• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game stuttering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What mouse and KB do you use, also are you using a USB hub or anything similar

What are you using for sound? On board, add in or through graphics?

latency 1.png

ss2.png

So.. today I opened my PC and had A LOT LOT less stuttering in COD, like I think I noticed 4/5 stutters across 3 matches, which was insanely good. The reason for that I don't know, but I booted up the PC and went straight to the game. I monitored my games with a program called LatencyMon that mesures different latency's including DPC latency. These screenshots show the results. Screenshot 1 shows the monitor after COD, and screenshot 2 shows it after CS:GO. I've reset the program after COD. The hard pagefault count on the second screenshot is higher because I opened the browser and it sky-rocketed. What do you guys think of these results, can you interpret them somehow?

Btw in CS:GO I still had stutters but less than when I tested yesterday. (yesterday I had bad stuttering in COD too). Today seems improved and I've done nothing. I don't get it.

The reason I asked about audio was there can be issues when onboard and the HDMI audio with the video card are both installed

Well coming from all the information we gathered I suspect it is windows that causes this. I mean what else could it be when I’ve changed almost the whole PC

Alright guys, I've re-installed Windows, things seem to be working OK, and the stuttering is liveable, I guess it's just the nature of some games and I can't do anything about it. I will just leave it at that. I am so grateful to everyone that tried to help me. Cheers!

If anyone comes across a potential solution to this tiny stuttering, you can always private message me. Thanks again guys, I really appreciated every bit of help!

Alright guys, I've re-installed Windows, things seem to be working OK, and the stuttering is liveable, I guess it's just the nature of some games and I can't do anything about it. I will just leave it at that. I am so grateful to everyone that tried to help me. Cheers!

If anyone comes across a potential solution to this tiny stuttering, you can always private message me. Thanks again guys, I really appreciated every bit of help!

One more thing you can try since you're using onboard sound, remove all the MSI drivers for sound and download the drivers direct from Realtek

Sorry to bring the topic back up, but I have something important to share. I just got BF V and I noticed it stutters at the start then it gets fine basically, same with cs:go, and league of legends. So basically I get stuttering, then the game "warms up" and is fine". There are occasional stutters then and there, but they aren't bad. It doesn't work on the game being open, but I'm talking about regular matches. Like I'd stutter at the start of a match, then it gets ok, then next match the problem repeats. Does this maybe ring any bells?

Thanks guys!

That sounds just like old/slow HDD loading textures or buffering sound at the start of a game, an SSD should not have that issue ?

Out of curiosity what's your sound settings in CP ? I know that Windows defaults to something like 48000hz 24bit, try lowering to 44000hz 16bit. Doubt it will solve it but some cards/drivers have issues with 24bit sound output. Also on the same tabs check if you don't have weird sound effects like surround/treble turned on on top of the sound settings you have in it's default program.

View attachment 202328

That sounds just like old/slow HDD loading textures or buffering sound at the start of a game, an SSD should not have that issue ?

Out of curiosity what's your sound settings in CP ? I know that Windows defaults to something like 48000hz 24bit, try lowering to 44000hz 16bit. Doubt it will solve it but some cards/drivers have issues with 24bit sound output. Also on the same tabs check if you don't have weird sound effects like surround/treble turned on on top of the sound settings you have in it's default program.

View attachment 202328

I tried lowering the sound quality like you said with no good results, and there is no effects on.

With the HDD statement, that's exactly what I was thinking... but the thing is I tried games on 2 SDD's and 1 HDD and the problem is there. Also, just tested, alt-tabbing out of he game does the same thing. It acts the same as if I started a new match, maybe slightly less stutters than a match start. As an example:
I go into cs:go
I start a match with bots offline
I run around the map stuttering
2nd lap around the map is 1000% SMOOTHER
I alt tab out of the game
Run around the map and get the stutters again.

Some people said this could be due to full-screen optimisating for cs:go, but that doesn't do anything when I disable it, and it happens in other games too so...
I hope this helps!

That reminds me of a setting in your nVidia CP - Shader Cache - try turning it off/on and see if there's any difference. Also if you play your games in true fullscreen (not windowed fullscreen/borderless) try changing "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames" to max (4) and play something, then to min (1) and try again, default is 3, and stick to whatever you like the most. Max forces the GPU to create more frame buffers before displaying which makes the gameplay smoother but creates some input lag, 1 removes input lag but makes gameplay jittery/stuttery. If you play in Windowed-Fullscreen/Borderless stay at default settings.

View attachment 202335

That reminds me of a setting in your nVidia CP - Shader Cache - try turning it off/on and see if there's any difference. Also if you play your games in true fullscreen (not windowed fullscreen/borderless) try changing "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames" to max (4) and play something, then to min (1) and try again, default is 3, and stick to whatever you like the most. Max forces the GPU to create more frame buffers before displaying which makes the gameplay smoother but creates some input lag, 1 removes input lag but makes gameplay jittery/stuttery. If you play in Windowed-Fullscreen/Borderless stay at default settings.

View attachment 202335

I tried that settings before and it didn't do anything. Same as with the frames, I tried those as well. I play in fullscreen all the time. :C

This is unsolvable hahaha

I think that if we solve this issue it will solve all the stuttering in all my games. Just need to find the problem... I think I've read everything online and there is no help there! Damn!

Another point to add is:
I get massive stutter in cs:go at the start of the match, however it happens only when I WALK/run around the map. When I stand still and move the mouse around it is perfectly smooth. So it is like when I walk the map generates and it stutters, but when standing still I get 0 stutter even at the start. It is the same in other games too I assume from what I noticed.

Back