• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gamepad/joystick problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

Hi, i have a rather odd problem using joysticks/gamepads on the game/MIDI port of my computer. i cant think of the name of the port, but its the one usually included on soundcards. anyway, my problem is, when ever i hook up a gamepad/joystick, it reads the axis as moving constantly, so when im in a game and try to assign moving, it automatically selects X or Y axis. i go into windows to calibrate, and the little + shape is slightly moving back and fourth....i thought it was my joystick so i tried a few others with no luck, and a game pad no luck. it isnt my motherboard tho, because i had this problem on my old mobo. i thought nothing of it then becuase the CTC controller went bad on it and i figured that affected it. i only now realize its something else when i hook it up to my currrent mobo and have this problem, then hook up to my soundblaster live and have the problem. i have no driver CDs, these are generic gaming devices. but if i try them on an older PC running windows 98 or so, no problems at all. anything i can do?

The port you are thinking of is the AUI port, I pressume this is Windows 2K/XP? It sounds like a problem the OS is having with the port to me. I would try calibrating the pad again, take a look at this knowledge base article here .

-Chris

There is an issue with the game port on computers - you're only allowed one enabled at a time, if you have two or more enabled, then they both head for the same resources, and go screwy as you've discovered...

The immediate solution that I can think of is to head into your BIOS, and look around for the option to disable the onboard gaming port, so that the only enabled one is the one on your Soundblaster LIVE.

When you say that the little cross is moving back and forth, do you mean twitching slightly, or going all over the calibrate box? If it's twitching, but otherwise okay, then maybe playing with the sensitivity control in your games might be worth a shot.

Good Luck!

Blueacid

well as of now i only have the installed, the one onmy mobo since i have no more 32bit PCI slots open. and t hats the way it has been. i do know where it is in the bios, i can specify the IRQ. also it doesnt move ALL OVER, its just ever so slighty. Sometimes you do not notice it, but once you enter a game it picks up on it instantly. I have calibrated it many times with no luck at all. i have assumed its a problem with win2k/XP only so thats what i figured.

ive tried the sensitivity. it had SOME luck in quake 3 but not much.

In the BIOS, the onboard game port should be somewhere having to do with integrated pepherials - look for that.... if you can find the onboard soundcard settings, its near those.

Sorry bout late reply lol - went to Rome for new-years :)

Disable the option for the onboard game port :)

its ok
but i do not have my SB live card in my rig mind you, so what do i do once i disable it?
yea i know thers USB controllers, and i have a few. but im a weird ambidextrious person that plays quake with mouse in one hand and old joystick in another

Oh, thought you had two gameports - cos that can cause crazy conflicts.....

....I'm stumped then. Try going into device manager and removing the game port (that's right, remove) then restart windows.

When it restarts, it should re-detect your gameport, maybe resolving some hidden configuration problem.

Failing that, i'm stuck :(

alright thanx, ill give it a shot...i cant beleive no one else has this problem? or am i just the only ambidextrious gamer that likes to show it off?

Back