't get it...

I don't understand how you can change your entire PC and still have the issue......... doesn't make much sense.

Yeah dude you can just imagine the frustration on my part... I literally don't know.

Use Samsung Magician and check the firmware, the 840 had speed issues, might translate to hiccups/stuttering during gameplay ?

Use Samsung Magician and check the firmware, the 840 had speed issues, might translate to hiccups/stuttering during gameplay ?

I don't think so because I've tried a completely different HDD that I don't use and still had the problems. Anyways I've done what you asked and did the firmware update, I've also done some performance optimisation. We'll see how it runs now.

Yeah still stutters... Is there anywhere a real solution?! Like I'm not blaming you guys at all, this is like ridicilous and impossible to find. I've prob spent like 50 hours just searching through the web for this, it shouldn't be that hard.

Maybe I should install windows 7 and try it? Or try that Windows 1607 version, but idk where to get a genuine copy, for some reason microsoft doesn't let you downnload these.

Well great I can't insntal windows 7 because "no drivers were found" after it boots it up. I tried fiddling about with USB 2.0 support and legacy support in bios, but nothing helped. Any ideas what else I can do?

I might just format my PC again for windows 10 but I'm really sick of doing it because I need to install everything. I haven't done a full cleann install since getting the new parts because everything "worked".. Idk. I want to try 1607 version but I can't find one from microsoft and I don't trust other sources really..

Last edited:
Back